DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 gone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/9503-vx2000-gone.html)

Neil Fisher May 10th, 2003 02:54 PM

VX2000 gone?

Well after just taking a look at the sonystyle.ca web site, I have determined that the VX2000 has been discontinued in Canada. I would have to say for good reason too, they have a whole smack of new handycam thing, some are two mega pixel, 1 chip cams. However after checking sonystyle.com they still have it listed. What does this mean, usually the American sites are undated first thent the Canadian sites second. Is the VX2000 really no more, will we be seeing a VX3000 soon. Hopefully it won't replace the 2000 in the way the 950 replaced the 900.

Frank Granovski May 10th, 2003 04:22 PM

Here in Vancouver you usually have to place an order and wait a few weeks for the VX to arrive. Even 2 years ago that was the way it was when you wanted one.

Boyd Ostroff May 10th, 2003 06:26 PM

FWIW, two years ago (September 2001) I was only able to find two stores in the Philadelphia area that had a VX-2000 in stock. Nobody had a PD-150, and I was told they had waiting lists at several stores. I was really annoyed when I drove downtown on a Saturday to a shop that claimed to have one on the phone, only to try and sell me a GL-1 when I arrived; they said they could order a PD-150. None of the large mail order places (like B&H) had PD-150's either.

Right after NAB this year somebody posted an interview they claimed was with a Sony rep, saying they weren't replacing the PD-150 yet because it was selling so well and the factory had a waiting list of dealers that wanted them. Of course, Sony officially discredited this interview later as I recall...

Bryan Beasleigh May 10th, 2003 08:05 PM

"I have determined that the VX2000 has been discontinued in Canada. I would have to say for good reason too, they have a whole smack of new handycam thing, some are two mega pixel, 1 chip cams."

Your profile says you have a PD150 and an XL1S and you would make a statement like that?
Maybe I ,misunderstood you but mega pixel handycams and good DV are not the same issue. The XL1S has the less effective pixels than the sony yet it still has life.

David Mintzer May 10th, 2003 09:53 PM

I'm amazed that the PD-150 is on backorder at so many dealers---It's not like this camera is the new guy on the block---I have to assume that due to the weakening economy manufacturers are are keeping production down---

Mike Rehmus May 10th, 2003 10:08 PM

The 150 continues to sell well because it performs very well in most applications.

Sony has been quoted as saying that the 150 and the 2000 will be replaced before NAB next year.

Bryan Beasleigh May 11th, 2003 01:06 AM

My reservation wasn't with the fact that the VX2K will be replaced it was the opinion that it could be replaced or even matched by single chip consumer stuff (I wanted to say toys). The current crop of single chip Sony's haven't been up to their usual standard.

Frank Granovski May 11th, 2003 01:09 AM

The TRV70 are 80 don't look too bad.

Bryan Beasleigh May 11th, 2003 01:57 AM

The 70 and 80 don't look to bad. The sony canadian site doesn't have them unavailable yet but B&H in NY has stock. They aren't a 3 chip 1/3" CCD camera though. One of the first accessories would be a wide angle adapter.
The focal length is 4.5 to 55 which is the equivilent to a 52mm 35mm lense.

Frank Granovski May 11th, 2003 02:06 AM

1 chippers, Beas, 1 chippers. 1/3.6" CCD; over 1M video effective CCD pixels---should be sharp. It also has all the low shutter settings. The 70 doesn't have the blueteeth, but you're stuck with the smaller LCD. Oh ya, nice viewfinders. I haven't yet been able to get my hands on one---we won't have them for another 3 weeks or so---according to the local Sony Store. I'll have to take a boo at A&B Sound next week, after I get that footage for Bruce.

Bryan Beasleigh May 11th, 2003 08:57 AM

I know they're one chippers Frank and they have green teeth (not blue). It's remarkeable that everyone says they are so good, sight unseen.

Garret Ambrosio May 11th, 2003 01:41 PM

I think the Invasion of Iraq caused the shortage in the PD150's I was told by Snader and Associates that for a few weeks there, they had trouble getting them because CNN bought somthing like 3000, they were using them as disposables rather than use the much more expensive cameras. The recent Sony price drops for both cameras are probably good signals of the impending doom hiatus for PD150 and the VX2000.

David Mintzer May 11th, 2003 06:53 PM

Let me guess-- sometime before NAB we will get a PD-150 type camera that has 24fps---What else could they improve---maybe a new lense that goes a little wider----maybe throw true 16:9 chips in there----that would do it if I was in the market for a camera.