DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   ExpressCard-to-PCMCIA adapter: does it exist? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110176-expresscard-pcmcia-adapter-does-exist.html)

Malcolm Hamilton December 13th, 2007 02:28 PM

ExpressCard-to-PCMCIA adapter: does it exist?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows if there's such a thing as an ExpressCard reader that connects/converts to the PCMCIA slot in my G4 powerbook...
(this would allow me to dump footage from the SXS cards in the field, without having to buy a new MacBook Pro).
Cheers,
Malcolm

James Huenergardt December 13th, 2007 02:48 PM

There is a Express Card USB reader that should work.

Try Googling "ExpressCard to PCMCIA Adapter"

Malcolm Hamilton December 13th, 2007 03:22 PM

James, thank you, I did google this... but it seems to me that these are all adapters that go the other way. They're for people who have a nice new laptop with an ExpressCard slot, and want to use an old PCMCIa something-or-other.
In my case, I need to somehow attach the SXS card (which wants an ExpressCard slot) to my powerbook, that only has a PCMCIA slot.

Am I missing something obvious on google?
Thanks,
Malcolm

Bill Ravens December 13th, 2007 03:24 PM

Malcolm..

I think you'll have a problem finding one. The problem is that PCMCIA data transfer rates are slower than Expresscard.

Peter Kraft December 13th, 2007 03:38 PM

Duel Adapter

The Duel Adapters might help
Try here: www.duel-systemsadapters.com/

And look here: http://www.pcmcia-adapter.de/?gclid=...FRLyXgodElkipw
They too offer the Duel Craddle as well as the "normal" PCMCIA <> ExpressCard
Adapter which apparently is a two-way device.

And there is another good link: http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/active-...er-p29865.html

Hope this helps

Brent Ethington December 13th, 2007 03:51 PM

I'll add that I have the Duel Systems PCMCIA -> Expresscard product, and it works as advertised (I use it for a PCMCIA AirCard in my MacBook Pro). There is at least one dealer on Duel Systems retailer list that has a 30-day return policy (worst case, less 10%) so might be worth it to try if you need this type of solution

Malcolm Hamilton December 13th, 2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Kraft (Post 791998)
The Duel Adapters might help
Try here: www.duel-systemsadapters.com/

And look here: http://www.pcmcia-adapter.de/?gclid=...FRLyXgodElkipw
They too offer the Duel Craddle as well as the "normal" PCMCIA <> ExpressCard
Adapter which apparently is a two-way device.

And there is another good link: http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/active-...er-p29865.html

Hope this helps

Thanks so much Peter. Indeed, the first one you refer to (DuelAdapter Cradle: ”designed to bring the functional and performance advantages of the latest generation of ExpressCards to computers with PCMCIA slots“) is exactly what I'm talking about.

Brent - - your MCMCIA->ExpressCard unit is the opposite of what I need, but thank you anyway.

And Bill - - I know I'm going to lose some speed. I know that if I was downloading an 8GB SXS card, in the field, to a MacBook Pro with an ExpressCard slot, it would just take a few minutes. I'd love that, but I don't have a MacBook Pro, I have a G4 powerbook with a PCMCIA slot, NOT an ExpressCard slot. Now... if I get this unit Peter has directed me to, I'm hoping I can plug the SXS card into it, plug it into my PCMCIA slot in my powerbook, and download. If it takes ten minutes instead of 3 minutes, I can live with that. Any ideas about how much longer it would take? (if it were to take an hour, I won't pursue this option).
I guess this presumes it will work at all. Any educated guesses? Is there any reason why it wouldn't work?
Am I missing something else? My powerbook is not Intel... does that matter if I'm just using it to store these video files until I get back to my office after the shoot's over?
Again, thanks everyone.
Malcolm

Brent Ethington December 13th, 2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Brent - - your MCMCIA->ExpressCard unit is the opposite of what I need, but thank you anyway.
This was just to imply that their PCMCIA->ExpressCard solution worked well, so the odds of their ExpressCard->PCMCIA solution should work equally as well (hopefully).

Malcolm Hamilton December 13th, 2007 08:04 PM

Thanks Brent - - I'm easily confused (I'd just googled what I wanted and most of what appeared was the reverse of what I'd asked for, which made me wonder about my sanity) so I misunderstood.
Any thoughts on whether what I want to do will work?
In theory, I don't see why it won't. It will be slower... how much slower I wonder.
If no one weighs in on this here on this forum, maybe I could email the company that make this adapter. But I'm hoping that I'm not the only one with a G4 powerbook who wants an EX1, and one of these G4/EXers will know about this.
Regards,
Malcolm

Brent Ethington December 13th, 2007 08:16 PM

Malcolm - Definitely give the company a call. I think you'll find that it will work fine and the speed will be more than sufficient. When I called their support line, they were knowledgeable and ready to help. The card costs about $50 (or less), so there's not much to lose - at least you'll be able to get the files to your G4, after that you're on your own... :-)

Brent

Kit Hannah December 13th, 2007 08:27 PM

I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839328009

or if you can plug in usb, this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812191024

Hope that helps
Kit

Malcolm Hamilton December 13th, 2007 09:18 PM

I really do thank people on this forum for helpingme out... Brent, I will call the company to try to verify what looks like it just might work. And Kit, thank you - - the first one you refer to is also exactly right. I'll check the specs of both, see who ships to where (I think the last time I tried to get newegg to ship to Canada they couldn't or wouldn't).
Cheers everyone,
Malcolm

Brent Ethington December 13th, 2007 09:32 PM

Malcolm - good luck! Just let us know how well (or not) it works... :-)

Malcolm Hamilton December 13th, 2007 09:53 PM

Brent - - I just saw your post to Brad on another thread... ”you can transfer the full source files (whether full 1080, 720, or 1440x1080) to the MBP through the expresscard slot - just pop the SxS card in the expresscard slot, run the Sony Clip Transfer software“... you went on, but my heart stopped right there.
Am I right in thinking that the Sony Clip Transfer software won't work on a non-Intel mac?
In other words, even with this ExpressCard->PCMCIA adapter (that solves my hardware issue), the transfer from SXS card to powerbook won't work, because my powerbook isn't Intel-based.
Is this the case?
Thanks,
Malcolm

Brent Ethington December 13th, 2007 09:58 PM

Malcolm - you don't have to run the Sony software, but it is supposed to recombine clips that are > 2GB in size or that span multiple cards (or so says the documentation). Afraid I have no more knowledge than what the specs say (about the transfer s/w requiring an Intel-based Mac) - sorry

Brent

Malcolm Hamilton December 13th, 2007 10:15 PM

Thanks Brent. I think it's my fate to Never Quite Know. To get close, but to NQK.
But I will pursue this question, regardless. Maybe I'll email Sony.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Peter Kraft December 13th, 2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 792179)
Am I right in thinking that the Sony Clip Transfer software won't work on a non-Intel mac?In other words, even with this ExpressCard->PCMCIA adapter (that solves my hardware issue), the transfer from SXS card to powerbook won't work, because my powerbook isn't Intel-based. Is this the case?

Malcom, reading sometimes really helps ;-)
The Sony Transfer Software is Universal Binary, so it runs on PPC and Intel Macs.

The important point with all these ExpressCard to PMCIA Card adapters is that they only work with USB based Expresscards which I do not know as far as the SxS Cards for the EX1 are concerned. That you have to ask Sony. It all is an interfacing problem. If the SxS Cards are not USB based you will have to buy a MBP.

Hope this helps

Malcolm Hamilton December 14th, 2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Kraft (Post 792222)
It all is an interfacing problem. If the SxS Cards are not USB based you will have to buy a MBP.
Hope this helps

Thanks Peter... that does help, a lot. I will email Sony to ask if their SXS cards are USB based, and then I'll know. I really appreciate this.
(when I find out, I'll re-post; until then I'll give all of you who've been helping me a much-needed break).
Cheers,
Malcolm

Peter Kraft December 15th, 2007 05:53 AM

Malcom,
to make sure what information you require, mail them the following links as well:

Web page of US supplier of ExpressCard > PCMCIA Card Cradle:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839328009

Web page of manufacturer of ExpressCard > PCMCIA Card Cradle:
www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/321

Difference between PCI and USB ExpressCards per definition by the ExpressCard Committee: www.expresscard.org/web/site/about.jsp

Malcolm Hamilton December 15th, 2007 09:35 AM

Thanks again, Peter. I'll include all this information, and re-post here when I hear from them. I appreciate your patience.
Malcolm

Brian Hoodenpyle June 4th, 2008 12:21 AM

DuelAdapter Cradle doesn't work

"The DuelAdapter Cradle™ was designed to work with ExpressCards that use a standard USB 2.0 interface. ExpressCards that have a PCI Express interface (ie. Gig Ethernet, SATA , Firewire, etc.) are not supported. " - from Duel Systems website.

BUT...

"The SxS cards are PCI Express™ solid-state storage media and features about twice as fast data transfer speeds as legacy PC Card interfaces. By connecting directly to computer systems through a high-speed PCI-Express™ bus and with optimized technology protocols for controlling communication between hardware and card, SxS PRO™ achieves rapid data transfer rates of 800 Mbps." - from Sony's website.

I guess we're just going to have to keep looking.