DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ex Operator's Manual? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/106095-ex-operators-manual.html)

Travis Binkle October 20th, 2007 08:55 PM

Ex Operator's Manual?

Does anyone know if it was released yet and if not when it might be?

Chris Hurd October 20th, 2007 09:09 PM

As soon as it appears on an official Sony site, we'll link to it from here. Don't expect it to happen until just after the first cameras start to ship.

Travis Binkle October 30th, 2007 09:19 PM

Thanks Chris, I'll be looking forward to it.

Ray Bell October 31st, 2007 09:17 PM

This was posted earlier tonight....

the manual is embeded in the browser file....

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1193315622075

Craig Seeman October 31st, 2007 10:30 PM

Included in that link are EX1 Manuals for 7 languages.

Mac and Windows SxS Device Driver Software Installer
ReadMe for the above in 7 languages.

XDCAM EX Clip Browsing Software Installer
Windows XP/Vista Japanese & English and Mac OSX
Manual for the above in 7 Languages

Links to 9 National/regional Sony sites
USA Product registration link.

Travis Binkle October 31st, 2007 11:04 PM

I get an error when I click that link.

Is it still up?

Note: figured it out, thanks!

Craig Seeman October 31st, 2007 11:15 PM

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1193315622075

The previous link seems truncated.

This works for me.

Brian Cassar November 1st, 2007 04:28 AM

I've read the whole manual and there is 1 thing that is worrying me:

On page 34:

"...Recording cannot be restarted after you stop recording until the ACCESS lamp lights in green..."

I tend to do quick takes in event videos - Stopping and starting recording almost immediately. With DVCAM tape I had to give that 1-2 seconds time gap to be able to to this. With SxS will it take longer or shorter? Does the camera take long to conclude writing to the card once the recording has been stopped? Can the ones who have already used it enlighten us please?

Piotr Wozniacki November 1st, 2007 04:59 AM

I've read the manual as well, and there is more than one thing that dismays... Like not limit to AGC, no limit to iris closing in auto exposure, only 6 Picture Profiles in camera memory without external storage/loading... In SP, no mention of 25(30)PSF within the 50(60)i streams... Strange shutter speeds (what happened to 1/25th? - unless 1/25th with 25p is simply shutter off)

Correction: Actually, the AGC limit is there (and much more...) - in the all new Total Level Control System!

Correction 2: Yes, you can store all camera settings to the SxS card - so in each setting, you can have a different set of 6 PPs, I suppose!

Piotr Wozniacki November 1st, 2007 05:57 AM

For those having i.LINK disk drives: in the OTHER menu you can configure the camera's Start/Stop recording button to operate on SxS only, both, or i.LINK device only - very nice, I'm gonna use my DR60 in SP mode for as long as 32GB SxS cards are too expensive to be a practical alternative (of course, I'm counting on the PQ of the EX1 being superior to my V1E HDV PQ even in the former's SP mode).

The caveat being there is no 25(50)PsF mode vaialable within 50(60)i HDV streams, which is strange as the 24PsF mode (with pulldown) is there!

Terry Nixon November 1st, 2007 11:12 AM

Use the following link to download Zipped PDF copies of the Operations Manual in English and other languages:
http://www.sonybiz.net/res/attachmen...3315621810.zip
Open the EX CD-ROM FINAL folder
Open Clip browser files folder
Open PMW-EX1 folder
Open 3280015111, the second PDF file from the top, to open the English Operations Manual for the PMW-EX1

Paul Joy November 1st, 2007 04:51 PM

I've been working my way through the manual tonight too and so just noticed the following.

"No audio recording is made if the recording frame rate is different from the playback frame rate".

I don't know if this is typical amongst cameras that can over/under crank but it would probably make me think twice about using it. I guess if you wanted slow sound too you'd have to shot another take at normal speed and slow down the audio in post.

Paul.

John Hewat November 1st, 2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 768301)
The caveat being there is no 25(50)PsF mode vaialable within 50(60)i HDV streams, which is strange as the 24PsF mode (with pulldown) is there!

But there is a plain 25p mode, right?

Craig Seeman November 1st, 2007 07:46 PM

720p60 will have audio. I think they're referring to those odd frame rates as per "recording frame rate is different from the playback frame rate."

So can you record at 4fps and set playback to 4fps? That's a question.

BTW see page 60 of the manual for more details and an example to clarify.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 768606)
I've been working my way through the manual tonight too and so just noticed the following.

"No audio recording is made if the recording frame rate is different from the playback frame rate".

I don't know if this is typical amongst cameras that can over/under crank but it would probably make me think twice about using it. I guess if you wanted slow sound too you'd have to shot another take at normal speed and slow down the audio in post.

Paul.

Piotr Wozniacki November 2nd, 2007 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat (Post 768683)
But there is a plain 25p mode, right?

Yes of course in HQ: 1920x1080/25p and 1280x720/25p.

Paul Joy November 2nd, 2007 04:45 AM

Yes, but then there will be a load of messing around re conforming the video later. I'm assuming that by setting the playback speed they simply mean choosing a shooting mode such as 720/24 or 720/25 etc. The Fast / Slow motion sounds like it still records using that format but handles the speed in camera. So for instance if I'm shooting 720/25 footage and decide I want some slowmo material, I'd set the capture speed to 50fps and the result would be standard 720/25 material on the cards, but showing footage running at half speed.

That's ideal, but if it drops the sound in the process and you really want to hear that water landing in the glass, or a golfers club as it hits the ball etc then as you say, it may just be better to shoot in 720/60 and deal with slowing it in post, at least you have some audio that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 768690)
720p60 will have audio. I think they're referring to those odd frame rates as per "recording frame rate is different from the playback frame rate."

Craig Seeman November 2nd, 2007 07:48 AM

The odd thought on this is the implication of the wording in the manual. It doesn't flately say there is no audio at the "overcrank/undercrank" frame rates. It says no audio if the playback rate is different than the frame rate.

Does this mean one might shoot at 48fps and playback at 48fps, thus making the frame rate match? Maybe the manual is just being overly wordy and there's simply no audio if using overcrank/undercrank frame rates (excluding 60p)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 768690)

Greg Boston November 2nd, 2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 768930)
The odd thought on this is the implication of the wording in the manual. It doesn't flately say there is no audio at the "overcrank/undercrank" frame rates. It says no audio if the playback rate is different than the frame rate.

Does this mean one might shoot at 48fps and playback at 48fps, thus making the frame rate match? Maybe the manual is just being overly wordy and there's simply no audio if using overcrank/undercrank frame rates (excluding 60p)

You don't get 'variable' playback rates. You get variable frame recording rates. Playback will be at one of the standard rates and will not record sound. The sound is useless in over/under cranking because what's happening in real time is not going to be played back that way.

As for the manual, if the playback rate is different from the frame rate, that means you are over or under cranking so in essence, it does say no audio for over/under cranking.

-gb-

Barry Green November 3rd, 2007 05:50 PM

Right -- if it's like the HVX, the playback rates will be 24, 25, 30, 50 or 60. If you set your recording rate to be the same as your playback rate (i.e., shooting 1080/24p at 24fps) then it'll record audio, and your footage will play back in "real time." If you set your recording rate different from your playback rate (i.e., set a playback rate of 720/30p and a recording rate of 36fps) then no audio will be recorded, and the footage will play back in slow motion (or, for 720/30p at 6fps, it'll play back in fast motion). Audio is only recorded in "real time" frame rates.

At least, that's how the HVX/HPX work, and the description here sounds like the EX1 probably does it the exact same way.

Craig Seeman November 3rd, 2007 07:14 PM

Makes sense. I just find the wording in the manual a bit odd. Not uncommon in Sony manuals in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green (Post 769750)
Right -- if it's like the HVX, the playback rates will be 24, 25, 30, 50 or 60. If you set your recording rate to be the same as your playback rate (i.e., shooting 1080/24p at 24fps) then it'll record audio, and your footage will play back in "real time." If you set your recording rate different from your playback rate (i.e., set a playback rate of 720/30p and a recording rate of 36fps) then no audio will be recorded, and the footage will play back in slow motion (or, for 720/30p at 6fps, it'll play back in fast motion). Audio is only recorded in "real time" frame rates.

At least, that's how the HVX/HPX work, and the description here sounds like the EX1 probably does it the exact same way.

Piotr Wozniacki November 8th, 2007 04:23 PM

One thing really disappoints, though: you can only store one camera settings file per card! This makes 12 PPs available - with 2 cards, you can store different settings files to each, and load the one you need.

Piotr Wozniacki November 8th, 2007 06:17 PM

I have one question that worries me a bit: suppose I want to shoot continuously for hours; I fill up one card, the camera switches automatically to the other. I eject the first card and off-load it on the laptop; then reinsert it again so that when the second card is full, the camera can continue recording to the first card...

OK, but what do I do to tell the camera it actually can record on the off-loaded card? Is deleting clips in the browser enough, or does a card have to be formatted by camera before recording can start?

John Hewat November 8th, 2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 772494)
Is deleting clips in the browser enough, or does a card have to be formatted by camera before recording can start?

That's the very question I asked the Sony people at the Roadshow. They told me that deleting the clips from the card using the Clip Browsing Software would be enough - the card would not need re-formatting.

However, the guy I asked had to ask another guy for the answer so I am assuming it will work, however can not be certain...

James Huenergardt November 8th, 2007 07:16 PM

Yes, deleting the clips is the best option as if you format every time, you will erase your settings folder on the SxS card.

With the EX1, you can save your settings to a folder on the SxS card, and then upload them again, or upload them to an additional EX1 to match cameras.

This is what I was told by Jody Eldred said he did when shooting the demo footage we saw at HD Expo.

Graham Bernard November 9th, 2007 02:08 AM

What provision is there for some form of cabled LANC control? I'm reading the manual I must have missed this?

Graham Bernard November 9th, 2007 03:02 AM

OK . . got it. Read further here on the provision of adaptors to the lens controller. So, no LANC connector BUT adaptor to the LANC devices. Correct?

Grazie

Piotr Wozniacki November 9th, 2007 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 772642)
OK . . got it. Read further here on the provision of adaptors to the lens controller. So, no LANC connector BUT adaptor to the LANC devices. Correct?

Grazie

Well, not quite... We've been hoping, speculating and wishfull-thinking it'd also accomodate LANC, but so far only an adaptor to the Fujinon 8-pin controller is confirmed (Manfrotto for instance will provide their own adaptor along with the new 8-pin controller).

Piotr Wozniacki November 20th, 2007 04:27 AM

As to handling dark tones: I'm accustomed to the "Black compensation / Stretch / Compress" terminology. Just wanted to make sure with the higher-end pro gurus; how does it translate to the "Black" , "Low Key Saturation" and "Black gamma" settings of the EX1? I take it "Black" is just the master pedestal, and "Black gamma" corresponds to "Black compensation" on the V1E, with the "+" values stretching, and the "-" values compressing dark tones; am I right? (the Low Key Sat being self-explanatory, and not having a counterpart on the V1).

Also, with regard to gamma curves: the manual doesn't offer a picture to compare them at all; the 4 cine gamma curves are depicted in the pdf brochure, but not the standard ones STD1-4. Can someone point me to where I could see all 8 of them graphically compared?