DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   The Moths of March (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/7917-moths-march.html)

Dennis Hull March 21st, 2003 01:52 PM

The Moths of March

As hobbyist, recently upgraded from TRV 9 to VX2000 (finally bought one after all your help and advice). As part of learning to use camera I shot some interesting footage in my neighborhood at night under foggy conditions (house lights and street lights diffused in fog, light and dark areas, etc---varying exposures, zooms, etc.). When I viewed on TV noticed for the first time what looked like a few white moths flitting around (quite noticeable and distracting white moving spots in center of shot)-- not visible in camera LCD. "Look" of white spots was very similar to bugs you often see buzzing around in tropical shots, but I don't think there are moths outside in March in Minnesota. In my experimenting over last month or so have not seen white spots so I think this is related to hand held wandering of camera and light reflections (maybe some dust spots on lens). However, have seen a lot in forum about dreaded "hot pixels." Searched on this topic, but didn't see similar situation--so asking if this could be sudden occurrence of hot pixels?? Have appreciated advice and help from this forum and hope to contribute some day.

K. Forman March 21st, 2003 02:21 PM

March... Minnesota...White spots... Snow? :)

Mike Rehmus March 21st, 2003 02:39 PM

What you are seeing is very likely bright lights reflecting off the surfaces of the SuperSteady Shot mechanism in the lens. Turn off the SteadyShot and the 'moths' should freeze in place.

Jeff Donald March 21st, 2003 03:16 PM

Hot pixels don't move. The image moves, but pixels are always in the same place. I think Mike has hit the nail on the head. Specular highlights reflecting of the Variable Angle Prism (VAP).

Lou Bruno March 21st, 2003 06:51 PM

Could also be light refraction-use a good coated UV protective filter.

Lou

Dennis Hull March 21st, 2003 09:06 PM

Thank You Mike,Jeff,Lou and maybe Keith

Always learn in this forum. Mike and Jeff, good info about reflections that can come from VAP is SSS--I'll watch for that and know now to try turning off SSS to see if that helps (recognizing other things that can cause reflections). Also know more about what to look for if I suspect hot pixel. Lou, I'll put the B&W UV filter (camera store said it was pretty good quality coated glass) on that I got a while back. Keith, actually beginning our brown grass season but when we have snow creates similar optical problems I imagine like you have with white sand in FL.

K. Forman March 22nd, 2003 05:51 AM

I was trying to add a little levity, and hoping to not be too annoying :)
But it is funny that you mention sand- the video from my wedding was taken outside in Feburary, normally not too bad down here. Everyone that sees the video, thinks the white sand is snow. It could have been. Probably 3 of the coldest days in Florida history, it was dropping into the 20's at night.

Dennis Hull March 22nd, 2003 07:14 PM

Levity for All/Keith

Me too (adding some levity). I have one word for a successful marriage (from the male perspective)-- listen closely and keep your mouth shut.