DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Camera and Mic choice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8944-camera-mic-choice.html)

Trent O Connor April 24th, 2003 08:27 AM

Camera and Mic choice

Hi, i'm a newbie based in the UK.
This is a long post but i'd appreciate it if anyone could help.
I have been using a Sony VX2000 for filming football (soccer) videos for teams.
I am now starting a new business and thought id buy another one. Although we did have slight hiss problems when using an external lead (i think that was due to the lead being stereo?) and occassionally a close up zoom would lose focus, ive found the vx2000 very good. should i buy another? any preference? i used to use a sony dsr300 but cant afford it!
also, i will now be making training videos and so a wireless clip mic would be very useful so the demonstrator can walk about without a mic and lead and use both hands. can u get a clip mic for the vx2000?
many thanks for any help and 'hi'!

Tom Hardwick April 24th, 2003 08:44 AM

Yes, a second VX2k makes a lot of sense as batteries, filters, wide-angles, Hoodman etc will be interhangeable. Best thing is you'll feel instantly at home as soon as you pick it up, know where all the controls are and can have all the custom presets matched so that timeline intercutting between the cameras will be hassle free.

You might want to look at the PDX10 if customers were clamouring for 16:9 videos, but you'd have to suffer the worse low-light performance but the camcorder is the same price as the VX so may be worth a look. Nice big side-screen.

The Senheisser E100 series is the radio mic of choice. Justly famous and it'll do all you ask of it.

tom.

Trent O Connor April 24th, 2003 09:20 AM

Cheers Tom

I wasnt sure whether to try the new Canon. You know the funny looking white and red one? Only because it can be placed on the shoulder whereas the VX2000 can't and its about the same price.

Think i'll go for the Sony tho.

Looking to get a newer editing suite tho. We've had the Pinnacle 500+ but i've been told the Pro-One RTDV is the prefered choice. This is all far too technical for me.
As for the mic - I put ' Senheisser E100 ' in Google and it didnt come up with anything. whats a good site to buy mics from?

16:9? Ive always just used the setting its always been on. We've made videos - they seemed fine.

ps - this site is great!

David Mintzer April 24th, 2003 01:39 PM

The Canon doesn't exactly fit comfortably on your shoulder--some people don't like its ergonomics---I bought my mics through B&H Photo---there are a ton of places to purchase them Full Compass is another one. However, I dont know what the deal is for overseas shipments (I noticed you were from England).

Tom Hardwick April 25th, 2003 07:51 AM

Sounds like you might be thinking of the Canon XL1s Trent. Well, here in the UK it costs a good deal more than the VX2k - something like a third more. And you can't usde it on your shooulder and there's no side screen and so on.

tom.

Trent O Connor April 25th, 2003 07:56 AM

i remember it costs more.
never had a close look so didnt realise it doesnt have a pull out screen. i thought it can wedge in like a gun, into your shoulder for xtra support hence the odd shape tho?

i'm stickin with the vx2000 - £1900 ($2900?) new in tottenham court road - as long as u have cash there and then.