DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 video pixelation problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/492561-vx2000-video-pixelation-problems.html)

Troy Davis March 2nd, 2011 07:20 PM

VX2000 video pixelation problems

Hello,

I have a vx2000 that appears to be having tape alignment issues. I say this because during the first 7-8 mins of recording the video is pixelated. The remaining video is perfect. My question is whether there's a single component I can replace myself to correct the problem? And yes I have tried a tape cleaner that does not clear up the problem. If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate a response.

Thanks,
Troy

Mike Rehmus March 2nd, 2011 07:30 PM

Re: VX2000 video pixelation problems

Some of the transport parts in these cameras were trouble-prone. Sony replaced the tape tension roller in my PD150 when it failed at a young age.

Unless the lube in the transport has to 'warm-up' because it is old, I don't know why alignment would be a problem and then clear up. I'd guess, understand 'guess' that it might be a head problem.

You are using new tape or reusing tape? Re-recording over old tape sometimes doesn't always work as I found out.

I don't know if Sony will still work on the 2000. I just had my PD150 worked over by them and it was $677 flat rate done at their Pro division in Los Angeles. They went through it with a fine tooth comb and it should be ready for another 8 years of use.

Troy Davis March 2nd, 2011 07:47 PM

Mike,

That's simply a guess that it's an alignment problem. I mentioned that because like clock work at about 7-8 mins. everything is fine. I've taken the cam apart before, so that's why I was asking if there's a single component that can be replaced to correct the problem. As for recording over old tapes I don't do that. All tapes are new Sony premiums. If I have to take it to the shop that's fine, but if it's something I can do myself w/o needing special equipment I could save some cash.

Troy

Mike Rehmus March 2nd, 2011 07:55 PM

Well, then. I'd manually clean the heads with the proper cleaning solution and a chamois cleaning 'cloth' assuming you know how to clean heads. I'd also clean the tape path with the same solution and a non-fuzzy cloth or q-tip style cleaning wand made for the task. I used to have a lot of those tools but they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Then, if I had the proper oils and oiling tools, I'd oil the rolling and then grease the sliding bits in the transport.

Other than that, it takes special tools to detect if the heads are worn out or the transport is out of alignment.

Other than that, I'm out of altitude, speed and ideas and would send it off to a known good repair facility.

Mike Rehmus March 2nd, 2011 07:59 PM

I must say that just before I approved the Sony estimate, I almost had them return it and buy another Nikon DSLR with movie capability. However, I have all the goodies for the 150 and I like it. I am not certain the Nikon would perform as well in low light situations and it is probably superior in the sound side of things too.

But I won't have my DSR-300 serviced when it needs it, I will buy a Nikon DLSR with movie capability before I do that.

I'd switch in an instant to a DSLR if, while 'filming,' I could also grab high-resolution images without stopping the full-motion capture.

Troy Davis March 2nd, 2011 08:08 PM

thanks. Wish it was as simple as replacing the tape transport.