DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Help! What's the deal? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8271-help-whats-deal.html)

Scott Burbank April 2nd, 2003 12:25 AM

Help! What's the deal?

Hi all

I'm shooting a play tommorro. Two cameras. XL1 and PD-150.
I and borrowing the PD-150 from work. Its a long play so I wanted to shoot LP. Well I just found out in the manual that you can't shoot LP on the pd-150. That kind off ticked me off.
Anyway, I keep reading and it tells me
" The recording time of the mini DV cassettes is 2/3 shorter than that indicated on the mini DV cassettes."

What does that mean? Will i be shooting and not no when the tape will end?

I want to shoot in mini dv and not dvcam so it will be easier to edit using my XL1 (so it will play back)

Please help quickly
thanks

Scott

(Please don't reply about not shooting in LP)

Ken Tanaka April 2nd, 2003 12:32 AM

Scott,
Hmmm...are you sure the instructions you're reading aren't referring to shooting in DVCAM mode -vs- standard DV mode? The DVCAM format rolls the tape a bit faster than standard DV. Consequently it would eat tape faster.

Scott Burbank April 2nd, 2003 12:50 AM

it states...

" You can not record on a tape in LP mode in the DV format"

Now is DV format meaning mini DV?Anyone have ideas how long a 60 min tape will last on the pd-150 in DV sp mode?

Scott

Scott Burbank April 2nd, 2003 12:53 AM

If there is a way to record in LP mode with the pd-150 please let me know ASAP.

Thanks
Scott

Frank Granovski April 2nd, 2003 12:54 AM

"It's a long play so I want to shoot LP."

When the tape nears 45 minutes, or so, perhaps change the tape really fast during a slow part. Then do it again. Or rent a cam from Leo's on Granville. They've got all sorts of rental cams.

Ken Tanaka April 2nd, 2003 01:00 AM

My earlier note was in reference to your "... 2/3 shorter than that indicated on the mini DV cassettes." remark.

I do not own a PD-150 so I cannot say whether or not it can record in LP mode. Sorry. But I can say that it sounds like it cannot. The "DV" format is standard DV, versus Sony's DVCAM format. (The term "MiniDV" refers to the size of the cassette, not the tape format.)

Jay Enterkin April 2nd, 2003 01:50 AM

PD-150 has no LP mode

It records 40 minutes in DVCam mode, 60 minutes in MiniDV mode.

End of story.

Don Bloom April 2nd, 2003 05:27 AM

Jay got to it before I did, but Yep, that's it. 40 and 60 UNLESS you use the 80/83 minute tapes by either Panasonic or Sony. I know a lot of people don't necessarily like them but they can save your butt when you need the longer times and I've never had any problem with the Pana PQ83's
Just a thought!

Boyd Ostroff April 2nd, 2003 07:41 AM

Getting an 80 miinute tape would also be my suggestion. I use them all the time and haven't had a problem yet. I shoot live performances, and even with an 80 minute tape I can't always make it to intermission. Like others have said, I think the 2/3 figure refers to DVCAM mode, not DV. I have a VX-2000 which can use LP mode, but I don't. I realize that the data written to tape is the same in both SP and LP, but I don't want to risk dropouts on something like a performance shoot which can't be re-created.

Scott Burbank April 2nd, 2003 08:56 AM

Thanks for the quick responses.

Scott