DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD-150 MODEL #1015484 w/vid *HISS* (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/7642-pd-150-model-1015484-w-vid-hiss.html)

Alex Kamm March 11th, 2003 10:06 PM

PD-150 MODEL #1015484 w/vid *HISS*

PD-150 MODEL #1015484

Just got it today boys! And my ears are shattered! Here is my HISS problem the audio is at 192 CD quality so enjoy listening to my horrible zoom hiss!

http://www.racesauce.com/hiss.mpg

I'm a bit confused as to what you guys have been saying about the model number and which ones can be fixed or have been fixed so forth..

I'm gonna call sony 2 morrow but hope you guys can give me some feedback before daylight 2morrow! Wednesday

Alex Kamm March 12th, 2003 12:38 AM

Okay well after making several observations fiddling with it.. I found that when I zoomed in and out, my mic picked up the vibrations that the zoom was causing. This vibration is pretty noticable when holding(feel) my camcorder and is picked up more then easliy when my mike is attached in its hole..

Has anyone have or had a simular problem like me?

Mike Rehmus March 12th, 2003 11:45 AM

Yes, the on-board microphone will pick up camera sound. Try switching on the audio NR function if it is off. That may help. But don't use the NR function if you are using a remote microphone. If you do, it will cause a sort of 'ringing' whenever a sound stops.

This is not a camera fault. Really.

I'd say that my first PD150 had a bit more zoom motor noise pickup than yours. Except in run and gun situations, I don't use an onboard microphone. Fortunately those tend to be environmentally noisy and the camera sounds are masked.

Any microphone wil pick up noise that occurs in close proximity. That's what we pay them to do. :-) The hotter the microphone, the worse the problem.

Even the Television Station newscrews use off-camera microphones when they can. For two reasons:

1. Get close to the event with the microphone
2. Don't pick up camera and camera operator noise

The reason for the sound generation is that the cameras have to have very small motors so they have to rotate very fast to generate enough power to move the lens elements. A fast-moving motor with bearings plus gear train with bearings will generate noise.

At least I think they are still using small rotary and not linear (Sawyer) motors. Anyone know?

Alex Kamm March 12th, 2003 12:16 PM

Thanx for the info.

Here's a question to all of the PD-150 owners...

I contacted sony today. They told me theirs a flat fee of $550 for whatever is wrong with the camcorder. And I would have to send it to the national sony place in Georgia. = RIP OFF =

Referring to the post above. What mic do you suggest I use? And where would I mount it if I am more of the on the move in the field videographer?

Don Bloom March 12th, 2003 05:38 PM

Most folks with 150's including myself are going the Sennheiser route. ME66 or 64 some even the 416. Some good folks are using AT and some Azden. I have Azden and Sennheiser, prefer Sennheiser, BUT I also invested in a Sony CAC mic bracket which puts the on board mic a little farther away and has the added benefit of being adjustable so when I use a WA lens and an on board lite I have less shadowing from the light hitting the mic.
As for the mic's your choice, but I think Senn's the best pick and still reasonably affordable
Don

Wayne Orr March 12th, 2003 05:53 PM

Here is a copy of a reply I posted for Alex on another forum:

First of all Alex, I would say you really have the gain (audio level)
> cranked way up. I hear lots of voices and activity that I don't see
> on camera, which tips me that you have it very hot. Maybe you are
using auto gain?

Second, you are using the supplied mic, which is not very directional. You can
> be holding the camera cradled in your hands and get good
> pickup on your own voice if you speak, even though you are
> behind the mic. Personallly, I don't think you have any problem,
> other than having the gain up too high for the situation. If you are
> trying to get good room ambiance, then take the mic off the
> holder to get it away from the camera. Better still, extend it away
> from the camera with an additional xlr cable.
>
> If you can be a bit more precise as to what your problem is in
> recording, we may be able to offer more help. But I don't think you
> have a camera problem. However, it is a good way to start another
> rumor about the "terrible audio on the Sony cameras."

Don Bloom March 12th, 2003 07:50 PM

Wayne,
You are absolutely right. AGC on the 150 is the pits. I actually will keep the audio display on an "ride" the wheel sometimes, depending on the situation, to keep the audio levels somewhat constant. I try for -20 to a peak of no more than -12- that seems to work no matter what mic I'm using.
Oh yeah, the stock mic is a nice paperweight!
Don

Mike Rehmus March 12th, 2003 09:00 PM

The AGC is actually doing what it is supposed to do. It's a quiet room and it has jacked the gain up.

I find the PD150's AGC much closer in performance to an on-the-shoulder camera's AGC than the amateur camera's equivalent.

I frequently run with one channel in manual and the other in Auto. In an environment where there is a normal amount of sound, the Auto does OK. I run the manual channel about 1/4th of the way below the centerline which seems to keep me safe with most loud noises.

Don Bloom March 12th, 2003 09:26 PM

Hey Mike,
I've had nothing but trouble with the AGC. It just seems to peak way to high and then you get a DJ who doesn't know their volume control can lower the noise as well as raise it and, well, can you say, "fix it in post"? :] I've never run 1 and 1 before but Saturday I'm doing a freebie, gosh I hate that word, for my nephew, his bar mitzvah, so I think I'll try it. At wedding receptions I have too much other stuff to think about than to worry about riding the gain to get good sound. I'll try 1 and 1 and let you know how it works out.
Don

Mike Rehmus March 13th, 2003 10:03 PM

BTW, I forgot to unplug the on-camera microphone on my 150 this morning (its a microphone that came with my DSR-300 and is mounted on a CAC-12 mount. This microphone is fairly good quality, a really short shotgun, probably more of a cardiod and it picked up the zoom whine quite nicely.

In fact that's what alerted me to the fact I had not plugged in the AT835B that was sitting on a microphone stand about 5 feet away.

This new 150's zoom motor is quieter than the old unit. But then it does not have 10 months of use on it yet.

BTW, I some times run with the manual gain above mid-point when I'm taping actors with soft voices. The AGC keeps me safe if one of them loses control and actually says something out loud (it does happen from time-to-time). I don't think I've had the audio clip when on the AGC channel because I think there is a limiter in there.