DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Best microphone for PMW-EX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/107433-best-microphone-pmw-ex1.html)

Alessandro Zumstein November 7th, 2007 01:28 PM

Best microphone for PMW-EX1?

Hello, i can't choosea microphone for my future ex1. I think about the MKH416 from Sennheiser but this masterpiece have not a lowcut filter. Are there separate lowcut filter for this microphone (small size, not a mixer)? Or the PMW-EX1 has one built in?

Alessandro Zumstein

Beatrice Eldon November 8th, 2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Zumstein (Post 771762)
Hello, i can't choosea microphone for my future ex1. I think about the MKH416 from Sennheiser but this masterpiece have not a lowcut filter. Are there separate lowcut filter for this microphone (small size, not a mixer)? Or the PMW-EX1 has one built in?

Alessandro Zumstein

What about the mic which comes with the Sony PDW-530P ? It's had some very good reviews.

Stelios Christofides November 12th, 2007 07:33 AM

Why don't you wait and test the built-in microphone that comes with the camera?

Stelios

Alessandro Zumstein November 12th, 2007 09:21 AM

Best microphone for the EX1

Because the built in microphone of the ex1 is not a directional shotgun microphone but a stereo omnidirectional microphone.

Alessandro Zumstein

Justin Benn November 12th, 2007 09:28 AM

Why not choose according to task not camera?

I don't understand how your choice of camera affects what microphone you want to buy. Please explain.

Justin.

Steven Thomas November 12th, 2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Zumstein (Post 774153)
Because the built in microphone of the ex1 is not a directional shotgun microphone but a stereo omnidirectional microphone.

Alessandro Zumstein

Ominidirectional.
Enough said there. LOL
The last thing I want is a recording of me swearing behind the camera. LOL

Alessandro Zumstein November 12th, 2007 01:04 PM

Find the best solution

Hello users, i have no longer problems with chosing the ideal mikrophone.
Mi final chose, go to the Neumann KMR-81, this amazing high-end piece have a low cut fileter built in and a "limiter" switch. The price is a little higher than expected because "it's neumann".

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...id=kmr81i_data

Alessandro Zumstein

Jiri Bakala November 12th, 2007 06:32 PM

I would be looking at a good stereo shotgun. There are a few available, in the $600-1,400 range at B&H. Here are a few examples...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Shotgun.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ICROPHONE.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Shotgun.html

Evan Donn November 12th, 2007 07:33 PM

I'm curious what the advantage would be to a stereo shotgun? It would seem to be at cross-purposes to itself, in that a shotgun is supposed to be focused in a single direction and yet it somehow would also have to provide enough separation between the channels to sound different than a mono mic on two channels. Where would you use something like that?

Michael Rehfield November 12th, 2007 08:39 PM

Sennheiser ME66

I've used the Sennheiser ME66 for years, first on my PD150, then the HVX200, and soon, perhaps, on the the EX1. It suits my needs fine, and I can't imagine that the near $1000 price difference for the Sennheiser 416 is worth it for camera-mounted run-and-gun type work.

B&H has a great package deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oid_Short.html

Justin Benn November 12th, 2007 08:43 PM

M + S

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Donn (Post 774461)
I'm curious what the advantage would be to a stereo shotgun? It would seem to be at cross-purposes to itself, in that a shotgun is supposed to be focused in a single direction and yet it somehow would also have to provide enough separation between the channels to sound different than a mono mic on two channels. Where would you use something like that?

Well, I know there are circumstances when an M + S pair would be ideal on a mic - in addition to the directional mic (see Sennheiser's MKH 418 S), eg. for factual programming such as natural history or carefully controlled settings. Otherwise, I would be tempted to go for a directional shotgun mic and record additional tracks separately.

Of course, the choice of a PWM EX1 from Sony has absolutely NO bearing on this choice of mic, over and above the choice of any other camera.

Jiri Bakala November 12th, 2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Some of these (if not all) have the ability to be switched between stereo and mono. Stereo is important for natural history programming or stock footage and a good quality mike like one of the ones I listed would certainly beat in quality the built-in microphone. If a directionality is required, it's a simple matter of switching that option on. A stereo mike is simply more versatile and if I get the EX1, that would be my choice.

Piotr Wozniacki November 13th, 2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala (Post 774502)
Some of these (if not all) have the ability to be switched between stereo and mono. Stereo is important for natural history programming or stock footage and a good quality mike like one of the ones I listed would certainly beat in quality the built-in microphone. If a directionality is required, it's a simple matter of switching that option on. A stereo mike is simply more versatile and if I get the EX1, that would be my choice.

I can confirm the M+S shotguns can be very useful; I have one (Edirol CS-50) to use almost exclusively on my V1E, but this camera hasn't got its own mic, so having both mono and stereo choice makes more sense. For the EX1, I'm buing a mono shotgun - the ECM-673 or above are good enough for general purpose use.

Michael Mann November 13th, 2007 02:53 AM

I can second that, too. I have been using the Sennheiser MKH 418 (M-S-Stereo) for quite a while on my Canon A1. You always have all choices in post. If you should need only pristine mono (e.g. for dialouge), just drop the side channel in post, and you get a Sennheiser 416-quality sound.

Stelios Christofides November 13th, 2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Zumstein (Post 774153)

Alessandro Zumstein

Are you sure Alessandro?

Stelios

Bob Grant November 13th, 2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Because these kinds of mics are superior in Narrow / Mono. They use a phased array of capsules and give superior side rejection. This is important if you use the same mic indoors, more so in small rooms. You can buy a similar mic that's mono only such as the Sanken CS3.

Alessandro Zumstein November 13th, 2007 04:39 PM

Best microphone

Yes, why?

The microphone Neumann KMR-81iMT, is expensive for this kamera, i now.

Gary Pillon November 15th, 2007 10:38 AM

Microphone for PMW-EX1

Take a look at the Sanken CMS-10 stereo shotgun. I reviewed it a long time ago for Michigan Vue magazine, and was getting usable dialog 6 feet from the microphone outdoors. Its shockmount was made to fit in the camera mount, and all you need is a Lightwave windscreen to finish the package. Remember, the EX1 is one of only 2 cameras in this form factor that have real PCM audio...take advantage of it. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

Piotr Wozniacki November 17th, 2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Pillon (Post 775952)
Remember, the EX1 is one of only 2 cameras in this form factor that have real PCM audio...take advantage of it.

Very true, but my personal plan is to take advantage of the uncompressed hi-fi audio of the EX1 only when it's really worth it, e.g. for shooting music performances of which I'm planning quite a few. But for this, I'm gonna either use decent a pair of high-end mono mics in the X-Y configuration, or "borrow" the ready mixed sound from a sound crew via the line inputs.

For run&gun situations with on-camera mic, the on-boad stereo or a decent (not necessarily top class) mono shutgun, plus of course the wireless, are more appropriate IMHO. I wouldn't feel safe using a shutgun worth the price of another camera in scenarios like this. A sticking out shotgun is probably the most damage-prone component of the setup...Not to mention the fact it could be stolen easily when unattended.

BTW I'd appreciate a recommendation on the best mirophone(s) to use for recording stereo music in the X-Y config... Bob? :)

Luis Figueroa November 17th, 2007 01:25 PM

Schoeps alternative

I suggest folks look at this other alternative:

Schoeps CMIT5U Professional Condenser Shotgun
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

Terrific mic, especially in windy and other noisy conditions often dealt with in documentary production. Google the reviews.

One negative is that it attracts too much attention as some sort of Darth Vader sword lookalike.

L

Dave Nystul November 18th, 2007 06:45 PM

We recently purchased the Sanken CS-1. I have used it when shooting with our 900R and have no reason to believe it wouldn't make a great nat. mic for smaller cameras as well. At just over 7" in length, it is compact and sits on a camera very nicely. Also, when indoors I will pop it off the camera and onto a boom pole for intervews. Our editors love the performance of this mic., especially when you consider the price, just 795.00 with shock mount.

Thierry Humeau November 20th, 2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Nystul (Post 777690)
We recently purchased the Sanken CS-1. I have used it when shooting with our 900R and have no reason to believe it wouldn't make a great nat. mic for smaller cameras as well. At just over 7" in length, it is compact and sits on a camera very nicely. Also, when indoors I will pop it off the camera and onto a boom pole for intervews. Our editors love the performance of this mic., especially when you consider the price, just 795.00 with shock mount.

Yes, this is an excellent mic for this camera. Also, for someone looking for a less expensive alternative, Audio Technica has a new short shutgun out. Model AT875R is 6.9" long, has phantom power and lists for only $259 ($199 at BH).

Thierry.

Paul Cronin November 20th, 2007 10:09 AM

I have had great audio from my Audio Technica 897 on my Sony Z1 and Canon A1. I think I will give it a go on the EX1 when it arrives.

Zan Shin March 5th, 2008 09:57 PM

My ignorance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Benn (Post 774156)
I don't understand how your choice of camera affects what microphone you want to buy. Please explain.

Justin.

Dear sir,

Maybe microphone performance on particular camera in review differs because other audio capabilities Sony provided, also, balance perhaps with handhold? EX is not simple operating camera for handhold shooting. Different long or short microphone size maybe gives or looses shooting balance?

With respect,

Bruce Rawlings March 6th, 2008 02:43 AM

If you are serious about sound don't even think of the internal mic. All internal mics whatever the make of camera are useless for anything other than background actuality. THe EX1 deserves a good mic to get the best out of it.

Michael H. Stevens March 6th, 2008 10:18 AM

If you test it, you will also see the internal mic picks up a lot of noise. I was surprised just how noisy it is. You do not have to pay a fortune for a reasonable mic. I got the $300 AT897 Kit - Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone. I keep it on one channel and the internal on the other for background/ambiance/backup.

Don Greening March 16th, 2008 01:22 AM

Whatever you do don't buy the Audio Technica AT4073A mic for the EX1. I did and have had nothing but problems with this combo. The official word from Sony is that there are serious grounding issues between this particular AT model and the EX1. Of course I can't return it now because my broadcast supplier says that it's an EX1 problem and not the fault of the mic.

Be aware that this issue is restricted the the AT4073A model ONLY and not the entire Audio Technica line of shotguns. Other mics work fine on the EX1 and the AT4073A mic works fine on other cameras. It's actually an awsome mic for the money. Guess I'll use it on my PD170 from now on.

- Don

Craig Seeman March 16th, 2008 10:22 AM

Keep in mind that Sony offers rebates on its shotgun Mics if you buy one within 30 days of buying the EX1.

I bought the ECM-680s and got a $150 rebate. It's a great stereo shotgun (if one misses the internal stereo mic) which has a mono switch as well with very good side rejection. You'd need a 5 pin to 3 pin XLR adaptor for it though.

Alex Kanakis March 16th, 2008 08:45 PM

Another take on the the AT4073A

I use the Audio Technica AT4073A with the EX1 and love it...No problems with grounding.

Don Greening March 16th, 2008 11:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback Alex. I'll be sure to mention this when I talk to my EX1 supplier on Tuesday. I'm getting a crackling, static-type problem even when I wiggle the XLR cable between the mic and camera. Trying a different cable didn't solve it. Adjusting the EX's mic sensitivity setting didn't change anything either. And of course the recorded audio has a certain amount of static noise but it's not consistent.

I tried an ME66 for comparison and it was rock solid.

- Don

Joshua Fleetwood March 18th, 2008 02:52 PM

The Røde nt4

I use the Røde Nt4 for concerts on the ex1 (with a shockmount) it is an instant XY. Goes for cheap online (Like $450) and sounds wonderful. Really captures the room and the music.

It can really handle the high Db/spl of a music venue without distortion. The capsules sound AMAZING and it can run off of an internal 9V battery or +48.

My .02
-Josh

Justin Benn March 18th, 2008 06:32 PM

Ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zan Shin (Post 838067)
Dear sir,

Maybe microphone performance on particular camera in review differs because other audio capabilities Sony provided, also, balance perhaps with handhold? EX is not simple operating camera for handhold shooting. Different long or short microphone size maybe gives or looses shooting balance?

With respect,

I'll concede that the ability of the EX1 to record uncompressed PCM (16 bits) is a a good reason to re-think the sound you capture. Aside from that, get the best one you can for the job in hand. Schoeps would be my choice, followed by Sanken. I think the original poster went for a Neumann mic which is anything but compact. Perhaps balance was not his concern.

Don Greening March 19th, 2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Greening (Post 843664)
I tried an ME66 for comparison and it was rock solid.

- Don

We did another test yesterday down at the broadcast supply house I deal with and the Senn ME66 exhibited the exact same symptoms as my Audio Technica mic, so it's a camera issue and not a mic issue. Their suggestion is to advise Sony and take it in for testing and repair.

- Don

Chip Curry March 20th, 2008 06:13 PM

How are you all mounting them

Is anyone putting these mics into the on-camera mic mount? I saw one picture of someone who removed the camera mount and bolted on their own shock mount. Are you mounting them on the top? I guess some fit the camera mount and some don't. Any comments?

Ian Smith March 20th, 2008 06:47 PM

My supplier recommended a Sennheiser K6/ME66. I'm more than happy with the sound quality but initially it arrived without any kind of PMW-EX1 adapter and was so loose it was unusable on the camera. They then supplied a plastic ring that goes between the mic and the Sony mount and makes it rock solid when camera mounted.

However with the wind shield on I've got caught out several times when using the PMW-EX1 at its wider settings - the wind shield shows up in the top right hand corner of the frame. The whole thing feels like one heck of a kludge to be honest.

Don Greening March 20th, 2008 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm using this on my EX.

The picture entitled "ksm3.jpg" is the model I actually have. The picture "kbwc8.jpg" shows the screw on adapter that mounts in the stock camera mic holder, which I'm also using.

http://www.mklemme.com/

- Don

Bob Grant March 20th, 2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip Curry (Post 845892)
Is anyone putting these mics into the on-camera mic mount? I saw one picture of someone who removed the camera mount and bolted on their own shock mount. Are you mounting them on the top? I guess some fit the camera mount and some don't. Any comments?

The standard mic mount breaks way too easy.
I've made my own:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....80&postcount=6

When I get some time I'm making a number of the brackets and I'll get them black anodised.