DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Where do I begin? Need to make a choice. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/4946-where-do-i-begin-need-make-choice.html)

Elephant November 14th, 2002 09:03 PM

Where do I begin? Need to make a choice.

I have been thinking about my camera purchase a lot and this board has been VERY helpful.

I am torn between buying a PD150 and sticking with the stock microphone or the GL2 with a Canon XLR adapter and a ME66/K6 setup. I have no phantom option with the Canon setup.

I cannot say specifically what I will need to record, only that I want *better* than the omni directonal built in mics on the GL2 and capability for up to 2 mics with off camera options too.

I did think about the VX2000 with all the necessary add ons for XLR but apparantly the hiss is awful and I don't want to invalidate the warranty with the BBC mod.

I am really stretching my budget here. I don't want to get smaller than 1/3" ccds as a rule but people have been raving about the GL2.

Does anyone have any ideas?

(Hmmm... is this is in the right forum area...?)

Bryan Beasleigh November 15th, 2002 12:52 AM

You hear the hiss is awful! Your going to buy a $2000 - $3000 camera based on someone elses opinion. Shame on you! Get out and try them yourself. The moon is made of green cheese, or so I hear! Do you believe that one?

People get what they deserve. Use the info gleaned on the web as a guide only. Form your own opinions based on actual usage. Have you actually looked at or tried any of the cameras you speak of?

I'm running a VX2K with a Sennheiser K6/ME66 and I hear no hiss at all. The sound isn't perfect on a $2500 camera but it's not bad when the right equipment is used. Manny of the people that pass judgement of the various cameras have yet to own one or for that matter even try them.

Before I made my final decision , I compared the XL1S, Gl1, PD150, VX2K and the TRV900. I actually did about 4 comparisons on tape and reviewed them until I was threatened with divorce and dismemberment.

With the current crop i'd try the DVX100, XL1S , PD150 , VX2000,JVC 300U , GL2 and TRV950. They're all good cameras, it's gotta be the one that floats your boat.

Elephant November 15th, 2002 03:29 AM

If i didn't make this clear then it is my fault:

1. I have tried the cameras in-store to the point of embarasement.
2. there is no where I know in the UK where a dealer would allow buying and then returning OR recording onto a tape before purchase.

I appreciate the help but find it a little annoying I get branded with that 'oh he is just basing everything on message board info and hasn't got a clue' attitude.

Are you using the beachtek adapter?

Frank Granovski November 15th, 2002 04:59 AM

Yes, Bryan is using the Beachtek adaptor, model number: DXA-4, Senn ME66/K6, Manfrotto 074 video legs and 136 head. (Don't ask me how I know.)

But since you are in the UK, you should get the BBC's VX2000 audio fix. That's the best solution (and you don't have to send it to the UK! you're already there.) Go for it. You won't be sorry, whether you go with Bryan's set-up, or the BBC fix.

Bryan Beasleigh November 15th, 2002 06:08 PM

Elephant
Sorry for the rant but far too many people do exactly what i had said.

You did try the cameras and you know what they feel like. I'd go for the VX2k with the BBC fix or the PD150.
If you went for the VX2K with the Glennsound and a sennheiser mic you could always get the BBC mod done later. The weakness is in the VX2K's preamp and it doesn't really affect the sound unless the input is very low and the gain is cranked up past 50%.

The Glennsound is amplified so you could just switch the mic switch on the VX2K to line in . I'll bet dollars to holes in donuts that you'd have absolutely no problem. Worst case scenario is you'd have the BBC modification done and wind up with sound that meets the spec of the most fussy (and anal) broadcast group in the world. It's a win win situation in my opinion.

If you went with the PD150, you'd still need a decent mic.

If you have any questions email me at beaser@eudoramail.com

Bryan Beasleigh November 15th, 2002 06:16 PM

From the Glensound site:

A new version of the GSTN1 is now available designed to be compatible with the VX2000. When used inconjunction with a modification to the VX2000 (undertaken for a fee by a department of the BBC (contact details on request)) this new GSTN1 offers a superior sound than Sony's professional DVCs.

http://www.glensound.co.uk/

It's 258 GBP or $640 Candian or around $410 US.
the BeachTec is 107 GBP
http://www.beachtek.com/

Zac Stein November 15th, 2002 07:53 PM

Somehow i highly doubt there isn't places that allow satifaction returns. Even in little old Australia, where the market is tiny, if we purchase something like a vx2000 or a pd150, we have a 45 day money back no questions asked satifaction deal. (unless you damage the camera)

But if a huge makret like the UK won't allow that , it is very cheap just to rent the camera for a day and go crazy with it. It might end up costng you $100 to try them all out, but $100 is nothing for a piece of mind.

kermie

Jeff Donald November 15th, 2002 08:35 PM

Sorry to say but the US is a little different. Most camcorders have a 10 day return policy. The return may have a restocking fee imposed or not depending on the merchant. Why did the chains settle on 10 days and not 14 days? They were getting burned by people "buying" them, going on vacation for 2 weeks, then returning the camcorder. When most of the chains went to that in the mid '90's surveys showed a decrease in returns of up to 60%.

Jeff