DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xavc-pmw-f5-f55-cinealta/)
-   -   SCL-Z18X140 on F55 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xavc-pmw-f5-f55-cinealta/517439-scl-z18x140-f55.html)

Craig Kovatch June 28th, 2013 12:00 PM

SCL-Z18X140 on F55

Hello.

Just wondering how well this lens works on the F55. I'm sure the lens is not geared for 4K acquisition, but will be fine for 2K. I'm also wondering if anyone has figured out how to use a tripod mounted zoom demand on this lens, or if one can be used on the camera. I've used a Fujinon zoom demand for years, and can't see living without it. Does the F55 have any power zoom capabilities?

Thank you.

Nate Weaver June 29th, 2013 07:15 AM

Re: SCL-Z18X140 on F55

I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of the optics themselves...I'd bet it's fine for 4K. Sony always seems to do fine in that regard.

As I understand it, there is no capacity to use the power zoom short of a mysterious adapter box mounted on pan handle that was shown at NAB that drove the zoom motor, but I do not recall what exactly the controls were on it. I'm sure somebody will chip in here with it's model number and more info.

There is nothing on the 5 or 55 geared to motorized zoom control, other than providing power for external solutions (i.e. power through lens contacts to Cabrio lenses, or Hirose connectors to power a Microforce setup). It's just not that type of camera.

Mike Marriage June 30th, 2013 07:11 AM

I bought one for my F5 last week as it makes it a very adaptable camera.

First impressions are that the optical quality is excellent. As everyone knows it is quite slow, but for documentary style work, you can push the F5 to around 10,000 ISO with acceptable noise, so it isn't as much of an issue as you may think.

It won't auto back focus with current firmware, so it took a little bit of fiddling with the mechanical back focus on the camera to get it to work. I was struggling to make it work and then suddenly it seemed to have perfect back focus, so ensure you can make it work with the camera before committing.

This lens currently has no competition on the market, so if you need a high ratio, compact zoom, it your only real choice.

I really hope Sony produce a bolt on side grip with zoom rocker and remote input!

Craig Kovatch July 2nd, 2013 09:18 PM

Thank for the input guys. The zoom control interface is a CBKDCB01. A bit pricey, but seems to be the only option.

Mike, how are you finding the depth of field with this lens?

Paul Cronin August 15th, 2013 11:47 AM

Hi Mike,

Are you still happy with the lens?

I am going to demo the F5 and F55 next week and will give the lens a look. From what I am reading it seems like a great options for a lot of my work. Then a EF mount for my stack of EF-L glass and then rent PL.

Mike Marriage August 15th, 2013 01:39 PM

Hi Paul and Craig,

The depth of field is a little shallower than on a 2/3" camera but noticeably more than S35 2.8 zooms.

Today I just added the wooden Vocas grip to my 15mm bars so that I can hold it very much like an ENG lens but without controls for my right hand. I had to use the tilted 15mm bracket to make it fit, otherwise it catches on the lens.

Paul, it's definitely worth a look. My lens box is the SCL-Z18x140, a few stills zooms, Samyang primes and then hire PL glass for higher end jobs.

Paul Cronin August 17th, 2013 10:06 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input. Rule has the SCL lens to check out at the same time. Will try to decide between the 5 an 55 based on my needs, but I might find global shutter hard to give up.

The SCL lens makes perfect sense to be part of the package. Agree with you on glass options, my EF-L glass with adapter, an renting PL for specific jobs opens the camera to all my clients.

Paul Cronin August 21st, 2013 01:24 PM

Mike,

Checked out the F55 today and the SCL lens. Looks like a great combo. Have you tried it with the rocker? I am told there is one for the camera not just the external box?

For your EF glass which adapter are you using? I see the Optitek Optitron has been taken off the Abel site. Rule was suggesting the MTF adapter. Waiting on a answer to know if it will let me use OS?

Paul Cronin August 22nd, 2013 08:29 AM

Went to the MTF site and with the control unit it does power IS.

Tom Roper November 15th, 2013 12:23 AM

Hi Mike, couple questions. Is the flange back working now with the 2.0 firmware update? Does the auto focus work, lastly does the f-stop display in the viewfinder?

Paul Cronin November 15th, 2013 09:15 AM

Hi Tom,

I have the F55 and the SCL lens and the answer to all of your questions is no not yet. If you go to https://community.sony.com/ you can find all the current information on the camera and the lens from owner operators.

Tom Roper November 15th, 2013 12:07 PM

Thanks Paul, will check it out.