DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   2 questions about vx-2000?? help a newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/8991-2-questions-about-vx-2000-help-newbie.html)

Michael McConnell April 25th, 2003 10:31 PM

2 questions about vx-2000?? help a newbie

I recently bought a vx-2000 and want to increase my overall knowledge of camera operation. I took my vx to the auto car show in NYC and basically my camera shots sucked, is there anyplace on the web where I can read up on how to operate my cam a little better? My main goal is to do documentary style shooting so it's very important I learn these things.

My second question is what is a god lav mic for vx? I have a xlr adapter already.

Alex Knappenberger April 25th, 2003 10:33 PM

Any lav mic will work good... look at www.bhphotovideo.com

What do you mean by your shots sucked? Was it dull in colors? Was it shakey? What exactly was the problem?

The VX2000 in auto mode, generally gives good results, but taking advantage of the many manual features it has to offer, is always a good thing.

Michael McConnell April 25th, 2003 10:45 PM

twas really shaky...colors extremely dull

Yes, the footage was really shaky and the color was also really dull. I'm really new to this digital video thing and I'm trying to at least capture solid shots of people..places and things. I have a book that recommends keeping the camera close to my body when i shoot to prevent shakiness but, thats the only reference to operating cam's that it gives. what auto modes are good to set?

David Hurdon April 26th, 2003 05:40 AM

Christina Fox recently posted links to BBC training material on the VX2000. I downloaded two PDFs and have learned some key stuff using them. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.bbctraining.co.uk/onlineCourse.asp?tID=5160&cat=2797

David Hurdon

Garret Ambrosio April 26th, 2003 10:01 AM

Mike, dude, make sure steady shot is on, avoid full telephoto unless you are on a good tripod and check your White Balance or just set everything to "auto" until you learn enough to go manual.

Harry Settle April 26th, 2003 10:35 AM

Get a decent tripod, monopod shoulder brace or whatever fits the occaision for you. Work with your white balance. Remember to shoot nothing less than 10 seconds, plan your shots, it's better to have too much than not enough. Shoot lots of film, practice, practice, practice. All of the book learning in the world won't help if you can't use your camera. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Learn from them, we all do.

Wayne Orr April 26th, 2003 02:12 PM

A wide angle converter will also improve the hand held shots. It would be an absolute for me if I was shooting an auto show. Many models of wide lenses available, check the archieves.

Paul Tauger April 26th, 2003 04:42 PM

One word of warning: apparently, wide angle lenses can degrade the performance of the VX2000's optical stabilizer. I discovered this myself on a shoot in India. When I commented on it here, someone mentioned that it's documented in the manual. Just goes to show that I shoud RTFM.

David Hurdon April 26th, 2003 06:56 PM

Paul, in what way was the image degraded? So many shooters never take the lens off that this should be a major issue.

David Hurdon

Wayne Orr April 26th, 2003 07:08 PM

And what lens was it? I have logged a lot of miles with my Sony wide lens attached and never had a problem with the steadishot, although the warning is in the manual. Was this a low light situation?

Mike Rehmus April 26th, 2003 08:27 PM

Many wide angle adapters soften the image somewhat. Not bad but definitly softer.

The Steadshot function in the 150/2000 can apparently be fooled by the WA adapter. Except for hand-held situations, I turn it off now. Sure miss the exterior switch the VX1000 had for the function.

Steady shot at full wide with an adapter is probably not necessary anyway.

BTW, I'm not certain the camera is really designed to have a WA adapter on it all the time. I'm thinking of mechanical stress on the lens and lens mount.

Michael McConnell April 27th, 2003 09:25 AM

NICE...The info has been very useful especially the christina fox tutorials. I'm taking my vx out and practicing so I can get comfy with operation. Mike rhemus what do you think of a pro mist filter? will it give the vx a professional look?

Paul Tauger April 27th, 2003 10:25 AM

Quote:

in what way was the image degraded?
The image wasn't degraded; the stability was. Steady shot couldn't keep the image as steady.
Quote:

And what lens was it?
Optex .65x
Quote:

Was this a low light situation
No -- full day light.
Quote:

Steady shot at full wide with an adapter is probably not necessary anyway.
It certainly is in the situations in which I shoot, i.e. walking behind my subjects.
Quote:

I'm not certain the camera is really designed to have a WA adapter on it all the time. I'm thinking of mechanical stress on the lens and lens mount.
Which is why I bought the WA with the bayonet mount, which takes the stress, rather than the lens mount which contains the screw thread.

Bryan Beasleigh April 27th, 2003 11:05 AM

That was an excellent answer Paul.
Mike, Christina Fox has a PD150 workbook on her site. there are many other informative articles as well.
http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm

Harry Settle April 27th, 2003 01:07 PM

Lot's of us are using the Canon WA-58, I haven't noticed any distortion with this lens at all.

Tom Karr April 28th, 2003 06:12 AM

XV2000 circa 2003 vs. 2000?

Am wondering if the XV2000 models made in 2002 0r 2003 are improved over the same model made in 2000, or the same?

Thanks, Tom

Mike Rehmus April 28th, 2003 08:26 AM

Paul,

Steadyshot will often cause more problems that it solves with with the motion of walking. It is not designed to handle gross camera motion caused by walking and can even make the apparent motion worse.

The solution, as you probably know, is a modified glide where your feet sort of slide across the ground. This avoids the 'snap' that gets generated in a normal stride.

Some sort of Glidecam apparatus is the best way although I've seen some good ENG cameramen that can smooth a walk out very well. Even the best cannot keep it up for a long distance though.

Tom,

Japanese manufacturing is done in batches. They tool up to build a large number of cameras and then retool to build another model or product. Usually you can tell batch numbers by the digits on the left side of the serial number. One has to look at a sufficient number of serial numbers to intuit the code. Often, with low-unit number products like our camcorders, only the last 4 digits change for a particular unit. The other numbers denote the batch number.

They do incorporate running changes as they encounter problems and can implement solutions. The most public of those changes were the (dare I say it? The Hiss problem)

Sony replaced my 10 month old PD150 with a unit that was several build-batches newer than the old unit. The first unit came from B&H stock, the second directly from Sony. I estimate that the serial numbers are many build batches apart. The new 150 is subtly different from the older camera.

One are is that I feel the manual focus is not nearly as directly coupled as the first camera. Makes it much harder to handle in quickly changing situations.

Wayne Orr April 28th, 2003 09:30 AM

"Some sort of Glidecam apparatus is the best way although I've seen some good ENG cameramen that can smooth a walk out very well. Even the best cannot keep it up for a long distance though."

I am going to have to disagree with Mike's otherwise fine advice on this point, if this is going to influence someone to rush out and purchase a Glidecam. IMHO, the Glidecam is of minimal value, until you move up to the much more expensive version with the spring arm and vest. And I won't comment on those models, as I have no experience with them.

The cheap Glidecam is very difficult to balance, and extremely tiring to hold for anything other than a short burst, unless you are the Hulk. Figure you are basically doubling the weight of the VX2K, which would be at least ten pounds with a wide angle lens. Try filling a briefcase till it weighs about ten pounds, then try holding it with your forearm perpendicular to the ground, and then try walking and pointing it. This will give you an idea of what you are in for with the Glidecam. You can frequently find these items on E-bay after their owners give up in frustration. www.homebuiltstabilizers.com will show you how to build a similar stabilizer for very little money.

The most popular device for handholding a motion picture camera is a shoulder brace with two handles attached that allow you to control and balance the camera as you move. You can see similar versions of these braces for light weight video cameras at many sites around the web. While the second handle may be overkill for small format cameras, using one of these devices will go a long way to improving your handheld skills, when used in tandem with Mike's shuffle step.

Mike Rehmus April 28th, 2003 09:54 AM

A glidecam without the spring arm is no glidecam at all.

I use an old wheelchair a lot. Riding in a wheelchair, steadyshot really does work well. I know, it takes another person, but they only have to know how to push at a steady pace.

If you need to move long distances with the 150/2000, try turning it sideways and looking at the LCD reversed and placed back against the camera body. It brings the center of gravity back closer to your chest and everything gets smoother. Hard to follow someone though.

Paul Tauger April 28th, 2003 11:00 AM

Unfortunately, a glide cam isn't an option for me. I do travel video, and my kit is already big and heavy enough. I bought the VX2000 somewhat reluctantly, because of size and weight. The TRV950, while a far better form factor, simply wasn't an option, though, because of its atrocious low light performance. Right now, I carry the VX2000, with the Optex .65 wa, a few extra batteries, a Sharp MT-15 MD recorder, an ATR55 shotgun, a Sony ECM-907 stereo microphone, a Vivanco EM-116 stereo lapel mike, polarizing filters, an Adorama monopod, and a Canon EOS film camera (eventually to be replaced by an EOS 10d digital camera), all of which fits nicely in a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack. That's more than enough to lug around.

I don't mind if there is some "bounce" when I do my follow shots -- part of what I'm trying to do is capture the feel of actually being in the places I shoot. A little bounce makes the viewer "feel" like they're walking along. If the shake gets too bad (which, ironically, is more an issue for my stationary shots, then when I"m moving), I use Dynapel's Steadyhand to smooth things out in post (the latest iteration of Steadyhand is truly amazing -- sometimes it glitches, but most of the time it gives a nice steady image with minimal resolution loss. I think it must do some kind of pixel interpolation in addition to the steadying algorithm).

I think the key for me is Mike's shuffle step, i.e. developing a movement style that minimizes camera bounce. To a certain extent, the weight of the VX2000 helps -- I "one hand" the camera and use my elbow and shoulder joints as shock absorbers. It's taken some practice, but I've gotten good enough at it where I can usually wind up with usable footage. Of course, shooting full wide helps, too, which is why it is so frustrating that the VX2000's optical steady shot degrades when used with the Optex lens. I still can't figure out why this should be so, unless the VX2000 uses physical movement sensors, as opposed to computer algorithms that analyze the image, to detect shake and the mass of the accessory lens damps the movement enough to interfere with the sensors. Using an accessory wide angle lens certainly wasn't a problem with my TRV20, which electronic image stabilization.

Wayne Orr April 28th, 2003 11:28 AM

What you might do is try another wide lens. I have had good luck with the Sony, but I confess I have not done a lot of walking with it. B&H is good about these things; if you get one from them, test it out, and if it is still a problem, return it within a short time and say it did not perform as expected, and they will issue a refund (assuming no physical signs of wear).

Additionally, these items are available for rent in most major cities.