DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD170 audio problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/73568-pd170-audio-problem.html)

Janice DeMille August 14th, 2006 06:27 AM

PD170 audio problem

Hi folks. I recently purchased a new PD170 and shot my first wedding with it last weekend. Overall I love the camera. However in capturing the footage I have a consistent audio dropout about every 3 seconds. Has anyone experienced this before? I am using MiniDV and shooting in the DV SP mode.

thanks

Don Bloom August 14th, 2006 08:06 AM

Are the dropouts from the on camera mic OR a wireless setup on the camera.

I can honestly say I've never had a dropout problem with either of the 150s or my 250 so it probably isn't the camera but perhaps the way something is set in the audio menu. Did you hear these DOs during the actual taping or during video capture? A bit more info would be helpful.

Don

Janice DeMille August 14th, 2006 08:41 AM

camera mic

Hi Don, the mic is the one that came with the camera. I have it connected to Input1, the record channel is set to 1&2, Input level is MIC and the +48V is on. I do not know what the +48V is. I tried to find more information but no luck so far. I did not hear any audio problems while I was recording the footage.

thanks

Don Bloom August 14th, 2006 09:12 AM

OK, well 48v is whats powering the mic. SOme mics use a battery (aaa or aa) and some need external power which is what the 48v does.

As for the dropouts, when you captured the tape what did you use to capture it? Also, sometimes the capture program might indicate audio drops but in reality the audio is really there and is fine. So the next questions are; what did you use to capture the tape with? Did you use the 170 or another camera or deck to capture, what program did you capture into and after capture is the audio still olaying with dropouts?
The reason I ask about the capture process is sometimes a different camera or deck won't capture quite right becaues the heads are slightly out of alignment for the tape(s) you are capturing shot with another camera.

Don

Janice DeMille August 14th, 2006 09:30 AM

Don, thanks for clearing up the 48v for me. I did use another Sony to capture the footage. However I tried it with the PD170 when I heard the audio issues and they were still there. I capture into Premiere Pro 2.0. I am not sure if I checked the playback so I will do that and get back to you. I am currently doing a batch capture so it will be about 15 minutes.

thanks again for your help

Janice DeMille August 14th, 2006 09:54 AM

Hi Don, great news!! It plays fine. I should have checked that myself. Thanks for all your help.

Big Smiles here

Don Bloom August 14th, 2006 11:38 AM

Glad everything is OK!
Happy to help ;-)

Don

Joe Riggs March 4th, 2007 01:00 PM

I recently did a shoot with two cameras a pd-150 (from school) and a vx-2100, using sony brand tapes. The Pd-150 had an external mic connected to it and was set to the same settings that Janice had. Furthermore, I monitored the audio with headphones and everything sounded fine.

I then rewound the tapes, the tape that was recorded with the 150 has audio dropouts every few seconds. I tried it in the vx2100 and the dropouts were also there. I imported some footage to my NLE, still dropouts. Then I used a cleaning tape, it eliminated some of the dropouts, so I think there is still hope for the audio? Any solutions? Did rewinding the tape in the PD-150 cause the dropouts?

Thanks

Don Bloom March 4th, 2007 04:10 PM

Rewinding th etape in the camera wouldn't cause dropouts. At least I've never heard of that.

You might try running the head cleaner thru the camera 1 more time (no more than 10 seconds) and see if that clears up the problem.

BTW are you hearing the drops when you load the tape or when it's loaded and you're reviewing it on th etimeline of your NLE?

I've had a few occassions when it sounds like drops when loading but the timeline plays out fine.
Cameras and computers sometimes go goofy on you.

Don

Joe Riggs March 6th, 2007 04:21 PM

There are dropouts in the timeline as well. However, when I use a cleaning tape some the dropouts clear up or move to a different part of the scene. I'm going to try to play it in other cams and see what happens.