DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   New VX2100 user (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/56326-new-vx2100-user.html)

Ezra Hiller December 18th, 2005 06:32 PM

New VX2100 user

Just purchased this camera. Used it on 2 shoots Today. All I can say is wow! This camera does very well in low light. Its almost too sesitive at times. I was very impressed.
I'm used to shooting "shoulder held" with a JVC DV5000, so my wrists and forearms are a little sore.

A couple of observations:

When Ejecting a tape, I notice the cassette holder/door is partially blocked by the handstrap. It just barely opens enough to get the tape out. Does anyone notice this?

Also, maybe it just me being sensitive (or maybe its because the tape mechanism is right in front of my face), but the high pitched whinning of the tape drive seems to be very loud in a quiet room.

Now that I found a small, great quality, camera, I will be searching for a shoulder bracket. Hopefully something that has a quick release.

Ezra

Boyd Ostroff December 18th, 2005 06:50 PM

Hi Ezra, and welcome to DVinfo! I agree that the hand strap can be a little on the tight side on the VX and PD cameras. Assuming that the 2100 is like my 2000 however, it's easy to adjust. The outer cover (that says SONY) is velcro'ed closed; pull it open. Now you should find that the strap itself attaches to the outer cover with velcro; pull it open and let it out a bit, then replace.

Ezra Hiller December 18th, 2005 10:06 PM

Thanks. Thats what I figured. The tape holder just barely clears when the door opens. I wil just make sure that I loosen the hand strap before ejecting.

Ezra

Boyd Ostroff December 19th, 2005 09:32 AM

It's interesting that Sony addressed this with the FX1 and Z1: they moved the LCD panel up to the handle. That allowed them to put the tape transport on the opposite (left) side and leave the area next to the hand strap open. I believe this is also like the camera that "started it all" - the VX-1000. It didn't have an LCD screen IIRC so the tape transport was on the left side.

Georg Liigand December 19th, 2005 10:25 AM

I believe that Sony has simply not thought about people who have smaller hands and that's why the handstrap blocks the tape mechanism :) When it's adjusted to a general man's hand, then there is no problem with opening. My hand is not that big either and actually I also found the same as soon as I got the camera. However, I'm now quite comfortable with it and I simply pull the handstrap a bit away with one hand and open the door with other hand.

Chris Barcellos December 19th, 2005 02:17 PM

VX2100-Shoulder mount

I made a fairly simple shoulder mount by bolting two pieces of 1/2 inch square aluminum tubing together, putting handle on one end, and making a homemade shoulder stock on other. About $10 bucks total, and works pretty well..

Rick Steele December 19th, 2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezra Hiller
Also, maybe it just me being sensitive (or maybe its because the tape mechanism is right in front of my face), but the high pitched whinning of the tape drive seems to be very loud in a quiet room.

No. It isn't just you. I've found if you take the audio gain to manual and turn it down a tad this seems to help but doesn't eliminate the problem. Get an external mic for the shoe whenever you can.

Mike Rehmus December 19th, 2005 07:06 PM

The transport and zoom motor noise are always present and very noticable in a quiet space. especially with a shotgun. This is what the NR setting in the menu is for. However, it causes its own problems, generating a 'ringing' whenever sound stops abruptly. Like at the end of a sentence.

The real solution, but not always practical, is to get the microphone away from the camera. Far away.

In a noisy environment, the typical run and gun work space, the room tone masks the drum noise from the camera (but not always). I've had the zoom motor noise intrude at a SWAT competition. I do wish Sony would go to the linear motors they use in their 35mm camera lenses. They are dead quiet and unbelievably fast.

Randy Stewart December 20th, 2005 03:49 PM

Ezra,
Go to this URL: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=3925 to see many different shoulder mounts. B&H is a very good supplier too.
Randy