DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 Replacement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/474775-vx2000-replacement.html)

Rick Newsom March 14th, 2010 02:33 PM

VX2000 Replacement

I've had fun and made a few dollars with my VX2000, but for me, it's now time to think about a replacement.

I would like something HDV, and tape-less, with similar manual controls and low light capability to the VX2000.

Can someone either point me to a thread or offer a recommendation?

Adam Gold March 14th, 2010 05:34 PM

Check out the threads in this forum:

Sony NXCAM HXR-NX5U Forum at DVinfo.net

The AX2000 might be just what you are looking for, although at only a few $$ more the NX5 is a better value.

By the way, when you say HDV and tapeless I assume you just mean HD and tapeless, as HDV is specifically a tape format. Although you could just use a tapeless recorder on an HDV cam like the Z5 or FX1000 and make it a tapeless HDV cam.

Robert Welch March 16th, 2010 07:58 PM

Rick,

We upgraded our collection of VX2100s to the Panasonic HMC-150 which is a tapeless AVCHD cam. The Sony AX2000 is about the same price and a direct competitor in features to our Panys, we probably would have gone with the AX2000 had it been released just 6 months earlier. We are happy with the Panasonic as a replacement for out 2100s, and I imagine the AX2000 is probably even nicer in some respects. The low light of the the HMC-150 isn't as good as the VX2100 was, with the gain up to 12db I'd say the Pany is still at lease a full stop lower in sensitivity (which is good for HD 1/3rd chip). I never had a VX2000 so I can't say how that would compare. As for the AX2000, I'm sure it's at least as good as our Panasonics, probably better in low light would be my guess, so it's probably a good replacement for the VX2000. And you'll love not having to deal with tape anymore. We just threw away a giant garbage bag of tapes, I tried to add up the total of what they cost us, at least a $1,000 in tapes. What we will save in future tape purchase will buy a lot of reusable memory cards!

Robert

Peter Greis March 20th, 2010 10:25 AM

Updating from the VX2000

I went through the same process as you are doing.

I used my VX2000 for a number years and then decided to make the jump to HD.

I chose a year or so ago to go to HDV and stick with Sony. I chose a Z7 to have both Compact flash recording and tape. This allowed me to continue to use tape to archive my work while use the CF to easily transfer for editing.

Additionally I could use my collection of Sony L batteries in the Z7 and editing HDV was a relatively easy move from editing DV.

Today, you have a new crop of AVCHD cameras all recording to solid state media as opposed to tape.

Most people regard AVCHD as more robust encoding than HDV. However, AVCHD today is a challenge to edit natively on all but the most powerful systems. I typically transcode to an easier to edit format. This of course takes time. You will also have to consider your archiving strategy with AVCHD whereas with HDV I always the tape which is cheap and ubiquitous.

Of course over time those limitations I'm sure will be addressed but for me the decision a year or so ago was HDV and I've been very happy with the choice. I am also experimenting with AVCHD but I don't see going to it completely for some time.

I have kept my VX2000 and still use it. You can't beat it's low light performance!

Since most of what I produce ends up on DVD for distribution using HDV gives me a good solution for my work. Even DV on VX2000 produces a great picture for the DVD format.

Mark Goodsell March 30th, 2010 09:28 PM

Rick, I went through the same thing around xmas time. I love my VX2000. I was skeptical of upgrading mostly due to the low light. I used a WA lens on mine and it seemed to 'make' light where little existed. That cam and I have been all over the place. I love that VX2000 of mine. There was a sentimental side of me that didn't want to upgrade it. After getting the Z5, I did a side by side antecdotal comparison between the two cams next to each other on tripods. I believe the low light capabilities of the Z5 is equal (if not even a touch better) than the VX2000 just because it seems to develop less noise at low light and colors appear a little nicer. Anyway, this family of Sony cams are great in low light.

Overall, the Z5 really ROCKS compared to the VX2000! It is a superior cam in every way I can think of. The Sony batteries I used in my VX2000 work in the Z5 (and other cams of this family). I don't need a W/A lens adapter anymore because the Z5 lens is as wide. The servo lens control rings on the Z5 are instantaneous and seem to be as good as manual rings. The menu system is chock full of great and usefull options. Audio is vastly superior. The ergonomics are better. Its a touch larger, but not so much as to be obtrusive. Sony could have kept the same menu dial as the VX has but it's not as big of a deal as you read about on the web.

Image-wise, on a 40" LCD TV, the VX2000 looks suprisingly good. But the Z5 images are stunning by comparison. Actually, I have a Canon HV30 and the images that come out of that are vastly superior to the VX on the big screen. Seriously, I haven't used our VX since I got into the Z5. I need to get it ready for Ebay.

So, when you get ready to make the jump, deciding which cam to get will be the fun part. The Z5 with the Card adapter is a good combo if you like tape. The NXcam is another good option to consider. I personally am glad I sprun for the Z5 with the audio options vx the FX. Good luck on your decision...