DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Sony VX2000 mic question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8932-sony-vx2000-mic-question.html)

Dan Measel April 23rd, 2003 08:35 PM

Sony VX2000 mic question

I'm a hobbyist and want to improve my audio over the installed mic on my VX2000. But I want to keep it simple (Mini plug into camera) and economical (less than $200). I read a lot of threads recommending the Sennheiser ME66, but it's out of my price range and sounds complicated with different adaptors and power supplies. I was considering the Sennheiser MKE300. Will this significantly improve my audio or am I wasting my money?

Frank Granovski April 23rd, 2003 08:48 PM

It will improve the audio by a little, perhaps. Plus, the MKE300 doesn't have a good track record: they break easily.

Garret Ambrosio April 23rd, 2003 08:48 PM

I heard the MKE300 sucks, I have the SGM2X which was under $200 great mic.

Harry Settle April 23rd, 2003 09:09 PM

I got the SGM-X also, and really like the quality of the sound, for the price. The only thing that bothers me about it, so far, is that it could use a better shock mount. Mine tends to pick up the sound of my hand on the tripod sometimes. Mostly not too noticeable unless I accidently hit something with my ring.

Mike Rehmus April 23rd, 2003 10:06 PM

If you can squeeze out about $240, you can get the Audio Technica 835B shotgun. It is well regarded and in use by a lot of ENG crews. I use two and it does very well indeed.

You will have to consider a mount for it and that does add to the cost. But the improvement will be very noticable. And then you can put it on a boom and get great sound when you need to.

Tom Hardwick April 24th, 2003 08:48 AM

The MKE300 is a little darling and is much more directional than the on-board mics. It works very well indeed with the VX2k with one proviso - you need to buy ther "D" version as the straight 300 hums if it's used on the camera's hot shoe.

Plugs straight in, runs off a tiny silver oxide cell and is great value for money.

tom.

Dan Measel April 24th, 2003 07:45 PM

I am now looking into getting one of those recommended above, but they have the XLR connector. Does that require more than just an adapter to plug it into the VX2000?

I live in a small town so I have to get things shipped to me (from B&H) I want to make sure I get everything I need on the first shipment so I can use it right away. Can you advise me as to what accessories I need for either the SGM2X or the Technica 835B?

Thanks

Mike Rehmus April 25th, 2003 10:13 PM

THe great problem I see with the MKE300 is that if the wind overcomes the foam that is permanently attached to the microphone, you are out of luck. There are no commercial 'furry' windcovers available. You can build your own but they don't work quite as well as the commercial models.

The MKE300 that we have at the local community college sat unused for several years until I got there. Seems the mounting screw for the shoe mount had become loose and they though the microphone was broken.

The battery doesn't last very long so our students are asked to remove the batteries (as should anyone with any battery-powered equipment) because the switch is hard to remember for them.

It is said that the microphones also pick up camera noise. Obviously it doesn't do that on all installations.

Tom Hardwick April 26th, 2003 06:01 AM

Couple of points mike. The MKE's foam shield simply pulls off, it's held with little partches of velcro. Easy. Then I fit my Rycote Softie (made specifically for the ME66) and away you go.

Your point about the 300 picking up camera noise is very true, hense the introduction of the MKE300D, which cures thios failing.

tom.