DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Australian Price (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/103181-australian-price.html)

Robert Bec September 11th, 2007 04:32 PM

I don't even think Sony have a repair centre in Sydney anymore which is a joke for professional products they only repair broadcast equipment for networks.

As long as there is international warrenty that's sweet

Mark Kenfield September 13th, 2007 10:09 AM

I agree, until Aussies distributors can supply products at reasonable prices (they're often 30% more than the average price overseas) they are going to have people looking very seriously at imports (aren't "grey" imports second-hand products?) especially in the "prosumer" end of the market. Larger companies can afford to absorb the additional costs, but smaller operations(videographers, indie filmmakers etc.) are often stretched to afford a $10,000+ camera.

In this market segment a few thousand dollars IS a big deal, and distributors need to act on this if they want the market's total support - and they'll get it if they can make their prices more reasonable. People don't want to buy imported goods without proper warranties or support, but if the price difference between domestic and imported goods keeps them from being able to afford the additional equipment they need to turn a profit - they're going to import. It's sad, but true.

David Errington September 13th, 2007 09:37 PM

Link to Sony Roadshow

Here's the link for Sony xdcamEX roadshow:

http://www.sony.com.au/article.jsp?id=4015

Robert Bec September 13th, 2007 10:44 PM

thank you David i have put my name down this is exciting

Robert

John Hewat September 14th, 2007 02:42 AM

Are they giving away a camera per state or just one for the country?

Robert Bec September 24th, 2007 07:03 PM

videocraft said the unit will cost under $10,000 with a card

John Hewat September 24th, 2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 749441)
videocraft said the unit will cost under $10,000 with a card

Robert, you've just made my day!

If that's the case I will own one for sure!

Chris Soucy September 25th, 2007 12:27 AM

Joe............

"support your distributors" sounds great, but when they are getting shafted by the manufacturers, there really isn't much that can be done.

The manufactrurers (some, anyway) are well aware that the prices they are selling stuff here for are (in many cases) way above what any sane person is going to pay once margins, shipping etc are added on top, and have put the distributors between a rock and a hard place.

I can give you two different scenarios, both absolutely true:

1. Looking for a shed load of new camera support gear, and approached the only NZ distributor for the stuff I wanted (who shall remain nameless). The price from them worked out 40% (yes 4 - 0 percent!) more than buying from B&H NY, including shipping, duty and GST!!!

Their response: "We can't get them any cheaper from the manufacturers"

My response to them was to give that particular manufacturer the flick and do all NZ camera/ video pro's a favour. And to tell that particular manufacturer their equipment business had moved to NY! (which is where I bought it from).

2. Looking for yet more camera support gear, different manufacturer, part of same group. Different distributor.

Their deal was withing a hairs breadth ($100 NZ) of the cost from B&H (all costs included) and they could get the gear to me in 2 weeks, whereas B&H didn't have any of the stuff I wanted in stock and/ or was on 14 days delivery TO THEM!

No doubts, I ordered from the NZ distributor.

I don't see any point getting into the "grey" argument, as I believe the market will sort the wheat from the chaff here, if manufacturers will not see what is happening, they will lose their local market, and serves them right - if their stuff gets either "greyed" or "B&H'ed", they only have themselves to blame.

CS

Joe Lawry September 25th, 2007 05:40 PM

Chris, you make some good points. However the fact is things do have to get shipped here, and our governments do impose tax's etc. This is the price we pay for living in 'small' countries far away from the states.

Even if you buy grey market.. your still spending 8 or so thousand on the equipment. I dont know about you but i sure as hell want a warrenty and support when spending that much money.

Buying form B&H is slightly different, i have bought from there, however i still dont think i'd buy a professional camera from there. They are as legit as they come, however you still run the risk of having no 'real' support in your home country.

Im not going to get into a fight about this. You guys can buy from whoever you want. Im going to stick with local authorised retailers who i know will give me support if the gear fails.

Joe Lawry September 25th, 2007 07:39 PM

NZ Prices

Just got the email -

PDW-EX1 will cost $11,490 + GST including 8GB SxS card. Additional SxS cards will initially cost around $750 + GST for an 8GB SxS card and around $1,295 + GST for a 16GB SxS card

Chris Soucy September 25th, 2007 08:23 PM

Hey Joe..........

Was that from Protel, perchance?

I agree with you on the camera front BTW, at those prices I want a Warranty too, and that's without the PAL/ NTSC problems buying from the States.

Lower priced stuff and bomb proof items like camera support etc are a different kettle of fish entirely.

Interestingly, buying off shore doesn't always mean losing the manufacturers support services - I had an issue [ I stress, not a fault] with my new Vinten Vision 3 head (bought from B&H, NY), and Vinten UK had a triple pack of counterbalance springs in my mail box in less than a week, now THAT's what I call support!

CS

Joe Lawry September 26th, 2007 02:26 PM

Yup Protel. Will be interesting to what it'll drop too when specials start.

Good ol' vinten. I've heard they were good at looking after people. I've got 2 sets of Vision 100s at work, quality tripods and when i need to upgrade my personal gear from my current miller solo i'll be going vinten.

Anyway, im glad at least someone agrees on the camera front.

Joe

Peter Jefferson September 27th, 2007 10:11 AM

Prices are now floating between $10500 and $12k AUD.

Serena Steuart September 27th, 2007 07:04 PM

>>>Aus needs to make as much money<<<

I guess you've somewhat simplified the argument, because it doesn't read well to me. The argument for charging more can only be on the basis of the cost of supporting the item (training staff, holding parts, slower turn-over of stock). The cost of staff is less than in US. If the argument is that Sony/Canon in Australia is entitled to an income similar to their counterparts in the USA, or that TASMAN or Videoguys are entitled to the same income as B&H, then GlobalMedia are on to a good thing. I saved $2K buying from NZ and you'll note that Sony guarantees cover Australasia (Aust & NZ).

EDIT: GlobalMedia appear to hold their stocks in NZ (and UK). They'll deliver to your residence in NZ and my stuff was shipped from NZ

I see that Videoguys (Aus) now has it for $10,440 inc GST + extra card