DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX and HD Networks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/108888-ex-hd-networks.html)

Forrest Burger November 26th, 2007 06:56 PM

EX and HD Networks

I know it's very early on, but is there any talk as to whether the EX will be accepted by the HD networks for 100% content for shows?

Forrest

Steven Thomas November 26th, 2007 07:00 PM

XDCAM HD has been approved by Discovery HD as a full 100 per cent acquisition format (in 35Mbps high-quality mode).

Forrest Burger November 26th, 2007 07:11 PM

Thanks, Steve. I'm aware of that...I'm just curious if they might shun the EX because if its fixed lens and such.

Steven Thomas November 26th, 2007 07:14 PM

That's a good question, but based on a lot of XDCAM users are also considering this cam as a "B" cam, this will help.

Forrest Burger November 26th, 2007 07:24 PM

It'll be interesting to see how things play out. I currently shoot and edit for a SD show that we're considering taking to HD in the future, but since it would likely run on a second tier HD network the budget would be constrained. Therefore the camera purchases would need to be carefully thought through.

Kyle Self November 26th, 2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 782392)
XDCAM HD has been approved by Discovery HD as a full 100 per cent acquisition format (in 35Mbps high-quality mode).

True, but it does have more to do with the actual camera than just the recording format. DVCPro HD is approved for program acquisition at Discovery HD, but the HVX 200 is on a short chain for limited use just like a Z1. The last I knew the 500 wasn't approved for full acquisition either, someone please correct me if I am wrong as the last list I looked at did not include it.

Its a wait and see I don't expect we are going to get an answer before sometime later next year.

K

Steven Thomas November 26th, 2007 07:40 PM

Yes, that is why I mentioned XDCAM users may be picking up the EX1 as a "B" cam. This "may" help "open the door" for the EX1.

Kyle Self November 26th, 2007 08:26 PM

They either will or they won't. I think the biggest issue is not going to be the camera but how they feel about the lens. I don't think there is going to be a problem with the sensors, format, or recording of the images. How much Discovery HD allows the EX to be used is probably going to be dependent on how they feel about the lens. If your read their notes they are pretty picky about the glass used on the cameras.

Its use as a "B" camera is not going to have any effect on whether it is approved for full use. Lots of people use the 200 as a b roll for the varicam but that never helped the 200 get approval for full use.

K

Forrest Burger November 26th, 2007 08:35 PM

Kyle, I think you're right. Discovery HD is strict on the glass that they'll approve. Only time will tell, I guess.

Steven Thomas November 26th, 2007 08:37 PM

I can't disagree with that, although fortunately we're hearing the glass is really good on this cam.

Forrest Burger November 26th, 2007 08:46 PM

Let's just hope it passes and opens up the door for good content to be created by people that can't afford to shoot with HDcam or Varicam.