DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Century .3x Fisheye (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/59636-century-3x-fisheye.html)

benjnVX2K April 19th, 2002 09:02 AM

Fisheye vs. Wide Angle.

Hello,
I'm Ben, and am all new in this DV world. Today I have few questions. What is the different between Fisheye and Wide Angle lenses? and which one would be more important in pro shooting?
Exciting and good to join this forum. Thanks!

Chris Hurd April 19th, 2002 09:10 AM

Howdy from Texas,

A good wide angle lens will present a wide field of view while keeping distortion to a bare minimum. A fish-eye lens, however, is much more extreme and will turn straight lines into curved ones. Others will have more input but this is it in a nutshell.

Here, you can compare a fish-eye:

http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/video/prodv/prodvfisheye.html

to a wide-angle adapter:

http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/video/prodv/prodv7x.html#

Hope this helps,

benjnVX2K April 23rd, 2002 02:46 PM

Fisheye vs. Wide Angle

Thanks Chris,

I've seen some of those after market wide angle lenses out there, which I find them cheaper prices (<$200). Are they okay? cause they are made in Japan. does a .5x wide angle has a lot of distortion? what other things I should know to buy a wide angle or fisheye lens? FYI, I have a VX2000.

Thank you.

Marius Svendsen August 14th, 2002 05:33 AM

VX2000 Mark1 fisheye to fit VX1000, possible??

Ive heard that either the Mark1 for the VX2000 or the Mark2 Century .3x fisheye fits the good "old" VX1000, only the older mark 1 fisheye does.
But i was thinking, VX1000 has a 52mm lense and the VX2000 have a 58mm, would it just be possible with a step-up ring for the VX1000 to fit either the new Mark1 or Mark1 fisheye from century??
I mean, we are just talking about 6mm step-up....
Must be some way!

Mike Rehmus August 14th, 2002 10:37 AM

It would depend upon the design of the fisheye. If it is designed to be a certain distance from the front lens element, then a step-up ring would probably cause a problem.

I think you have to ask the manufacturer about that one.

Marius Svendsen August 14th, 2002 04:00 PM

Yeah I guess, I'll e-mail Century about it.
It's just that it's so hard to find a the old Century Mark1 fisheye for the VX1000, it's not old though, but for some reason Century don't make them no more.

Brian McKenna August 16th, 2002 06:19 PM

i think that they still make vx1000 stuff:

http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/dv/3/chart.htm

make sure you get an exact match...the distance from camera lens to adaptor really matters a lot with these things. the model number must be specific to the camera as far as i have seen...
for example the 58mm screw mount version of the .3x fisheye fits the trv-900 with a stepdown ring and works great, the same lens 'fits' the vx-2000 and looks like crap.

i heard that the markI lenses have better glass than the markII versions

Marius Svendsen September 6th, 2002 06:08 AM

Looking for a used Century fisheye!!

Im really keen on buying a used Century .3x fisheye for my camcorder(VX1000).
If anyone have one or know anyone who might have one for sale I would be very, very thankfull if you could post a message about it:)

Thank You!!

DJ Lloyd November 12th, 2002 11:15 AM

52mm bayonet Century .3x fisheye on vx2000?

Will a 52mm vx1000 bayonet century .3x fisheye work on a vx2000 if I use a 52to58 step-up ring?? will there be any bayoneting or adverse aspects if i do this?

Mike Rehmus November 12th, 2002 06:45 PM

Only Century might be able to tell you. The best method is to try it. Vignetting is certainly a possibility.

Chris Ruona February 1st, 2006 10:09 PM

Century .3x Fisheye

what makes it so expensive?

Devin Kalt February 16th, 2006 11:52 AM

The lens is so expensive because there is none to very little quality lost. Also, the barrel distortion is unbeatable compared to other fisheye lenses.When you use other cheaper fisheyes such as the raynox mx3000, quality is lost, and it isn't near as wide.

Chris Ruona April 10th, 2006 09:52 PM

century fisheye question

should i get bayonet mount or a screw on mount?

Mike Rehmus April 10th, 2006 10:00 PM

Usually bayonet mounts are sturdier. You might mention just a little bit more about what you are going to mount and to what.

Chris Ruona April 11th, 2006 08:20 PM

for my vx2100

Chris Ruona April 11th, 2006 08:22 PM

but will there be an difference in distortion using the bayonet rather than screw on mount? screw on seems like it will be further from the lense making more distortion, while the bayonet will be closer and minimizing the distortion?

Mike Rehmus April 11th, 2006 08:53 PM

The same lens with two different mounts still has to have its elements at the same position relative to the camera lens.

So if you mean optical distortion, there will be no difference. If you mean mechanical distortion, probably so slight as to be negligible.

The bayonet also attaches/detaches much quicker.

Chris Ruona April 11th, 2006 10:25 PM

also, is there any difference between a "vx2000" century fisheye and a "vx2100" fisheye? i noticed the different focal lengths and such. does this apply between the cameras?

J. Stephen McDonald April 12th, 2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Ruona
also, is there any difference between a "vx2000" century fisheye and a "vx2100" fisheye? i noticed the different focal lengths and such. does this apply between the cameras?

The Sony add-on lenses have about 2 to 3 times as many threads to unwind on my VX2100, as I have had with other cameras. This can be annoying, when speed is essential, even though it makes it a more secure and durable attachment. I would prefer them to have bayonet mounts for speed, but then, I couldn't use them on other cameras.

Tom Hardwick April 12th, 2006 03:07 AM

Distortion? You mustn't be worried about distortion when you're fitting a fisheye to your VX2.1k. Distortion is what you're buying.

If you're working fast 'n' furious the bayonet is the way to go, though I should warn you that Century's bayonet is much more akin to a breech-lock bayonet than a conventional on-turn-lock type bayonet. Screw threads are a pain in that you have to be so careful not to cross thread them as plastic doesn't take kindly to this treatment.

The downside - as has been mentioned - is that the Sony bayonet limits your use of this lens to a very small number of camcorders. If you go the thread route you can use the fisheye on an HC3 up to a Z1, simply by using thread adapters.

tom.

Chris Ruona April 16th, 2006 07:52 PM

can i use a bayonet mount century fisheye thats for a vx2000 for my vx2100??

Tom Hardwick April 17th, 2006 12:59 AM

Yes, you certainly can. The bayonet lugs on the VX2000, 2100, PD150 and 170 are all the same.