DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Camera Comparisons (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/41119-camera-comparisons.html)

Douglas Johnson March 14th, 2005 02:26 PM

Camera Comparisons

My VX2000 is in the shop for the 2nd time in less than a year and they seem to keep it for such a long, long time. Last time was audio, this time I have intermitent audio and a stop action effect with video.

I'ts been a lot of places and done a lot of work. I haven't been totally displeased with the camera.

Now, perhaps a new rig.

You're probably tired of questions like this, but I'm torn between the XL2 and perhaps the PD170 or something else in a broad range around those two.

My primary use will be independent features and some travel stuff.

I feel as though I'm appealing to the 'Dear Abbey' of DV. What should I do.

Thanks,

Douglas

Mike Rehmus March 14th, 2005 03:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems with the camera.

I've got about 6+ years total experience with 2 PD150's (well three if you count the one Sony replaced) with only two problems. One, the susceptablity to EMF is a design flaw. The other was a bearing or two in the tape transport which they fixed within a week.

The advantage of the cameras handled by the Pro side of Sony is much better support at all levels.

I'd be inclined to get a 170 if I needed a replacement camera.

Were I in your shoes, I'd wait another year until the HDV dust clears a bit. Your 2000 is probably working OK and there is no business reason to dump it just yet as it will probably work for a while (or a long while).

Douglas Johnson March 14th, 2005 04:37 PM

CAMERA COMPARISONS

Thanks, Mike. The repair shop, having just gotten the camera today, has not yet provided a verdict.

While it's gone, I'll be using a friends Panasonic AGDVX100.

I may be getting a glimps of the carrot.

Regards,

Douglas

Dave Largent March 16th, 2005 08:10 AM

I've had three of the Sonys and each one has
needed to go in for repairs once or twice
within the first year.
All have had bad pixels on the CCDs. The
VXs had their mic jacks
just come loose and fall inward.
(The repair facility told me that loose
and non-functioning mic jacks is a
very common problem with the VXs
so if you are ever looking for a reason
to go with a PD over a VX ... )
And what really kills me on this is they've
all been babied, with light use!!!
I've got a PD that just went out of warranty
and developed a couple dead/hot
pixels that I have to somehow address.

BITTERMAN

Rhett Allen March 16th, 2005 01:24 PM

If you really need to get another camera I would lean towards the PD-170 if for no other reason than the image would better match your current VX. Then you would have a second camera or a backup camera that you could match images with on a shoot.
The customer service on the "pro" side of Sony is much better too.

Tom Hardwick March 17th, 2005 02:01 AM

I go with Rhett. The PD170 is the one I'd go for, though I can well see the seduction potential of the DVX100A or the XL2. But as the VX2100 has been discontinued, can the PD170 be far behind? What about going for the Z1?

tom.