DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Pd150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/6951-pd150.html)

Peter Burton February 15th, 2003 05:50 PM

Pd150

I am new to the forum and am thinking of buying either a Canon XL1s or a PD150.

I read somewhre on this web site that Sony had stated when using the PD150 you may not get clean seamless recording with mini DV.

Are people having problems with using mini DV with this camera.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Zac Stein February 15th, 2003 06:10 PM

No problems with my pd150.

I think the problem you are hearing about is people using well used units with many different tapes thrown through them. Hence dirty head problems.

Zac

Lou Bruno February 15th, 2003 06:48 PM

Re: Pd150

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Burton : I am new to the forum and am thinking of buying either a Canon XL1s or a PD150.

I read somewhre on this web site that Sony had stated when using the PD150 you may not get clean seamless recording with mini DV.

Are people having problems with using mini DV with this camera.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter -->>>

That is a lot of BUNK. They want you to buy the MINIDVCAM tapes at a higher price. Don't worry, there is NO problem using a tape like a Panny PQ or MQ.

Peter Burton February 15th, 2003 06:53 PM

Thanks guys for the response.

Where I read this was on this web site.

www.dvinfo.net/sony/skinny.php

The Skinny: PD150 and VX2000

note at the bottom

Peter Burton February 15th, 2003 06:58 PM

Here is the note:

Taken from The Skinny:PD150 and VX2000

*PD150: According to Sony, when recording in DV (SP mode only), you may not be able to get clean, seamless recording. In order to acheive a more reliable and higher quality image, Sony recommends using the DVCAM cassette and recording in DVCAM mode.

Chris Hurd February 15th, 2003 07:11 PM

I should probably remove that, but it came from the Sony-speak that was issued when the camera was introduced, probably as a way to sell more DVCAM tape maybe.

Rick Spilman February 15th, 2003 07:24 PM

This is simply not true. The PD150 records just fine in DV mode. No problem.

The note in the manual is odd. It says "If you record in DV format, the transition of a tape may not be smooth." I do not know what this refers to. What is "the transition of a tape"? I don't know. It almost looks like a bad translation from the Japanese. I have been told that what this is attempting to say is that if switching from DVCam to DV the transition between the two modes may not be smooth. I'm not sure that that makes sense either.

Bottom line the PD150 records just fine in DV mode as well as in DVCam. I have been impressed by what a good quality image I can get and how rugged the camera is. I have dropped it, fallen with it, done things I definately shouldn't have with it and it keeps running. A really great camera. I love mine.

Rick

Don Bloom February 16th, 2003 09:02 AM

The only time I've ever had any problems with either of my 150's is when I caused it. No audio problem, no image problem, no recording problem. I love 'em!
Don

Jon McLean February 16th, 2003 02:41 PM

As has been mentioned already, I'm pretty sure it refers to the switching between DVCAM and DV mode while recording on the same tape. On the one occasion I had to do this(was in DVCAM mode on a PDVM184 to start with and the reception speeches got a tad long - DSR-250) it did cause a glitch at the switchover point but then I expected it - afterall the tape transport had to slow down 50%!

When you stay in either DVCAM or DV for the length of the tape then I have had no problems on my 150 or 250.

Regards

Jono

Alex Ratson February 16th, 2003 03:31 PM

This issue is only present when you are editing in a linear system. If you cut a segment shot on Mine-DV, and then a strait cut to DVCAM, you “may” get a flash like thing right at the transition point of the two clips. Sony issues this warning on all of there cameras / Decks that are capable of using MINE-DV, and DVCAM on the same unit.
Hope this helps

Alex