DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Squirrely Menu Wheel Selector/Button (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/51569-squirrely-menu-wheel-selector-button.html)

Paul Vlachos September 22nd, 2005 04:53 PM

Squirrely Menu Wheel Selector/Button

Hi All.

On my 170, just today, the little button on the back that you scroll through menus with and push to select - it got a tiny bit squirrely. Meaning, it still works with the detents, but it will also start jumping a little when I just touch it in one direction.

Has this happened to anyone else yet?

I can live with it for now - I HAVE to because I have work every day for the next three weeks and only pray that it doesn't get worse. If it stays the way it is, I'll be okay. I have a window in November when I can send it in to Sony.

Of course, I refused to give them the 800 bucks they wanted to extend my warranty. Ugh.

Just wanted to know how common this might be.

Thanks

Boyd Ostroff September 22nd, 2005 04:54 PM

A little while ago someone posted that they had the same problem on their VX-2000....

Ethan Cooper September 22nd, 2005 07:52 PM

My trusty old vx2000 started doing the same thing close to 4 months ago and yes, it does get worse. Mine still works though... barely.

Paul Vlachos September 22nd, 2005 08:05 PM

Why have you not sent it in for service yet?

Ethan Cooper September 22nd, 2005 10:58 PM

I havent sent it in for service cause that would cost me money. I have no extended service plan and have no clue what that repair would cost me. So as long as the camera works I see no need to send it off. I really dont use that wheel much anyway to be honest.

Paul Vlachos September 23rd, 2005 05:15 AM

Ah. Okay.

Unfortunately, I have to use mine on the 170 to set everthing fron mic levels to every last menu item. I end up using it constantly every day.

I'm still glad I didn't give them the money cause they just wanted too much for that plan - a quarter of the camera's price. Still, let's see what they'll want to charge me when I do send it in.

What a drag.

Paul Vlachos September 26th, 2005 08:04 AM

Taking the 170 in today to an authorized service center near me, in Manhattan.

Sony service wanted a flat fee of $575 to fix whatever is wrong with it and that, I feel, is a ripoff.

Even Nikon doesn't get away with stuff like that.

So I'll go to this place and get an estimate and compare, then I'll post what's up here.

In the meantime, I found on CL and bought a low-hours PD-150 for a good price. I'll use that for the next month and either sell it or keep it for another six months, at which point I'll probably sell both and buy into HDV.

I really want to wait for the successor to the Z1, though, for many reasons, not least of which is being in the middle of a few big projects now, but also because I just think it'll be kickass when it comes out.

I also like to buy expensive items when they're brand new, even though that sometimes puts me in the recall brigage; it also makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth and less bad when the next version comes out.

Are there any rumors from Sony on that yet or am I whistling in the dark?

I'll keep you posted on my 170's control wheel.

Tom Hardwick September 26th, 2005 09:55 AM

Keep whistling in the dark for a few more years Paul. The PD150 arrived in 2000 and is only now leaving us as the PD170, 5 years later. The Z1 has been here nearly a year, so you've got a bit of a wait as I see it.

tom.

Paul Vlachos September 26th, 2005 11:44 AM

Tom,

That's why I try to stay flexible. I don't want to keep the other cameras too long so, if there are no rumors or any hints in six months or so, and once I wrap up shooting for these two projects and get into post, about the same time, I may very well just make the jump then. I can offset a good chunk of the cost by selling those two at the same time.

<whistling>

Paul Vlachos September 29th, 2005 07:23 AM

Got the estimate yesterday - $279 + the $60 I had left for the estimate = $339 total.

This is to replace the select-wheel board which, I assume, also contains the select wheel. The part is about $45, so that's mainly labor at this Sony-certified repair shop in Manhattan.

I don't need to send it to Teaneck, lose a couple of weeks, hassle the shipping of it, and spend $575.

So I'll take it.

Looking at the Z1 for late winter.

They'll also spec and check the camera, which is nice.

Paul Vlachos October 13th, 2005 08:24 AM

Got the camera back Monday and it's great. Got the old part, too. It's basically the wheel on a very small board. Interesting mechanism, especially the push part of it. I still can't figure out why it loosened - the rotating part - but I'm going to take it apart this weekend and will hopefully get a better idea.

Just wanted to update people.