DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Playback Device for VX2100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/75480-playback-device-vx2100.html)

David Murnan September 14th, 2006 06:07 AM

Playback Device for VX2100

After spending >$2000 for a camcorder, I am wondering if it is a good idea to use it for rewinding and playing back tapes? Would an inexpensive mini dv camcorder serve the need as good, or are there better options?
Thanks for any input, DAVE

Ezra Hiller September 14th, 2006 07:08 AM

I use a JVC BR3000 DV/Mini DV deck. Some people are not too excited about this deck, but it has been performing fine for me. For other peoples tapes (i.e. different brands or customers' tapes) I use a cheap mini DV camera.

Ezra

J. Stephen McDonald September 18th, 2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Murnan
After spending >$2000 for a camcorder, I am wondering if it is a good idea to use it for rewinding and playing back tapes? Would an inexpensive mini dv camcorder serve the need as good, or are there better options?
Thanks for any input, DAVE

I've been using a nice little Sony GV-D1000 DV VCR for more than two years.
It is much handier and practical to use than to have an extra camcorder banging around my video desk. It has a good pop-up viewscreen, a MemoryStick slot and a USB port. Of course, most Sony DV camcorders have the same features and some are cheaper than the $1,000. it cost. Since I also have a good JVC DV VCR, a Digital8 VCR and a computer NLE, I would probably not hesitate to sell it back for that price. It was an indulgent purchase I didn't really need to make, but if you have a spare grand burning through your pocket, you'd enjoy using it.

Doug Mellon October 15th, 2006 09:19 AM

I was just wondering, does it damnage the camera to playback the taps a lot? I just got my VX and after spending the money on it I dont want to damnage it.
- Doug

Mike Rehmus October 15th, 2006 11:06 AM

Tape is abrasive by nature. It will wear the heads on your camera.

Most Mini-DV camera recording heads last from 500 to 1500 hours depending on conditions and (perhaps) the tapes you use. Not only do the heads wear but the entire transport wears too. The tensioning arm in the Sony transport is fairly fragile.

A new transport installed by Sony costs more than $1000 the last time I looked.

For me, in a pro environment, I use a DSR-20 tape deck. If I didn't have that, I'd buy a cheap DV camera to use for playback.

Doug Mellon October 15th, 2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
Tape is abrasive by nature. It will wear the heads on your camera.

Most Mini-DV camera recording heads last from 500 to 1500 hours depending on conditions and (perhaps) the tapes you use. Not only do the heads wear but the entire transport wears too. The tensioning arm in the Sony transport is fairly fragile.

A new transport installed by Sony costs more than $1000 the last time I looked.

For me, in a pro environment, I use a DSR-20 tape deck. If I didn't have that, I'd buy a cheap DV camera to use for playback.

Interesting... thanks for the reply. Any recomendations for a good tape deck?
- Doug

Mike Rehmus October 15th, 2006 03:16 PM

As I said, I use a Sony pro deck (I also use full-size DVCam tapes). However, when I outfitted the local college with editing systems, I purchased the JVC combo S-VHS / Mini-DV decks and they've worked out very well in that application.

The JVC decks were still fairly expensive compared to a cheap DV camera. The quality of the camera doesn't really matter if all you are using it for is to transfer the digital DV data to your computer.

Some people do chose a 'deck' camera that can also fulfill a role as a second camera.