DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD170 Line level (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/52819-pd170-line-level.html)

Pat Sherman October 15th, 2005 11:06 PM

PD170 Line level

Ok.. I got the bad PD170 with the preamp noise issues related to the LCD Flipout and just terrible noise with phantom power turned on.. So I want to avoid that by not flipping out the LCD and using the line in selectors.. Works fine for my EW112 G2 senn, but how about a shotgun that can go as a line-in? Any ideas for brand, setup, adapters?

Craig Seeman October 16th, 2005 09:44 AM

Why not get the PD170 fixed?

Pat Sherman October 16th, 2005 05:50 PM

Well I bought it used and am sure it's out of warranty by now.. So considering Sony's hourly rate it may be better.. But then again I did some more tests with it last night.. Even with just the line level selected and nothing plugged in their is a weird hum or noise that comes across.

So my option is to use my PD-150 as the main camera that records the wireless stuff.. While this is a bandaid, I'm not sure what is wrong with the PD170 since I thought they would have made the audio a bit better..

Of course I guess the other option which I don't know anything about, so bare with me.. A portable mixer and recorder and somehow sync the timecode to it? I dunno..

Help..:)

Pat Sherman October 20th, 2005 07:56 AM

UPDATE:

I got a call from Sony last night. It seems out of warranty work is a flat $575 fee for the PD-170. When asked what does this repair, they stated anything it's just a flat fee.. Good to know..

Anyways, I was about to box it up and send it down, when I remembered a fix for the 150's.. I hit the ol'e reset button and my audio troubles disappeared.. I called Sony back and they stated more than likely that's what we would have done but you figured it out and saved $500 bucks..

Just thought i'd share..

Richard Zlamany October 20th, 2005 05:59 PM

That is great news.

Craig Seeman October 20th, 2005 06:46 PM

Sometimes people forget that these days, even their video cameras are software driven and a reboot can be the first thing a user tries before spending the big bucks.

Pat Sherman October 22nd, 2005 02:43 PM

So I narrowed down a few more things.. 1 thing is for sure my camera has the LCD flipout audio problem even though Sony says my serial number shouldn't..

Anyway I have another problem that I narrowed down.. It's related to the AGC function and it being on. Here's the issue.

With AGC on the audio drops out when anything is somewhat loud and the video distorts or pixelates during that dropout. When I have AGC turned on for just 1 channel and manual for the other it affects both channels still..

Now when AGC is turned off and manual settings are applied either at the middle setting or all the way up, the dropping and distorting are gone.

Is this is normal problem with AGC on the PD170? I can't remember ever seeing this on my PD150's..

Pat Sherman October 22nd, 2005 02:51 PM

I just wanted to add it happened to all 5 tapes I was shooting on and nothing appeared on camera during taping or the audio problems via the headphones. This was all discovered in POST.

So the question is can this problem that seems to be caused on by the AGC function being turned on typically affect the video portion as well?

Pat Sherman October 26th, 2005 07:08 AM

Sony Service Center PD-170

My PD-170 I shipped overnight to Sony with the list of the 4 following problems:

1. LCD Flipped out causes unwanted noise and distortion across channel 1 and 2 for the audio. Rather AGC is turned on or off.
2. Phantom Power produces high pitched noise across channel 1 and a low distortion across Channel 2
3. Every 6-7 seconds video and audio drops out. This is not shown during recording on either the screen or while monitoring the audio with headphones. However on playback from the PD-170 or using our DSR-11 or other PD-150's it drops out. It's constant through the entire recording, tested on Sony DVCAM Master and DVCAM tapes. Also in both recording modes of DVCAM or DV SP.
4. Tape door (internal one all metal) takes about 3-5 attempts before it will lock in place and accept the tape to allow for the outer door to close.

Editor's Note: I bought this used from actually these forums at a good price, however I wish people would just let you know of the problems and be up front and honest.. Oh well Sony charges a flat rate repair for the DSR-PD170 of $575.00

Pat Sherman November 9th, 2005 06:39 AM

Update

UPDATE:

I got my PD-170 back from Sony and after $625 here's what they came up with:

Replaced XM-005 (Audio Chipset)
Replaced XLR Input Module
Replaced Tape Mechanism and Drive including heads
Replaced Outer Tape Door

Not bad for $600 it's got all new internals for the tape and the audio problems I spoke of are COMPLETELY GONE. I mean I crank the audio input all the way and crank up the head phone volume and I hear not a hiss, buzz nor a drone of any sound. I can now use my LCD without any noise from that either. The guy at Sony said that someone from sony that determined which serial numbers had the LCD Audio Chipset noise issue, should probably recheck their list. Considering my camera was produced a year after that was discovered.. That was worth it alone. As for the tape dropping issues two things were happening.

Due to the audio chips anytime the limiter kicked it it would cause the audio to drop out completely on both channels. Now they also said when you use AGC never have MIC NR turned on. Now explanation, but just that little tidbit they sent back with it.

As far as a few tapes I sent them about the video dropping out, that was determined after they tested tapes in their "Taping testing machines" (I can't remember what he called them) basically they read the Data and all this other mess.. Anyways, it seems that 2 out of the 3 tapes were caused by re-recording over old material that was original shot in DVCAM mode and the new material was shot in DV SP or DV mode for short.. So in that case the old footage will show through and cause dropped frames or what appears to be dropped frames. Tape 3 was a new tape only recorded in DVCAM and those video and audio drops were related to the audio bug.