DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Homemade replacement mic mount (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/38862-homemade-replacement-mic-mount.html)

Jeff Alipit February 3rd, 2005 10:00 PM

Homemade replacement mic mount

This post may be interesting to some members.

I just purchased an AT 4073, and the AT8415 Shockmount with K-Tek suspension mounts. I've been browsing posts around here about mounting options. Most of all, I wanted to preserve the shoe for lighting, monitor, etc. However, after dishing-out all that cash, spending more $$$ for a LW MiniMount or CAC-12 was a stretch for my budget.

I was bored after work today, so I decided to try and fabricate my own replacement mic mount.
Well, after an hour of planning and 15 mins on AutoCAD, I came up with a "hack-job" proto-type. It took me about 45 mins. of careful measuring, chopping, bending and drilling. And another couple of hours to apply a few coats of paint.The main mounting area is about an inch further out and a 3/4" higher than the stock mount. I designed it this way knowing the AT Shock Mount would raise the overall location height of the mic.
As a side thought, I incorporated a 1 1/2" verticle surface area on the far end of the mount for velcro so I can mount a wireless receiver when necessary.
Overall, I am pretty pleased with my first attempt; with a wireless receiver attached the camera was a little unbalanced as expected, but best of all, the mic is isolated, the shoe is open and my out-of-pocket expense to build this thing was less than $3.00! Actually, if you figure in the AT Shock Mount and K-Tek suspension the total is more like $68. Still a pretty good deal.

Click on the link below to check out some pics and let me know what you think. Plenty of room for refinements so any new ideas would be great.

www.mediachute.com/pd170_mount/

Materials:
- 1/16" high grade aluminum
- 3/8" E-ring (keeps AT shock mount screw on my homemade mount so I don't lose it!)
- 2 self adhesive anti-skid rubber disks (keeps AT shock mount from rotating when attached to my mount)
-Velcro - for wireless receiver mount area
- Flat Black spray paint

~Jeff A

Tyge Floyd February 4th, 2005 01:52 AM

Very nice work.

I just got my new PD170 today from B&H.

Jeff Toogood February 4th, 2005 07:40 AM

How much pressure does that put on the stock screw holes? With the wireless on there, it would seem to be alot of weight pulling towards that side.

Jeff Alipit February 4th, 2005 07:53 AM

The pressure on the screws was an initial concern of mine as well; however, the added weight with the wireless did not seem to be significant enough to compromise the integrity of the mounting screws. I think though, if you were to use the mic mount as a handle, you'd have some problems! ;o)

Jeff Alipit February 4th, 2005 08:02 AM

I have had some questions about the gap between the mount and the surface area just above the XLR inputs. Right now there is a temporary rubber gasket in that space. I am intending on putting a fitted piece of rubber in that area as soon as I track down a suitable source; likely a slice from one of my old mouse pads.

Ken Beals June 4th, 2005 09:29 AM

Really impressed with the mic mount !

Have a question for you Jeff since I am now exploring the audio side of video....What were some of the reasons that helped you choose the AT 4073 to replace the Sony camera mic with ?

thanks for posting.

Jeff Sayre June 4th, 2005 12:22 PM

Finally, an answer to my problems!

Jeff:

This is exactly what I need! I'm a wildlife videographer and have had terrible problems with Sony's less-than-adaquate microphone mount on my
PD170. Both of my Sennheiser mics (ME62 & ME66) are too narrow, and fit loosely in the mount.

What do I do? I use a multifolded lens cloth and pack it in to make the fit more tight. It still is inadequate. The other issue is that the Sennheiser ME66 is so long that it is actually visible in the field of view when pulled most of the way out. From your pictures, it looks like the extra height your solution offers would take care of that problem as well.

I am selling my PD170 to purchase Sony's HVR-Z1U but from the looks of that camera, I'm sure it will have the same mic mount and therefore the same problems.

From looking at the pictures, I'm curious as to whether your adapter can be easily removed and replaced without stripping the screw holes. I would need to remove the mount in transit as it would not fit in my hard or soft cases with the extra arm sticking out.

I am not handy with mechanical fabrication of any type. You can ask me about bird calls, ecology, even strategic planning, but don't ask me to build anything!

So my question is this: Jeff, would you be willing to build some of your mounts for others?

Mike Rehmus June 4th, 2005 12:47 PM

A solution to the microphone mount is to obtain Sony's accessory mount for the big cameras that has a ball joint and moves the microphone off the camera by another 1-1.5 inches. You just remove the two screws on the original mount and replace it with the new mount. Same screws, etc. I've had one on my 150s for about 3 years and have never had a problem.

To adapt the fat Sony mounts to skinnier microphones, I just wrap the microphones with a rubber band. No-slip, no mess.

The advantage of the ball joint is you can flip the microphone around to store the camera in a bag.

Figure $185 new, about $75 used.

I cannot, right now, remember the model number but if you do a search on my name and microphone mount, you will find it.

Jeff Sayre June 4th, 2005 02:46 PM

Thanks for the information

Mike:

This is just the solution I need! Boy, I wish I had discovered dvinfo.net years ago. It would have saved me lots of headaches.

Here is Mike's post about the Sony CAC-12 Camera Microphone Holder:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/i...hp/t-3127.html

Here is the current BH Photo link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Type=accessory