DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Asia trip - VX2100 or HC1000?? Weight, size, performance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/38300-asia-trip-vx2100-hc1000-weight-size-performance.html)

Jack Wheeler January 25th, 2005 07:24 AM

Asia trip - VX2100 or HC1000?? Weight, size, performance

Thanks to all here who have helped me with my purchasing process...

I am going on a "round Asia" holiday and I think it will be a once in a decade type trip. My intention was to buy and take a VX2100, mostly because of my background as a hobbyist photographer - the easily reached manual controls, the expandability, the no compromise performance.
BUT
I also look at my still cameras gear bag and see that all of the big, fast lenses are gone, the multiple bodies, the fast primes - and replaced with a Canon G5 (the workhorse) a small pocket digi or two and a Leica M....because of my experience moving around and trying to blend with all of that long lens, fast prime, SLR/SLR Digital stuff.

So before I buy, I need to consider if (for a dedicated amateur) the HC1000 would be used more in the long run based on size and weight OR if I (one) would become quickly frustrated by it's point and shoot set up.

I try to imagine carrying around the VX2100 in Tokyo or Beijing and cursing that I am carrying it around - I am not there just to shoot video. But I also can see myself cursing that the light or moment is right and I should have gotten the VX for the simple quality....

Any advice, experience or thoughts?

Jeff Toogood January 25th, 2005 08:30 AM

Read the review here on the HC1000

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

They beat it up pretty bad.

A couple of things that really sound bad, is that it is stuck with only one size battery, you cannot buy extended life batteries for it, because of the camera design.

Plus having all the manual controls only accessible through a 2.5" LCD screen sounds horrible.

If I was looking for a 'small' 3CCD camera to take on vacation, I would probably look into Panasonic and possibly the GS400 or DVC30

Boyd Ostroff January 25th, 2005 09:19 AM

You might take a look at the PDX-10 which should be cheaper than the VX-2100 but also give you XLR's, DVCAM and native 16:9. At times when you need to save size and weight you can remove the XLR block and mono mike and use the internal stereo mikes.

I have both a PDX-10 and VX-2000 and would certainly prefer the PDX-10 for travel. Also, due to the 37mm thread size, filters and wide/tele adaptors are compact and inexpensive. The downside is poorer low light capability, but it still isn't bad unless you're shooting outside at night. The 14 bit DSP allows a gain boost of up to about 9dB with no noticeable noise problem. The VX-2100 will give you a little better image in 4:3 mode due to the larger CCD's, but for 16:9 the PDX-10 is far better.

The HC-1000 actually uses the same CCD's and lens as the PDX-10 (which accounts for the HC-1000's good 16:9 mode, one of its few advantages). With the NP-QM91 battery you will get about 4 hours shooting while using the LCD panel and phantom powered mike. The PDX-10 also has a hi-res black and white viewfinder and a big 3.5" LCD that's very bright and much better than the VX-2100.

Visit our forum for more discussion http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=43

Tom Hardwick January 28th, 2005 06:13 AM

I'd go along with all Boyd's said. The HC1000 really is a step down from the TRV950 and not meant for anyone who knows what "3 CCD" actually means. By the sound of your post Jack you're well versed in the pros and cons of hitch-hiking.

The PDX10's days may well be numbered as the TRV950 has now gone, but in my view Sony would be mad to ditch it. The gap between the HC1000 and the VX2100 is now huge, and the PDX10 fits in there quite nicely.

tom.

Jack Wheeler January 28th, 2005 09:39 AM

Thanks for the adcvice so far. I wil be looking seriously at the PDX over the weekend.

It seems to occupy, size/weight wise, the middle. It may be just what I need.

Jack Wheeler February 8th, 2005 06:59 AM

I was ready to buy last week, I stopped and have been wracking my brain since. By the time all of the accessories and base prices are added up, the VX is practically twice the price of the HC1000.

The issue that has stuck is: does the VX make sense for a recreational/holiday shooter? I am not going to make documentaries or films, but I am a fanatic when it comes to quality. I may shoot 5-10 hours a year....

Any last thoughts? Thanks

Tom Hardwick February 8th, 2005 08:47 AM

The VX may be too big, but I'd avoid the HC1000 on one fact alone, and that's the inability to take larger batteries. I'd look at the Panasonic 3 chip range, and make allowances for the fact that they all seem pretty useless in low light.

tom.

Boyd Ostroff February 8th, 2005 11:09 AM

Another thing to consider: Sony just offered a $200 rebate on the PDX-10 which brings its price at B&H down to around $1,600....

Samuel Birkan February 8th, 2005 01:41 PM

On a completely non technical note - in Thailand last year I noticed signs at some of the major tourist sites (Grand Palace for example) that had a picture of a Larger prosumer type camcorder with a red circle and slash thru it ! Also remember that SE Asia is very hot, you will really want to minimise the weight you carry around with you all day.
That being said , I did read a post somewhere about someone travelling with a VX2100 with no problems

James Connors February 9th, 2005 07:24 AM

would love to see someone with an xl1s get it pulled off em as i walk past with a pd150 stripped of any accessories, and a small discrete microphone :D that'd make my day.

Shawn Mielke February 9th, 2005 04:15 PM

You will get quality images with the PDX10, if you can deal with minimal manual control.

Mark Goodsell February 24th, 2005 10:16 PM

I've traveled in Europe with a cameras the size of a TRV950 and last time took a VX2000 and an external camera-mounted shotgun mic. I ditched the ME66 for an ME64 which is somewhat shorter, but as for the camera, it wasn't overly cumpersome because I made a special bag for it that is just bigger than the camera with some room for minimal accessories that I need during the day. I was very please with the footage expecially at night and indoors.

That being said, I think the ideal camera might be the PDX10. You can take off the mic and nobody will suspect it is a prosumer level cam. I have never seen it's low light capabilities, but pack a Sony 10/20W light and it'll help your night shooting a LOT. Enjoy.

Mark G