DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Anti War Rally! Homemade/Wish me luck (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/7741-anti-war-rally-homemade-wish-me-luck.html)

Alex Kamm March 15th, 2003 02:02 AM

Anti War Rally! Homemade/Wish me luck

Hey guys well gonna head to the anti war rally today march 15th :) made me a ghetto or homemade weather/rain cover thing!From a pancho I bought down at a local clothing store!

http://www.dyslexicrydaz.com/alex/weather.jpg

Frank Granovski March 15th, 2003 02:36 AM

Hmmm, San Francisco. That's where the hippie culture started. I remember those days, and that other war.

Very nice! But you could have just used Saran Wrap. That's what I do. Was it a Glad Bag at least?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Bud for toil!

Alex Kamm March 15th, 2003 03:45 AM

I used those rain panchos..and cut it up, secured it with tape... :)

Rick Spilman March 15th, 2003 07:30 AM

Have fun and good luck.

Sad thing is that it probably doesn't matter what any of us do. We'll be at war within a week, two at the outside.

Adi Head March 15th, 2003 04:28 PM

no rain here for a few days, so the rallies are pretty much dry. saving my saran wrap and nylon bags to seal the windows in the chemical-safe room for when i get a chemical armed scad shot my way.

anyone know of a way to protect the pd in case of ballistic missles??

Rick Spilman March 15th, 2003 04:37 PM

A Pelican case. May not protect against ballasitic missles but the case will remain under warrantee. There are only three exclusions to a Pelican case warranty - shark bite, bear attack and the actions of a child under 5.

If the child under 5 is one firing the ballistic missle, you are out of luck.

Adi Head March 15th, 2003 04:51 PM

thanks rick :^)

Chris Hurd March 15th, 2003 05:26 PM

Okay -- so far so good, but -- a little friendly warning here.

Politics is a forbidden discussion on this message board. Along with religion, sexuality and other issues, no matter how right you feel about it, someone else is going to feel even righter in the opposite direction. The only thing such discussions accomplish, is to polarize the community and turn friends into enemies. We will not have that here.

We had to pull some posts a couple days ago because of this -- because the current world political situation was mentioned, but it didn't relate to a technical discussion about digital video.

So... here's what's up...

If you're talking about how to videotape an anti-war protest, that is, a technical discussion relating directly to digital video, go right ahead. As long as it's a serious, sincere discussion. People can get hurt at a protest rally and this is a very serious matter. You want to discuss technique, safety, approach, etc. please go right ahead.

However I will NOT tolerate any comments proclaiming support for pro-war sentiments or support for anti-war sentiments. Anybody says anything pro-Bush, anti-Bush, pro-Iraq, anti-Iraq, or whatever, I will edit it out immediately. Please see the FAQ at link at top for an in-depth explanation of our forum posting policies here... they are spelled out very clearly.

Folks, I have very strong political convictions which lean in a very specific direction, yet I will not allow myself to use this forum as a sounding board on current world political matters. And if I can't, you can't either... this is a safe haven from political discussions. They are simply not within our scope.

That said... please continue with your established, highly esteemed and intelligent technical discussions... completely devoid of political affinity one way or the other. Many thanks and much respect,

Mike Rehmus March 15th, 2003 07:19 PM

Just a general comment about taking good equipment to emotional events like anti-war rallys.

1. You will not be in control of how the crowd or the Police act. So you are making a decision to go into a potentially dangerous environment. If you've never been in a large uncontrolled crowd, think about the soccer matches in Europe, the pilgrimages in Saudi Arabia and events closer to home where more people were hurt and killed by a crowd in a panic than by bullets or any other force.

Get up in a building if ou can.

2. Don't dress like a protestor Pro or Con. Dress somewhat conservatively.

3. Try and get some sort of accreditation if you can. Something visible that effectively states, "I am not a target for your frustrations!" At least a jacket and cap that say PRESS. Or School Journalist or something safe sounding.

4. Don't take good equipment. I've seen cameras smashed, stolen and ripped apart. By the crowds and Police.

5. Don't get in between the Pros and the Cons or either of them and the Police. Nobody will care that you are a well-meaning nice person.

I worked at UC Berkeley during the People's Park incident and many other encounters between the students and Police during that period. It wasn't nice, friendly and clearly not safe. Many people lose their inhibitions during these types of events and you just might be their next target.

I did not take my camera.

Alex Kamm March 15th, 2003 08:40 PM

Haha hey guys! I had fun! dissapointed at first then found the crazy anit war crowd :).. Yes I have to say that you don't know what is going to happen. And that the police give you this look like they wanna bash your camera in side and out! hehehe! I had fun no damages to the pd-150... all is good and ended well! Alot of photographers were taking pics of me videoing.. maybe cus I was sticking my tounge out while with my hands above my head haha, or doing various shots that most pro's weren't doing....

Frank Granovski March 15th, 2003 08:46 PM

Damn. Vancouver also had a big rally. I should have gone and put my MX300 and Nikon to some good use. Oh, well. I'm a lazy shooter unless it's for family or if I get paid.

Keith Loh March 15th, 2003 08:53 PM

I shot the first two rallies in Vancouver. Very well behaved crowd. I slept through today's rally.

Alex Kamm March 16th, 2003 05:04 PM

Yeah... the crowd was very well behaved at the start got... some celebs on tape... then I spent about 2 hours at a park wondering where the rowdy demonstrators where.. so I kinda did my own sniffing around and followed the roit bus on foot :)... and ended up in the right spot!

Ivan Hedley Enger March 17th, 2003 04:28 AM

Well said Chris!

I couldnīt agree with you more. Of course most of us will have an opinion about whatīs going on in this world, but let us not ruin a great community with argues about other subjects than digital video discussions. I also think itīs obvious that political opinions doesnīt belong here.

Ivan

Frank Granovski March 17th, 2003 04:41 AM

Next rally, I'll be there. I finally bought a 100mm lens (off of e-bay). Finally! I should be able to get some good portraits now. My 70--210mm zoom just doesn't cut it. Video? Heck, call me a coward but I'd hate to set 'er up with a tripod. I'd rather take some good picks than bungle around with my video gear. I guess the war starts tomorrow? I'll have to stock up on popcorn and pop to set my lazy _ss in front of CNN.