DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   just got a pd-150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/46481-just-got-pd-150-a.html)

Ryan Lee June 19th, 2005 11:29 PM

just got a pd-150

I just got a sony pd-150 from b and h photo. I have noticed a few things. When i looked at it in the store the serial number was there and everything seemed ok. Now it was shipped to me and i find out that not only is the serial number ripped off of the bottom. But i also notice an audible noise when i zoom in and out. this noise is picked up by the mic. Does anyone else experience this noise. The cam has 41X10 hours on it. And if people do have this noise is it covered under the Mack warrenty. Also should i just take advantage of the 7 day return policy or what?

Don Bloom June 20th, 2005 12:58 PM

RETURN IT ASAP! Call B&H tell them what happened with the serial number and get an RA. They're pretty flexible and you should be able to get another used 150 from them with a serial number.
As for the noise you're hearing, my guess is you're running the camera on AGC and it will pick up all kinds of noise but generally most of it never hits the tape. AGC will adjust the floor noise to keep up with the audio and if you're not recording what you're hearing is just that. Floor noise.
However since you're not comfortable with the camera and no serial number, I would call and return it. The next one probably won't be any better as far as the noise but a lot will depend on the actual age of the camera. The first production run had some audio issues but it was fixed after a number of complaints. I've got 2 early 150s but after the fix and really have no problems with either camera. Both have 900 hours of use and just keep on tickin'.

HTHs, Good Luck,
Don

Mike Rehmus June 20th, 2005 01:08 PM

You will pick up the zoom noise, especially with the NR switched off in the menus. However, without a serial number, you may have a hard time getting Sony to work on the camera.

As Boyd suggests, take it back. Call them first and tell them what the problem is with the SN. I doubt that they will buy the idea that the zoom is noisy as that is normal to all 150's with the microphone in the stock holder.

Boyd Ostroff June 20th, 2005 01:21 PM

Heh, I would suggest that, but actually it was Don who did... :-)

Mike Rehmus June 20th, 2005 01:40 PM

Well it WAS one of the good guys.

Ryan Lee June 20th, 2005 02:44 PM

on my way

yeah im on my way to b and h in about 20 minutes and i will take up with them the issue of the serial number. But just to make sure. Everyone gets the zoom noise??? or just the older ones. And if so is this fixable? if anyone is on that can help please do so. I have to decide in the next 20 mins whether to return it or not.

THanks

Don Bloom June 20th, 2005 05:20 PM

Ryan,
Regardless of the zoom noise which everyone I know that owns a 150 or 170 have the motor noise, but the issue is no serial number! B&H is as reputable as they come but I would be very leery of owning a piece of equipment like that with no serial number.

Go back to B&H my friend!

Don

Ryan Lee June 21st, 2005 11:29 AM

update

yeah they claimed that the one i saw had no serial number. But i know the one i saw did have a serial. Well they foudn one that was in "Repair" that had no assesories and they switched the assesories to this one and put the no-serial in "repair" thus i get one that is probably 1 or 2 models (by model i mean later production) higher then the old one. and it only has 29x10 in stead of 41x10. and it is in much better condition.

I must admit i thought they were pulling a scam and just covering their tracks however. Witht he whole show the serial number one then ship a stolen non-serial.

But regaurdless i am very happy with the new camera

now how do i minimize the motor noise when using the shotgun mic included(i assume when i use a boom the noise wont show up).

Don Bloom June 21st, 2005 12:15 PM

TO lessen the noise, first run a test tape using your audio setting the way you think you'll use them as a general rule. Dump the tape into your NLE and see if you even hear the noise. You might not. If you don't hear it in your NLE then just either live with the fact that you hear it in your headphones or lower the volume to your headphones.

If you do hear it in your NLE then there are many things you can do to lessen the noise.
1) Shock mount or SOny CAC12 mount which will pull the mic farther away from the motor therfore lessening the noise.
2) Get another mic. I found that for really important critical work the stock mic isn't the mic of choice anyway
3) Take the camera off of AGC and run the audio manually

Remember the AGC of the 150 is not a true AGC but a soft limiter and when its on will adjust what it "hears" to a level that the camera feels is workable, so if there is no other noise going on it will raise the motor noise. Once someone starts talking the noise will usually lessen as the person speaking is louder than the noise.

Depending on what I'm doing, I might run channel 1 in AGC and channel 2 in manual or both might be run manually. It just depends but honestly even in AGC on channel 1 I haven't noticed the noise to be a big issue.

Have fun with your new toy!

Don

Ryan Lee June 21st, 2005 11:44 PM

just one more question

what are resonably priced carrying options for my new cam.

i wanted hard case but prices are high

any thoughts
thanks

Mike Rehmus June 21st, 2005 11:48 PM

Ryan, there are so many answers to that question already in the archives that I'm asking you to do a search on the subject.