DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Vignette problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/108433-vignette-problem.html)

Graeme Fullick January 17th, 2008 10:02 PM

Correct Andrew.

Tom Hardwick January 18th, 2008 02:20 AM

Just to update me guys, how far does this lens hold f/1.9 - or is it ramping gently as soon as you move away from full wide-angle?

Graeme Fullick January 18th, 2008 02:56 AM

Tom,

Holds F1.9 all the way to full telephoto.

Eric Pascarelli January 18th, 2008 05:43 AM

Check out this thread I started a while ago - I think that, despite screen indications to the contrary, the lens ramps at least to a T2.8, if not an actual f/2.8.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=109754

John Hewat January 18th, 2008 05:32 PM

Any word on the situation in Australia?

I've been awaiting Danny's return call since late December and have heard nothing.

He assured me that he'd call when he knew.

Serena, Vaughan, have you heard anything?

Serena Steuart January 18th, 2008 11:51 PM

Nothing yet.

Bob Grant January 19th, 2008 12:45 AM

Sent two EX1s back to Sony in Sydney via our dealer on Thursday. Picked the two up from our dealer plus an extra new one yesterday. Checked the work one and it's still not perfect, the vignetting is visible when the camera is static. Didn't get to try the new one. Sony had unpacked this one, they'd packed it back upside down and forgot the extra card.
Just checked my own EX1. It's pretty much gone when the camera is static but now if the OIS kicks in I can get it in the top LH or RH side depending on which way the OIS is moving the image.

Tried to do some other quick and dirty tests, don't really have the space etc at home. Zoom tracking looks OK. Racking focus seems to cause the image to shift sideways. I think I should go over the camera using a big monitor with a centre crosshair, the square marker that the camera provides makes it a bit hit and miss.

I know I bought a $10K camera not a $40K prime but what's acceptable at this kind of price point?

Graeme Fullick January 19th, 2008 05:07 PM

Mine is fixed perfectly. I received a new one from Sony Japan, but it still had the problems top right and left, despite assurances that it was checked at the factory. Rather than try for another new camera, I sent it to Sony Australia in Sydney (who have the equipment to fix it) - and they returned it with the lens correctly aligned.

For those in Australia - I suggest the you contact Sony directly. Their tech support are aware of the problem, and have the equipment and expertise to fix it. I dealt with Anthony Kable (98870422) who was really excellent.

Bob Berg January 19th, 2008 09:33 PM

Disappointing, at best

I got my EX1 back from Sony a few days ago and got to test it today. At first, I didn't know whether I was still seeing the problem, but having tried it against a more consistently lit background, it's very much improved. I have one corner that darkens ever so slightly (you have to really look for it) at full wide, but for the rest of the zoom travel from about 7MM up, and through the former 10MM-40MM problem range, things are good. Much better than before.

The test I did with the OIS, though, is a different story. It's pretty much useless, not that I would be inclined to use it anyway. Even after the software patch, when SteadyShot is on the corners and some of the sides will darken and smear if you move the camera around on a monotone surface.

One other note: if you have to send a camera back, keep ALL THE RUBBER covers! Sony didn't return my SDI port cover! *grrr*

Paul Joy January 20th, 2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Berg (Post 811071)
Even after the software patch, when SteadyShot is on the corners and some of the sides will darken and smear if you move the camera around on a monotone surface.

Which software patch are you referring too?

regards

Paul

Piotr Wozniacki February 7th, 2008 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone noticed how the ND filter mechanism may stay in an in-between position, or how it opens/closes? I wonder if the "optical path alignment" wasn't in fact ND filter mechanism adjustment... My lens never shows any trace of vignetting as described by early adopters, but here is what I spotted today:

Paul Joy February 7th, 2008 04:08 PM

OMG! It's the mother of all vignettes returned with a vengeance!!!! ;)

Eric Pascarelli February 7th, 2008 04:11 PM

Imagine if Vin Diesel was that big in frame.

Steven Thomas February 7th, 2008 04:17 PM

Wow Piotr, you're "bad luck to a hunting dog!"

Does this happen everytime you use your ND filters?

I've never seen this...

Sami Sanpakkila February 7th, 2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 822106)
Has anyone noticed how the ND filter mechanism may stay in an in-between position, or how it opens/closes? I wonder if the "optical path alignment" wasn't in fact ND filter mechanism adjustment... My lens never shows any trace of vignetting as described by early adopters, but here is what I spotted today:

Ive seen this happen on my camera once, but you just flick the ND off/on and its gone. It stays in between the modes and i think that causes it as Piotr says. I sure was afraid that now its broken when it happened!