DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Support in NLE's? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/100517-support-nles.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere August 3rd, 2007 03:39 PM

Support in NLE's?

With the coming of a real affordable XDCamera (The EX, well, affordable for a big chunk of DVinfo anyhow), will there (have to) come support from programs like Adobe Premiere?
Just wondering.

Thanks,

Peter Jefferson August 3rd, 2007 08:06 PM

no idea, but vegas already supports XDCamHD mxf format, as does AXIO (premiere)

Alister Chapman August 4th, 2007 02:52 AM

As the EX will probably use the same MPEG MXF's as the bigger XDCAM's any NLE that currently supports XDCAM HD should also work with the EX. So for at the moment for Premiere you will need something like the one of the Cineform plugins or Matrox hardware. Avid, FCP, Vegas and many others already support XDCAM HD natively.

I think in the last year or so Premiere has really started to slip behind most of the other NLE's. I used to love Premiere, but it seems to be stagnating at the moment.

Peter Arnold August 4th, 2007 03:51 PM

I edit XDCAM HD mxf files on Avid Liquid ever since the XDCAM HD format came out without any problems so far.

Peter

Tyson Persall August 5th, 2007 03:50 PM

Its my understanding...
That if your doing any serious software based editing with Premiere pro in HD, then you really have to have Aspect HD installed. All the adobe people at the conference really push Aspect HD as if its there own product.

The only downside might be having to spend time to convert the files to the cineform codec as opposed to editing the XDCAM files nativly. But cineform codec is a good one.

Some how Vegas was able to have the aspect HD codec software engine - whatever - become a part of Vegas natively... is that right? Im not sure why Adobe cant do this, but perhaps there are licensing fees they don't want to pay -and it would make premiere more expensive... when anyone that needs it can just go buy it from Cine form as a plug in.

Kevin Shaw August 5th, 2007 04:18 PM

Edius "Broadcast" version should work.

Ray Bell August 6th, 2007 05:35 PM

With Cineform now supporting XDCAM with the Cineform intermediate " AVI "

All editors will support the XDCAM and the EX to come later this year....

Premier Pro is included....

John Hewat August 29th, 2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 724510)
With Cineform now supporting XDCAM with the Cineform intermediate " AVI "

All editors will support the XDCAM and the EX to come later this year....

Premier Pro is included....

So you're all saying that Premiere Pro supports it provided we have Aspect HD, right?

Ray Bell August 30th, 2007 05:31 AM

Well, depends.... Cineform products come in different flavors.... one set of options support MAC and another support for PC... within those you get to choose products for Adobe and Vegas (other NLE's ?) and in each of those
choices you get to choose different levels of quality/features....

Personally I would not choose Aspect for the EX cam... for PC work I'd choose Prospect as a minimum...

Go to the Cineform web site to explore the different options...

Its really down to color depth and the size of the frames that push you in the right direction.........

Kevin Shaw August 30th, 2007 08:28 AM

Pre-release info for Sony Vegas 8 indicates that it will have support for the XDCAM format, so if that includes the EX it could be worth a look for use with that camera. For more info see this link: http://www.videoguys.com/vegaspro8.html

Greg Boston August 30th, 2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 736834)
Pre-release info for Sony Vegas 8 indicates that it will have support for the XDCAM format, so if that includes the EX it could be worth a look for use with that camera. For more info see this link: http://www.videoguys.com/vegaspro8.html

Of course it supports XDCAM format, that's already in Vegas 7. Can't see why it would get removed in Version 8. Vegas 7 is one of the few that supports editing the proxy files then conforming to the full resolution material at the end.

Keep in mind that XDCAM EX will be compatible with its larger siblings, and may add to it. But it won't be a totally new codec scheme.

-gb-

Mike Williams August 30th, 2007 08:52 PM

Fcp

I see all kinds of XD cam options in FCP2 and I would imagine pro res can do it. I still have my "old" G5s and from what I have spent time reading I need a capture card to use it and they are too slow anyway.

John Hewat August 30th, 2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 736763)
Personally I would not choose Aspect for the EX cam... for PC work I'd choose Prospect as a minimum...

I understand that - what I'm asking is whether PPro will work on its own, without having to pay for one of those Cineform downloads?