DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 shortages (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/107959-ex1-shortages.html)

Alan Waters November 14th, 2007 12:45 PM

EX1 shortages

Tried to Order the Ex1 today from a UK dealer and was told Sony had told them that they would not be getting as many units as previously stated.

Looks like a real backlog to be sorted and won't hold my breath on one this year.

Jamie Allan November 15th, 2007 06:17 AM

There's other UK dealers who will have stock, if you want details send me an email via this forum mate

Phil Bloom November 15th, 2007 06:08 PM

My dealer says it looks like it won't be out this week after all...

Christopher Witz November 15th, 2007 08:12 PM

so it goes for me.... I placed my deposit Oct 19th.

"Chris,

We are expecting the shipment from sony the week after thanksgiving (November 26th). At this point I am not sure how many of the XDCAM's we will be receiving so I cannot guarantee that you will be able to receive yours at that point, however I can tell you that they are being allocated on a first come, first serve basis you are closer to the begining of the list. I will keep you updated as more information comes to us.

Thanks!

Stevie-Lynn Evelly
Abel Cine Tech"

Piotr Wozniacki November 16th, 2007 02:43 AM

My UK supplier now says we have to wait at least 10 days now, and I'm also on top of his list - what's going on? Looks like a serious delay :)

Jamie Allan November 16th, 2007 04:21 AM

Remember that its being made in the pro broadcast factory where they take alot more care and time over stuff in comparison to the consumer line where the HVR range is produced.

Piotr Wozniacki November 16th, 2007 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Allan (Post 776427)
Remember that its being made in the pro broadcast factory where they take alot more care and time over stuff in comparison to the consumer line where the HVR range is produced.

I wish you were right in this :)

Alan Waters November 16th, 2007 04:45 AM

Thanks for the offer Jamie but have tried most of the UK dealers and they say the same as above.

It's a sleeping blanket and wait it out scenario now.

Alex Leith November 16th, 2007 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 776430)

Ha! Ha! It's true... I've had more faulty "broadcast" and "professional" equipment that I've ever had with consumer gadgets...

More to go wrong I guess. Either that or I'm a fussy *****!

Michael Mann November 16th, 2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Leith (Post 776437)
I've had more faulty "broadcast" and "professional" equipment that I've ever had with consumer gadgets...

The same experience here. I never had problems with consumer gear, what I really can't say that about my "broadcast" equipment.

Jamie Allan November 16th, 2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 776430)

They're constructed by ancient gods high in the Sony mountains who's engineering skills are blessed by every known God, and some that Sony made up.

Well, thats what the engineers say at least ;)

Piotr Wozniacki November 16th, 2007 05:42 AM

Yeah, well... I've had and used Sony equipment for over 30 years now, of which only one (the V1E) is considered pro(summer?) - TVs, home theaters, Hi-Fi, cameras, VCRs, VTRs; you name it! And the only one that ever had to be sent for servicing (more precisely, firmware update) has been -

- guess what! :)

Too high expectations? But hey, this is what "professional" is about!

And to be fair: one of the reasons I'd chosen the V1 over the Canon A1 has been it really felt more professional compared to the cheapish Canon, which simply fell apart in my (caring) hand.

Bob Grant November 16th, 2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Waters (Post 775386)
Tried to Order the Ex1 today from a UK dealer and was told Sony had told them that they would not be getting as many units as previously stated.

Looks like a real backlog to be sorted and won't hold my breath on one this year.

I heard much the same story down here today. If you didn't make it in this shipment you are looking at next year.

John Hewat November 16th, 2007 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 776448)
I heard much the same story down here today. If you didn't make it in this shipment you are looking next year.

I was assured I would be in the first shipment so I sure hope they're right.

I also wonder how this will affect the "bonus" 8GB card. Apparently that was only with the first shipment, right?

Craig Seeman November 16th, 2007 06:14 AM

Bonus 8GB card runs until end of March I believe.

BTW Sandisk cards should be cheaper than Sony. I won't say who said it because I don't want to get person in trouble.

I mentioned in another post that, with firmware upgrade, EX1 will also take much less expensive cards (which Sony will apparently certify). I understand the "hit" will be in the transfer speed (cheaper cards will not be close to 10x real time transfer on 34 port).

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat (Post 776456)
I was assured I would be in the first shipment so I sure hope they're right.

I also wonder how this will affect the "bonus" 8GB card. Apparently that was only with the first shipment, right?