DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   What Accessories to Buy? Where to Buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8316-what-accessories-buy-where-buy.html)

Basem Elsokary April 3rd, 2003 11:21 AM

What Accessories to Buy? Where to Buy?

Hi,...I recently shot my first wedding on a rental vx2000...I am now looking to buy my own within the next month or so. I am beginning to research different stores, different accessories, etc. I did have some questions however, when looking at a site like www.saferseas.com, you read that certain accessories are necessary over the "cheaper" ones to achieve great results. Now I will be using this camera primarily for a wedding business initially, and was wondering if the kind of expensive accessories they recommend are really necessary? Some examples of recommended accessories:

Century Optics lens adapters (wide angle, telephoto, 16:9)
Schneider Optics Filters (polarizer,haze,etc...)
Bogen tripod accessories(tripods,fluid heads, dollys)
etc..

while I don't doubt the quality of these accessories, I guess my main question is do I really need them to achieve great results for wedding videos? I tend to see several "pro" packages on ebay that have what seems to be lesser quality accessories, and I am wondering if they will do the job, or if I will inevitably be disappointed. I don't want to spend money I don't have to, as I am on a tight budget, but I am willing to spend it up front if necessary...

finally,...is there a good summary online somewhere where I can read about different levels of accessories, and some possible reviews?

Thanks!!!

Bill Pryor April 3rd, 2003 11:41 AM

I don't think you really need anything other than a tripod and relatively cheap wireless mic to shoot weddings. And probably a bigger battery than came with the camera.

You might want to put a filter on the lens and leave it on all the time for protection. Most people use a UV or Haze1 for this purpose. Basically, those don't do anything. however, you might consider instead a Tiffen 1/4 Black Promist. It will soften the edges just a bit and you can leave it on all the time if you want. I'm not a believer in cheap filters. You've got a pretty decent, sharp lens on that camera--why compromise it with a $20 filter.

Later on you might want a wide angle adapter because the lens on most "prosumer" camcorders isn't wide enough for most people. Those range in price from about $175 for a Canon to about $450 for the Century Optics. The expensive one gives you zoom-through capability, meaning you can zoom from a wide shot to a closeup and things will stay in focus. With the cheaper ones, you'll lose focus if you zoom too far. If you avoid gratuitous zooming, that shouldn't be a problem. The cheap one distorts a little around the edges, but not much and probably not noticeable for weddings. I would get the camera first and then decide if you need the adapter.

Jeff Donald April 3rd, 2003 01:16 PM

I agree with Bill, don't compromise your image quality with a cheap filter. Cheap filters are the easiest way to cause all kinds problems. Do a search with the button in the upper right. You'll find lots of suggestions for brands.

You will need a decent tripod. Again, use the search function and look for Bogen, Miller, Libec and you'll cover some of the less expensive models.

Start with a basic package, tripod and fluid effect head. If needed, you can add a dolly etc. later, along with many of the accessories you listed. Start small and build a nice production package as your needs dictate.