DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD150 parts question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/522303-pd150-parts-question.html)

Kurt Franz March 19th, 2014 03:13 PM

PD150 parts question

Hello,
First time here. I need to know if it is possible to transfer the entire tape transfer mechanism including the drum assembly, from a TRV900 to a PD150. My 150 is having issues and I have a working 900 that I would like to use as the donor.

From looking at the service manuals for both models the parts all look to be the same on the pages that comprise the necessary components.

It would be most appreciated to hear from folks who are knowledgeable about this, As I am concerned that even if I cleanly swapped the parts there are other configurations and adjustments that I would not be able to accomplish without specialized tools.

I am not a cheap sob but if this is straightforward I would not mind saving a few bucks

Thanks in advance

KF

Dave Blackhurst March 19th, 2014 09:14 PM

Re: PD150 parts question

Check the part #'s, and it might be worth checking around to see what part #'s cross. Offhand, there's a good degree of likelihood that the tape carriage assembly is the same, but might carry different part #'s. In theory it should be possible to "transplant" the entire mech, and it "should" work. You might find yourself having to adjust tracking, or you could get lucky. It's a pretty complete teardown to get the tape mech out, lots of places to "forget" how to get it back together, so might be worth shopping around and getting a few quotes before you go gutting two cameras (I'm presuming the TRV900 still has more value than the tape mech assembly). You might end up with two "piles of parts" if your plan doesn't come together, ending up worse than before!

That said, it's the sort of thing I'd probably do (try?), IF the outcome wasn't critical. You'd learn quite a bit one way or another... but I suspect you have the need for a working camera to come out of this procedure... you should evaluate what that is worth (also look at what you could pick a working one up on ebay for - tape cams don't have a lot of value anymore). Perhaps you could sell your working 900 and the carcass of the 150 and pick up a good working cam and come out even or ahead! Just some thoughts...

Kurt Franz April 5th, 2014 12:51 PM

Dave
Thanks for the feedback. I concur with you here. I just wish I could find out 100 percent if I take the deck mechanism out of my 900 it will directly replace the PD150 mechanism.

If anyone out there knows for certain if they are 100 percent compatible it would be great. I have been scouring the web trying to determine this from real world experience as I really dont want to tear them down and find out I was wrong..

Thanks again - I realize that there are not many folks who use these cameras anymore - but I am quite fond of the PD150 low light capabilities over the 900.

Regards KF

Warren Kawamoto April 10th, 2014 10:51 PM

Even if all the parts were 100% swappable, you can't simply drop parts in and expect them work. You'd have to re-align the tape path and heads, which would require an oscilloscope, a tape tension meter, and other proprietary equipment. The service manual has the list of equipment you'd need. Unless you already have all the proper equipment, I'd say it's impossible for a layman to align the tape path by eye.

Kurt Franz April 15th, 2014 08:10 PM

Good News

I fixed the issue by adjusting the rear tension spring. Moved the hook back to the left one more notch and that seems to have corrected the issue - no more audio drop outs and artifacts.

Regards
KF