DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   xdcam and Apple FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/108751-xdcam-apple-fcp.html)

Jan Boersma November 25th, 2007 05:02 AM

xdcam and Apple FCP

Can anyone confirm that FCP 5/6 works properly with xdcam-ex?
Downloaded Sony's Xdcam transfer 2.1 and as of yet have been unable to
get footage into FCP and the transfer program itself.
Can view the footage in the clip browser though, and also VLC.

Paul Joy November 25th, 2007 08:03 AM

It works fine with FCP6, no problems at all.

Paul.

Craig Seeman November 25th, 2007 08:55 AM

My situation is same as Jan's. Something about the MP4s people have uploaded from the EX1 are NOT working with any of us FCP 6.0.2 users. Works in Clip Browser but will not import into FCP 6.0.2 with xfer 2.1

Gary Gowman November 25th, 2007 09:07 PM

Paul, please explain what you are doing to actually get it to work on your FCP system so it can help other people in the community? We all are probably using the same downloaded files for this test since there has not been much footage from this camera posted as of date. I also assume we all are using the latest FCP version.

Gary

Chris Forbes November 25th, 2007 10:31 PM

I was also unable to use any of the stuff posted before on this website. But I got the camera and now it works like champ.

I am using XDcam Transfer 2.1 and FCP 6.0.2

I will post a disk image of an actual card so you can mount it and play with the transfer software.

Greg Boston November 25th, 2007 11:23 PM

Just know that XDCAM Transfer 2.1 is NOT compatible with Leopard. Don't know if this is why some are having success while others are not.

-gb-

Craig Seeman November 25th, 2007 11:36 PM

I've tried importing the uploaded files on my Tiger 10.4.11, FCP6.0.2 with xfer 2.1 and still can't get it to work.

The reason why this is important is that some of us may actually have to hand off files to an editor and we really need to know what to do to properly package the files. Apparently the MP4s with ClipBrowser is not sufficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 781835)
Just know that XDCAM Transfer 2.1 is NOT compatible with Leopard. Don't know if this is why some are having success while others are not.

-gb-

Chris Forbes November 25th, 2007 11:55 PM

Alright

www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/BPAV.zip

Download file
Unzip file to desktop
Launch Xdcam Transfer 2.1
Click Add button lower left hand corner
Browse to the desktop (it will not allow you to select the BAV folder. That is fine)
Add desktop
The Transfer program should scan for and add the clip.

Mess with the settings. Sometimes I have to add an in point to the front of a clip before it will import.

It is a 15 sec clip of me with a backfocus chart and a colorchip chart.

This is a good example of the Auto focus. I had it on autofocus with peaking on and I waited to flip the chart until I saw the peaking go on and stay solid.

Craig Seeman November 26th, 2007 12:31 AM

It WORKED! Thanks Chris!

After unzipping I opened FCP 6.0.2 on my Dual 2.3G5. Opened Import/XDCAM and used ADD to point to the desktop. It showed that Desktop had 1 clip. I was able to import that 1 clip without issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Forbes (Post 781851)
Alright

Download file
Unzip file to desktop
Browse to the desktop (it will not allow you to select the BAV folder. That is fine)
Add desktop

Mess with the settings. Sometimes I have to add an in point to the front of a clip before it will import.

This is a good example of the Auto focus. I had it on autofocus with peaking on and I waited to flip the chart until I saw the peaking go on and stay solid.

Chris Forbes November 26th, 2007 12:39 AM

I went back to the clips that I had downloaded and I still couldn't figure them out.

Winston Ashley November 26th, 2007 12:41 AM

Thanks for the download. I tried a couple of things with it.

it worked in my EX Clip Browser but the XDCAM transfer still can't read the BPAV folder.

Maybe b/c I still have FCP 5.1.4. Guess I need to upgrade!

I'm getting an EX hopefully this week. More to come then.

Running Macbook Pro 2.2 with Tiger

Chris Forbes November 26th, 2007 12:49 AM

Yes, sorry I've heard EX1 is for 6.0.2 and up only.

Daniel Boswell November 26th, 2007 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Forbes (Post 781851)
Alright

Download file
Unzip file to desktop
Add desktop

Thanks Chris, worked perfectly!

Andreas Johansson November 26th, 2007 02:18 AM

I made a similar zip file as Chris. It has all formats but one since one 24p format didn't want to work in frame rec mode.

Its for testing the browser software and has the complete card structure also.

ex.bolanski.com

Simon Wyndham November 26th, 2007 03:51 AM

Quote:

Just know that XDCAM Transfer 2.1 is NOT compatible with Leopard.
I've tried it on Leopard and it works fine. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is that XDCAM devices don't appear on the desktop.

The issue here is that for some reason with EX footage you can't import MP4's from the EX unless they come straight from the card. Although the guys above seem to have found a workaround.