DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony PMW-EX1 vs Panasonic HVX200 shootout footage online (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/111604-sony-pmw-ex1-vs-panasonic-hvx200-shootout-footage-online.html)

Matt Devino January 4th, 2008 12:39 PM

Sony PMW-EX1 vs Panasonic HVX200 shootout footage online

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to give a heads up that we've posted a bunch of footage and stills from a shootout we did over the weekend between these two cameras. It's not all encompassing or completely scientific, we just put both cameras next to each other and pointed them at the same scene, with out of the box presets on both cameras. I think what we got is pretty interesting, so check it out!

Here's the link:

http://www.pairofhands.net/Ex1%20vs%...0Shootout.html

Dennis Schmitz January 4th, 2008 01:27 PM

The Sony EX1 seems to be the same as the Fuji F31fd was for photo.

- superior sharpness
- incredible lowlight
- low noise
- cold colours

:D

regards Dennis

Christopher Barry January 4th, 2008 03:28 PM

Matt, I am downloading now. I read the opening paragraph at you link, and I would like to know exactly what "cinema gamma presets" for the EX1 (Cine 1, 2, 3 or 4) and the HVX (Cine D or V) were applied?

Thanks for posting the shoot out files.

Jack Davis January 4th, 2008 06:21 PM

Matt, I too did a side by side several weeks ago between the 2 cameras and the results were the same as your test. A very amazing camera.

Jason Bodnar January 4th, 2008 06:45 PM

I downloaded the videos, I was wondering why the motion tests were done with shutter speed 1/48 on both cameras. Is that the default? The HDR FX1 has a 1/60 default... When I am shooting motion if possible I like to shoot at 1/500 to 1/1000 unless I am after a little motion blur or there is not enough light. The reason I bring this up is I shoot a lot of action sports and am actually looking for a fast motion shootout between these two cameras but this did not make the comparison I was looking for.

John Hess January 4th, 2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar (Post 802792)
I downloaded the videos, I was wondering why the motion tests were done with shutter speed 1/48 on both cameras. Is that the default? The HDR FX1 has a 1/60 default...

1/48th is the equivalent to 1/60th when shooting in 24p

Jason Bodnar January 4th, 2008 07:02 PM

My bad, I forgot it was 24p even with the large text telling me so :) Still I would love to see some fast motion between the two cameras at 1/500 and 1/1000 as this is where Long GOP HDV shows some pretty bad artifacts at times. The main thing I would like to see is if the 35MB HQ holds up.

Bill Heslip January 4th, 2008 11:57 PM

When viewing the motion test, I'm seeing a lot of stuttering or strobing (or whatever it's called) during the EX1 zoom out (next to last shot?). I guess choppy describes it best. The HVX200 version exhibit it, nor any other shot. Is this a playback issue on my end or does anyone else see it, too?

Steven Thomas January 5th, 2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Schmitz (Post 802635)
The Sony EX1 seems to be the same as the Fuji F31fd was for photo.

- cold colours

:D

regards Dennis

Yes, but forunately there's a little something known as "white balance". LOL!

Phil Bloom January 5th, 2008 12:35 AM

it's a shame the white balances were not matched up as warmer images are generally more pleasing to the eye naturally.

Steven Thomas January 5th, 2008 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Agreed. For giggles, I warmed up (adjusted white balance) the EX1 and HVX200 in two examples. I down-sized for comparison.
No other adjustments were made, just white balance. Possibly to warm, but I tend to do this for the reasons Phil just mentioned.

Dom Stevenson January 5th, 2008 08:16 PM

Interesting thread.
I'd say the Sony wins hands down here. The Lens is wider and i prefer the colours and details in the images. When you consider the fact that P2 storage already seems out of date and that EX's cards are likely to drop in price due to being widely manufactured, it's hard to see why anyone would buy the Panasonic. And that's before considering the 1/2 chip in the Sony.

Personally i'm still happy with my Canon XHA1 and am prepared to wait another year before going over to solid state cards, by which time all the other manufacturers will have something out to challenge the Sony and the cards will be half the price.

Steven Thomas January 5th, 2008 10:01 PM

Dom, good thinking on your part.
I've said many time before tha Canon XH A1 is one heck of a camera.
Times are going to get interesting in the next year or so.

Greg Boston January 6th, 2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Devino (Post 802597)
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to give a heads up that we've posted a bunch of footage and stills from a shootout we did over the weekend between these two cameras. It's not all encompassing or completely scientific, we just put both cameras next to each other and pointed them at the same scene, with out of the box presets on both cameras. I think what we got is pretty interesting, so check it out!

Here's the link:

http://www.pairofhands.net/Ex1%20vs%...0Shootout.html

Matt,

In the future DO NOT crosspost between forums. I see that you are new to the site. We have a no cross posting policy as we want all responses to a topic in one thread.

Thanks in advance,

-gb-

Peter Moretti January 6th, 2008 04:26 AM

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the HVX. The Sony is clearly sharper and better in low light, but HVX holds its own in terms of overall image. And its colors seem richer, I don't think that's just because of the white balancing.

The Sony definitely wins, but the HVX looks damn good.