DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   a question about playback problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/48920-question-about-playback-problems.html)

Sheri Delia August 6th, 2005 06:31 PM

a question about playback problems

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and searched the past threads for my problem with no luck. I just purchased a used vx2000 and it worked great the first time I imported footage but now the play function is stalling. I press 'play' and it sounds like its going to start playing and then its stops. I tried importing directly into iMovie with the same problem. Checked the tape, battery, and connections... since I can hear the cassette begin to start I think the connections are ok. Sounds like something is wrong with the tape deck.

Does this sound like a simple 'clean the heads' problem?

If so, is there a specific head cleaner anyone would reccommend for this camera? I haven't been able to locate a 'sony' cleaner in local stores yet.

Thanks for any advice!
-Sheri

Boyd Ostroff August 6th, 2005 06:53 PM

Unfortunately that doesn't really sound like dirty heads. I have a VX-2000 and haven't seen this myself. What kind of tapes are you using? It just might be related to binding in the cassettes. I've always used the Sony Premium tapes (which you should be able to find at all the "big box" stores like CompUSA, Best Buy, Target, WalMart, etc).

You might try pushing the little reset button and see if it helps. Maybe Mike or someone else will have a few other suggestions. BTW welcome to DVinfo - I lived near Syracuse for many years and worked at Syracuse Opera and SUNY Oswego; am in the process of selling a house in Sterling NY right now! Beautiful area. :-)

Mike Rehmus August 6th, 2005 07:29 PM

The first thing to do is to fast forward the tape to the end and rewind it. That should handle any reel binding problems in the cassette.

Also try another cassette and see if that works OK.

Also, make certain the tape is rewound in the first place. Many people make this mistake once or twice in their careers. Some of us more often.

Sheri Delia August 6th, 2005 08:16 PM

Hi Boyd and Mike,

The reset button worked! But as a precaution I am taking your advice and forward/rewinding the tape... its a JVC cassette (cringe) but I've already purchased some SONY premiums after reading other postings on this forum, and don't plan on using anything other than that in this camera from now on.

I've spent hours searching for the cause of this problem the past few days hoping I didn't buy a bad camera.... thanks a mill for the suggestions!

Boyd: Yes... Central NY is beautiful! And Sterling is famous for its festivals. Incidently I am moving to MD in a few weeks! Can't hack the 5 month winters anymore.... as pretty as it is.

Thanks Again.... Sheri