DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   how worn out is this cam (pd150)??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/51884-how-worn-out-cam-pd150.html)

Shea Goodall September 28th, 2005 08:24 AM

how worn out is this cam (pd150)???

I've recently got my hands on a PD150. Was just wondering what condition it is in and if there is anything I should look out for? The previous owner used it for weddings.

The camera is 3 years old. Log Details: Operation: 48 X10 H Drum Run: 45 x 10 H Tape Run: 21 x 10 H Threding: 40 x 10

Serial is: 1022968 (post hiss cam??)

And he has been using Panasonic tapes exclusively.

Thanks

Jeff Toogood September 28th, 2005 10:54 AM

480 hours of operation
450 hours on the drum
210 hours on tape run
40 tapes threaded

Guys, is this correct?

Shea Goodall September 29th, 2005 05:42 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that is what it means. I just wondered what I can expect from a PD150 that has seen this many hours? What would this level of usage be classed as?? What can I expect to go first? And it there anything I should keep an eye on?

Shea

Don Bloom September 29th, 2005 06:24 AM

Well Although its no "newborn" it certainly isn't "old and gray". Both of mine which are 1 year older have almost double the hours and work just fine however I have owned them since they were both little puppies and have watched them grow into mature finely trained pooches, ooooppppps, thinking about something else, sorry. The fact is though that both of my 150s have had ZERO factory maintainence but have both been cared for. I have only used 1 brand of tape thru out their lives, and honestly have only run a head cleaner tape thru 1 camera twice and the other once. If proper cared for these things are tough as nails. Now having said that, the heads on them are due for replacement as generally they are good for about 1000-1200 hours and head and transport replacement runs about $800 I believe. Nonetheless, the camera you're looking at might well be worth it BUT if you do purchase it I would first run a cleaning tape thru (follow instructions to the letter) then decide on 1 brand of tape and stick with it THEN in your slow season or when you can afford it send it in to be checked out by an authorized Sony repair center-clean and align the heads and whatever else they do and the camera should be good for you for a long time to come. The 150/170 cameras are built to last and they will with a little TLC.
You asked is there anything else you should keep your eye on? Yes, always look at the LCD or in the VF when shooting-sorry, its early and I'm fiesty in the morning :-)
Seriously, it sounds like its been used but not necessarily abused. Look for finish worn off, check for a loose "on-off-record" switch make sure the audio switches work (ch1/2 etc) and check the "auto-manual" switch as well as the WB,shutter,gain and iris button-just to make sure everything works OK.

HTHs
Don

James Connors September 29th, 2005 06:33 AM

The Sony's are hard little beasts, I can't remember my times off hand, and I know for sure the amount of different branded tapes that have gone thru the deck are "higher than recommended" for sure.. its been dropped onto hard concrete, it gets lugged around in a rucksack most of the time....

It can handle some abuse I know that much!

Shea Goodall September 29th, 2005 06:43 AM

Thanks for the advice!! The previous owner assures me it was babied and pampered. He was after all relying on it for his income. I even have it in writing. I was just not sure what hours are expectable in a cam like this. I'm new to the world of MiniDV/DVCAM.....

I should get it by Monday.... I'm quiet excited to say the least!! I'll be sure to give it the once over before any $$$ changes hands.

Oh, and no need to apologise for you'll little pun. This type of humour is right up my alley (insert a pun here)! Hahaha

Great to here that it is such a tough cam. Hopefully not too tough though...... Though guys can be scary.

Later,
Shea

James Connors September 29th, 2005 10:27 AM

So what kinda cams are you used to ? Something higher in grade or lower? Or are you a total newbie to the world of video?

It'd be quite interesting to learn video with the PD150 as a first camera, its not so user unfriendly so shouldn't be hard to learn on, and it gives you a great amount of control and lets you automate whatever you need to... less silly features like you'd get on consumer cameras too.

Mike Rehmus September 29th, 2005 12:23 PM

40 x tape threadings really is 400, not 40 which is about right for that many hours.

The camera has at least 2/3rds or the life left on the transport and heads if tape brands haven't been swapped and maybe even if they have been.

That said, failures can happen at any time. Sony had to swap out the entire transport on my first 150 because so many parts failed at around 500 hours. They couldn't understand why so many parts failed simultaneously.

James Connors September 29th, 2005 03:30 PM

My current readings are 54 / 24 / 14 / 96 (x10 natch!)

It was second hand, i wish i'd written down the readings when i first got it. As long as it lasts me a few more years i'll be happy.. alas due to deck prices being stupidly high and no reasonably priced solution, everything has to get run thru my cameras.