DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   i.Link capture problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8611-i-link-capture-problems.html)

Mark Henrie April 13th, 2003 03:01 PM

i.Link capture problems

Up until about a week ago my vx2k worked great with my computer and I had no problems with capturing video. Now when I connect my vx2k with the computer all that happens is the lcd display flashes in and out of 'DV IN' and '16BIT', when the tape is stopped in VCR mode, and when I press play it doesn't display 'DV IN' but my computer doesn't recognize or "see" my vx2k. I have hooked my brothers DV Cam up to my computer and it works and I also tryed hooking up my vx2k to my dad's computer with the same results. I have selected A/V-DV OUT - ON and tryed all i could think of. Have any of you had this problem before? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Mark Henrie
mizark18@hotmail.com

Mike Rehmus April 13th, 2003 06:57 PM

Try pressing the reset button on your camera.

If the reset does not work, you may be forced to contact Sony.

Mark Henrie April 13th, 2003 09:31 PM

Yeah so i'm as dumb as they come and decided that i could stick a small screw driver in the i.link port and move the connectors so that the plug would contact them and ended up screwing up the whole thing so i now need a new connector for my camera (vx2k). All comments are well deserved i feel like a dumb F**K. Any idea how much this is going to be to fix? and if its more than 400 would it be any different if i went and bought a 380.00 mini dv cam to use as a vcr to capture from? What is usual labor and parts for something like this? I know my one year warranty isn't going to cover my stupidity.

Jeff Natalie April 14th, 2003 04:24 AM

Mark,
Take it to the store and play dumb. Don't mention anything about sticking a screwdriver in the iLink port. They very well may pay for the fix if it's still under warranty.

Mike Rehmus April 14th, 2003 08:14 AM

Sony Warranty is 90 days parts and labor, one year parts.

I'd also call Armatos to see what they would want to fix it. Sony has a flat-rate repair price for the camera.

While it is in the shop, have it cleaned and the transport checked for alignment. Also have them pay close attention to the transport bits and pieces. Tensioning and guide rollers, drum bearings, etc.

Boyd Ostroff April 14th, 2003 08:45 AM

Ouch, that's rough luck! People often mention sending the VX2K/PD-150 in for regular service to clean and align. Assuming the camera is already in good working condition, any idea of how much this would cost and how long it would take? Do you ship the camera directly to Sony or go through an authorized dealer?

Mike Rehmus April 14th, 2003 10:43 AM

Call Sony service before you do anything and get their quote. It will be a fixed price (normally) unless you can talk them into a time and materials (which might be much more).

Garret Ambrosio April 14th, 2003 01:54 PM

I had this happen to my DCR-TRV11, great lesson to me as well so I feel your pain. But it is not all your fault, per se. The problem is with the design of IEEE 1394 or iLink or Firewire depending if you speak Apple or IEEE or Sony. But anyway, The way the pinouts are on 1394, it is very easy to short the circuit. I did mine in by wiggling the plug the "wrong" way. Look at the bright side, it doesn't real hurt your camera's main ability and this gives you an excuse to get a MiniDV deck :).

Mark Henrie April 16th, 2003 02:59 PM

I'd love to get a MiniDV deck, but i just can't warrant spending that much when i could get a minidv camera for 380, what would be the advantages of getting a JVC miniDV deck?

Mike Rehmus April 16th, 2003 04:04 PM

If you get one of the dual deck units, S-VHS & miniDV, then you get quite a bit. DV to Analog and back format conversion, greatest dubs I've ever seen in either direction. Basic linear editing capability too.

Downside: Amateur transports that are not very responsive compared to my Sony DSR-20. Probably won't last as long in a commercial environment (but more than good enough for amateur use).

I'd rather have a second or third DV camera.

For the first time ever, I wanted a 4th camera this weekend at a wedding.

Garret Ambrosio April 16th, 2003 06:06 PM

Wow this thread has somewhat tied into the one posted by Mark Richman, the long debate about owning a cheap cam vs a deck. The problems I found with these decks is price. $1000 and up to get something good. But then they have all thewse editing features which really brings the price up to where it is at right now. Ken Tanaka suggested a few models, but my question would be can I buy a vanilla Minidv deck? One that plays, rewinds, fast forwards, and maybe has a small monitor and again maybe a record button. In other words like a set top VCR but MiniDV. Is this available? I don't need all the editing features since this is all done by the NLE.

BTW, Mike wanna buy a 4th Camera? Cheap single chipper, ofcourse. :)