DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Traveling PELICAN in STORM case (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/54902-traveling-pelican-storm-case.html)

Albert Rodgers November 23rd, 2005 06:33 PM

Traveling PELICAN in STORM case

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Korb
As Crazy as this sounds...im using a pelican made rifle case for my equipment...they can handle the tripod as well if packed correctly and more reasonable in cost than some other pelican cases...i have to put 3 cameras in a case and with all the equipment...its just easier...hope no one steals my gun case...jeeeeeez!!!!!

The above set up is interesting.

I am looking for a hard travel case to accommodate TWO Sony pd-170s for check-in at airport. Does anyone know if the Pelican ( pelican.com )1650/1660/1700 (rifle case)/1750 or the Storm ( stormcase.com) 2950/2975 case is large enough for this?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Rehmus November 23rd, 2005 08:04 PM

Odd are that the cameras will not be in the case when you get to the other end.

Albert Rodgers November 23rd, 2005 08:16 PM

What is the best way to transport these camera. Are you saying that they have a strong chance of being stolen when checked in? How do you guys travel with two pd 170s?

Boyd Ostroff November 23rd, 2005 08:26 PM

For one thing - and this has nothing to do with carrying cases - talk to your insurance agent and make sure you are covered in the event that the case does turn up empty. If you use your equipment professionally the odds are that they won't be covered under a homeowners policy.

Beyond that, I suspect that Mike is suggesting against checking cameras with luggage which is the prevailing wisdom in similar threads on this site.

Charles Papert November 23rd, 2005 08:35 PM

Maybe it's the difference between identifiable gear like camcorders and more obscure pro gear, but I've travelled with my umpteen Steadicam cases on airlines for years without a problem. Some of those cases have a wealth of goodies in them (little handheld TV's, clamshell etc. etc.). Maybe I've just been lucky though. Don't know.

Mike Rehmus November 23rd, 2005 09:33 PM

You can carry 2 170's on-board as cabin luggage with no problem. If you don't have an appropriate case, wrap them in bubble wrap and stick them in a cheap briefcase or a duffel bag. As long as you don't swing the bag into something with a lot of force, they will do just fine. A 7" Samsonite brief case would be perfect and allow you to take a few batteries and their charger too.

Sony ships these cameras all over the place in a cardboard box and a double wrap of bubble.

Ship the fancy case in the hold if you need it on the other end. Just don't put anything like a camera in there if you want them at your destination.

Don't confuse insurance with common sense (not taking a shot at you, Boyd). Insurance is good but it won't help you when you need the gear on assignment right now. It's kind of like thinking a cell phone provides you with security. Neither do when your need is immediate.

Richard Alvarez November 23rd, 2005 10:02 PM

I fly with my xl2 in my pelican in the hold... My choice.

If you carry on the camera, make sure it's accessible and can be powered up at the gate. They will often ask for that.

Albert Rodgers December 15th, 2005 08:26 PM

Thanks guys. I bought a Pelican 1510 carry-on case with dividers. I am able to put both Sony PD-170s in it. This is great. Now I will be able to carry both cameras on the plane.

Now, what is the best way to travel with my two tripods? They both fit in one tripod soft case. Would it be safe to check this in with the rest of my luggage? Do I need to put this tripods in a hard case ? Would a hard case for a golf bag be good?

This is my first time flying with both cameras and the rest of my equipment. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Rehmus December 15th, 2005 11:15 PM

Hard-case the tripods or you will have junk on the other end. Golf cases or rifle cases work well.

I take the heads off the tripods and put the tripods in my clothes luggage along with the heads (sometimes in carry-on).

Richard Alvarez December 16th, 2005 08:34 AM

I second the hard case for the tripods. I was in Houston, and bought a tripod and head from a friend. They came with the padded soft case. At the other end of the flight, the lock knobs had been sheared off, and the case had holes scuffed through it! SHould have heeded my initial concerns and bought a golf case with wheels. That's how I transport them now. A golf case with wheels costs about fifty bucks. Holds the tripod, head, a couple of lightstands easy.

Albert Rodgers December 16th, 2005 11:02 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. I will defininitely use a hard case for my tripods.

Have Camera-Will Travel (NOW) :)

Thanks again.