DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Duct tape on LCD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/81039-duct-tape-lcd.html)

Ernesto Mantaras December 5th, 2006 05:20 PM

Duct tape on LCD

Hi all. This may seem like a foolish question, but earlier today I was scolded for using some duct tape to mark the 16:9 aspect ratio of the image on the LCD of my school's PD170, while recording in 4:3.

Somebody decided it was better to crop in post rather than having the camera toss data itself since there is supposedly no actual loss of image quality when using the first method.

So, I went and pasted some duct tape (it's actually a white "paper" duct tape, don't know what it's called in English) according to the 16:9 aspect ratio to be able to frame things right. And then I was seen and scolded for it (although having previously dropped the 0.7x wide angle lens to the floor thankgodfully not even scratching it probably had something to do with the agressiveness of the scolding...).
So, the bottom line is: can duct tape on an LCD damage it in any way???

Hope I made my point.

Thanks in advance.

Boyd Ostroff December 5th, 2006 05:44 PM

Duct tape (the silver 2 inch wide variety) can very definitely damage a surface. There is a sticky residue left from it, and since it adheres so well the force required to remove it could also be very harmful.

It sounds like you are refering to "masking tape" however, which is intended to keep paint off something when you want a sharp edge between colors. This isn't as bad as duct tape, but I definitely wouldn't want it on any of my screens! It's particularly bad if you leave it in place for awhile as it dries out and will come up in pieces.

If I had to mark an LCD screen I think I'd use a "Post-it" because that's a type of adhesive which is designed to come off easily and not leave a residue. I believe they also make Post-it tape.

Mike Rehmus December 5th, 2006 06:10 PM

There is a paper tape that is used in the industry. It is used to light-proof film canisters and cameras. It is smooth and comes in widths from about 1/8" to over 1". This tape leaves no residue.

Better to make an overlay for the screen with a bit of clear plastic film. Mark the film and paper tape it to the LCD frame.

Robert Martens December 5th, 2006 06:24 PM

Metallic silver Sharpies. I grabbed a package from Staples, or some such place, turned on 16:9 in my VX2000, made little dashes on the black plastic around the LCD to mark the boundaries of the frame, then turned 16:9 off and let the ink dry. Not as complete as actually blocking one's view of the LCD, I suppose, but it lets you see the entire image at once, and you don't have to take the tape off if you decide to shoot some 4:3 footage.

Ernesto Mantaras December 6th, 2006 06:30 PM

Thanks

Thank you guys. Fortunately there wasn't anything inherently wrong with duct tape on an LCD screen. I took it away right away and everything was OK. Fresh glue.
I guess I can find some Post-Its, I've seen them around, although no "Post-It" tape. But I'll get around it. Thanks again for the hastly response. See ya!