DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Sony PD150 Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/357-sony-pd150-audio.html)

Derek Beck May 10th, 2003 03:20 PM

are we in agreement that newer pd150s don't have the hiss problem? (since i'm very nearly going to buy one of these in the next month or so, and audio is a BIG deal to me.)

Frank Granovski May 10th, 2003 04:29 PM

Read this too:

http://www.global-dvc.org/html/PD150.asp

Mike Rehmus May 10th, 2003 10:14 PM

Depends on exactly what you mean by good audio, Derek. Most DV and DVCam recorders installed in cameras are fed from not-so-hot preamps (as compared to the good stand-alone preamps you would use in a recording studio). So if you want totally silent background and perfect recordings, use an external sound system.

If, however, you want good audio recording of speech, reasonable music recording, the 150 will do it for you. I've yet to have problems with audio on mine and I use it for voice-over recording with studio microphones and recording the sound of a 50 caliber rifle firing. Does pretty good in both applications.

Harry Settle May 11th, 2003 08:35 PM

This may seem silly, but, I've run into this myself with my VX2K's, make sure that you don't have the headphone volume cranked up too far. Headphone volume is adjusted with the volume controls on the lcd panel. Every once in a while, I find my volume cranked to the max, for some reason. Then I spend an hour trying to figure out why I have the "hiss" again, until I remember to check.

Robyn Haste June 6th, 2003 06:26 PM

Me66 mic Mounting on PD150

Is there a cheap and effective solution to the size difference problem between the me66 and the PD150 mic mounting bracket?

So far I've just been putting some paper tape around the mic to make it 'bigger' and fit more snugly in the bracket.

But this doesn't seem like a reliable/professional answer.

I'd love to hear what others have done.

Thanks .
RH

Brian Pink June 6th, 2003 07:20 PM

i put a bunch of small rubber bands around it, and then a layer of gaffer tape over that. works great for me, and, frankly, if you look at a good mic shock-mount, its basically big rubber bands across a circle. =)

Adi Head June 7th, 2003 04:29 PM

i don't have the me66 yet, but plan on purchasing one soon. isn't there a problem with using the original pd150 mic mount with the me66 in the sense that it holds the me66 too close to the camera?

results: camera noise on tape, mic in frame when using wide angle adaptor.

curious to know if i'm wrong about this, because the sony CAC-12 mount costs around $175 at b&h!!

Brian Pink June 7th, 2003 05:08 PM

i don't get much camera noise, but if you have a WA on, you see the windscreen when zoomed all the way out ( with the Lightwave screen ) Take the screen off and you don't see it. If the shot is so quiet and controlled that camera noise is an issue, you probably shouldn't be using an on-camera mic, imo. That said, the mic has pretty good side/rear rejection, so its really not that noticeable.

Mike Rehmus June 7th, 2003 05:43 PM

Several companies make mounts that solve the close-in long microphone problem.

Sony's CAC-12 for $180 will do it. With this, the largest wind silencers will not show with the wide angle adapter.

Light Wave Systems mini-mount will do it. Think it is around $150.

Mike Murray June 19th, 2003 06:54 PM

Just pull the small rubber mount off of your stock mic. That works perfect and its free.

Neil Fisher June 20th, 2003 05:01 PM

<----but if you have a WA on, you see the windscreen when zoomed all the way out ---->

I have the Canon x.7 WA lens and am getting a ME66 within the next couple of days. Will I have to mount the mic further back. If so does it make the camera difficult to handle.

Rick Spilman June 20th, 2003 07:38 PM

Maybe I am missing something but it sounds like you are doing it the hard way.

I just mount the ME66 in the camera shoe with a Senn MZQ6 Mount and plug it into the second xlr plug. Often as not I record with both mikes. If I am using a wireless mike on the other channel I just take off the onboard mike.

Jeff Natalie June 23rd, 2003 06:12 AM

I built a homemade mike support for my azden (which doesn\'t fit in the factory bracket either. The nice thing about it is that it gives me some realestate on the PD150 to mount the Senn Evo reciever.

Donny Miele June 23rd, 2003 01:47 PM

Thanks for the link to the Lightwave minimount product.

Quick question regarding the Sony CAC-12 mount. I couldn\'t tell from the pictures of it how it mounts to the camera body. I would like to use one with my VX2000. Anyone know if it\'s possible?

Mike Rehmus June 23rd, 2003 02:20 PM

I removed the original microphone mount on my PD150 and the CAC-12 bolted right in.

You need a flat surface with two screw holes that line up for the mount. I wouldn\'t hesitate to drill two new holes in the mount if it were necessary.