DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   vx2000/vx2100/century .3x lens questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/62708-vx2000-vx2100-century-3x-lens-questions.html)

Tyler Deschaine March 12th, 2006 09:25 PM

vx2000/vx2100/century .3x lens questions

im sure that these questions have been answered many times before, but i have gone threw the past threads looking for answers and havent had much luck. i noticed that the people on here are very helpfull and i decided to join to get some questions answered.

I have been filming and editing independently for about 2 years now. im not very familure with expensive professional equipment because of lack of money. I edit with premier pro, but when it comes to professional cameras, i dont know a whole lot. i have been doing some research and reading about 3 chip cameras and sony sounds like they are ontop of the game. i have intended to upgrade my camera equipment for some time and jsut recently got the funds to do so. and this is where the questions come into play...

I have been looking into getting a Sony VX2100. i got the oportunity to shoot with one and was very impressed with its performance. My main hang up with this camera is how much better it really is over the VX2000. i have heard that the vx2000 is longer and bulker. i plan to shoot mainly BMX/extreme sports footage and will be traveling often with the camera. alot of the footage will be shot outdoors during the day and night.

my second question has to do with the bayonett mounting. i plan to perchase a Century Optics Mk2 .3x Fisheye lens and i was wondering if the VX2100 has the same bayonett system as the VX2000.

im sorry if these questions have been asked/answered before im just about to make a large perchase and i dont want to screw myself. your answers, opinions, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Rehmus March 12th, 2006 11:39 PM

Welcome.

The 2000/2100 & the 150/170 are all the same size.

Century will sell you the correct bayonette but I do believe they are all the same as well.

Tom Hardwick March 13th, 2006 03:44 AM

Yes, the bayonet fitting is unchanged from the first VX2000 in 2001 to the PD170 of today.

The VX2100 was a mild face-lift over the VX2000, and few (if any) people felt it was worth upgrading, the cameras are that close in specification. Of course the VX2k can only be bought second hand now, but new VX2k1s are still available.

The FX1 is the replacement though, and although less sensitive in low light, makes up for it in any number of ways. Maybe you should be looking at that camera?

tom.

Tyler Deschaine March 13th, 2006 03:05 PM

thanks for the help. i did look into the FX1 and its a bit out of my price range right now. im not sure if im ready to upgrade to HD. i know it shoots both and it would be handy when i turn over to HD, but i figure when the time comes for that ill be looking into another upgrade anyways. thanks again for all the help.

Tom Hardwick March 14th, 2006 02:54 AM

The real reason to get an A1 or FX1 is to get good, proper, sharp, full-frame 16:9 footage. But the VX2100 still holds and ace or two out there in the market place.

It's the best in low light, period. You have to tripple the camera cost to equal it. It's tough (PD170 tough), so should withstand your BMX/extreme shoots better than 10s of other cameras I could name. It gives startlingly good results for the money, and can be easily coupled to a beachtek DXA-4 if you wanted to add XLR microphones. There's life in the old dog yet.

tom.