DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   My PD-170 & VX-2000 have different light capabilities? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/47114-my-pd-170-vx-2000-have-different-light-capabilities.html)

Tim Polster July 2nd, 2005 03:36 PM

My PD-170 & VX-2000 have different light capabilities?

Hello,

I was shooting a wedding today with my PD-170 & VX-2000 and after the ceremony and set them both side by side and compared the two.

Both cameras were at F 4.0, ND filters off, Shutter speed of 60.

The VX-2000 captured a lot more light.

So much that I checked to see if the PD had an ND filter on.

Has anybody else noticed this?

I would think the "pro" version of a camera should be able to match the consumer version in performance.

I can't call Sony until Tuesday, so if anybody has had any experience comparing these cameras, please let me know.

I am wondering if my PD-170 is functioning properly.

When I go all the way open on the VX, the screen will wash out, when I open up on the PD with the gain at 18, the screen is not all washed out, overloaded.

Thanks for any help.

Patrick Moreau July 2nd, 2005 10:25 PM

I have noticed the same thing before as I have the exact same setup as you, but I think it has more to do with the PD170's hybrid LCD over any real difference in picture quality. Have you actually shot footage side by side and imported it to see the difference on the same monitor?

Tim Polster July 2nd, 2005 11:06 PM

Hello,

Yes, I just imported some footage today.

The VX-2000 picks up noticeably more light than the PD-170.

Also, I noticed on my PD-170, when I turn the gain up past 0, the image does not go to clipping but instead loses color saturation.

I tested this in my office and the VX-2000 opened up to the whole screen overexposing/clipping.

In the same room the PD-170 wide open did not clip at all.

Way less light is being converted.

Anybody else notice this with the PD-170 gain?

Tom Hardwick July 5th, 2005 01:21 AM

It really does sound as if your PD has a problem that should be addressed Tim. For starters Sony introduced the VX2.1k and PD170 with the claim that they'd shoot in even lower light levels than the 2000/150 (1 lux instead of 2).

There could also be production tolerances at work and these can be fine tuned using the custom presets, but I fear your 170 sounds to be plain faulty, and no CP tweaks will help. Still under guarantee maybe?

tom.

Tim Polster July 5th, 2005 02:00 PM

Hello,

I talked to Lou at Sony and he walked me through the settings and I discovered it was a shutter inconsistency between the two cameras.

The VX was staying at a shutter of 60 and PD must have been higher, which resulted in a darker picture.

I now know to always have the shutter speed visible when I want to control the camera, otherwise, the camera may want to put it at a different level.

Thanks!

Tom Hardwick July 6th, 2005 12:49 AM

That's quite correct - you must have both shutter speed and aperture setting visible to know they're locked. It's also worth going into the menu and switching the 'auto shutter' to off, and using the built-in ND filters lots of the time.

tom.