DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Cannot write to media error message (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/112159-cannot-write-media-error-message.html)

John Godwin January 11th, 2008 11:33 AM

Cannot write to media error message

I love my Ex-1, but I did have an interesting problem Wednesday. During recording on a 16gb card it suddenly gave me an error message, something like "Cannot write to media A". There was plenty of record time left on the card. I had to remove that card and switch to the other one (just switching to the other card didn't work) before I could resume.

After the interview I reinserted the problem card and the camera asked if I wanted to restore media, which I did, and it did. Everything was there up until the time I received the warning.

When the craziness of editing today and tomorrow is over I plan to put the same card back in and let it run and see what happens.

Anyone else see this type of thing yet?

Brendan Pyatt January 11th, 2008 11:55 AM

That is quite worrying. you are lucky you had another card to use. I was banking on these cards being super reliable...

Although i do like the sound of the solid restore function!

John Godwin January 11th, 2008 12:01 PM

Of course I was interviewing the main guy, so my first concern was to do something that worked and get on with the interview. In hindsight, I probably could have just removed the card and then plugged it right back in and gotten the restore message. Restoring only took a few seconds.

Thierry Humeau January 11th, 2008 12:36 PM

Often, when I plug a card in an ExpressCard reader such as the one in the Macbook Pro, eject it and put it back in the camera. I receive a message asking me to restore the media. I say yes and after a second or two, everything is back to normal. Does anyone see this?

Thierry.

Brent Ethington January 11th, 2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 806863)
Often, when I plug a card in an ExpressCard reader such as the one in the Macbook Pro, eject it and put it back in the camera. I receive a message asking me to restore the media. I say yes and after a second or two, everything is back to normal. Does anyone see this?

Thierry.

Yep - I've seen this a number of times.

Paul Dhadialla January 12th, 2008 04:55 PM

Guys, an interesting note that is related to this -> this from the manual:

"Approximately 600 clips can be recorded on one SxS memory card at maximum. If the number of recorded clips reaches the limit the remaining time indication becomes "0" and the message "Media Full" is displayed"

I guess this is rare but could happen

Thanks
Paul

Greg Boston January 12th, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla (Post 807366)
Guys, an interesting note that is related to this -> this from the manual:

"Approximately 600 clips can be recorded on one SxS memory card at maximum. If the number of recorded clips reaches the limit the remaining time indication becomes "0" and the message "Media Full" is displayed"

I guess this is rare but could happen

Thanks
Paul

There's a similar limitation with the disc based cameras, but it's 300 clips. I haven't ever hit that limitation yet.

-gb-

John Godwin January 15th, 2008 01:03 PM

I finally had time to reformat and test the card today, and it ran all the way through with no problem. I just locked the camera down and ran the shot, which had no motion in it, really, and the card held about 57 minutes of video.

When it locked up before it was nowhere near 600 clips. More like 4.

Bob Grant January 15th, 2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 806863)

Thierry.

I'm not a Mac person. This could be the result of the same process that's caused problems with P2 cards. From memory the OS creates a stub, in the process it seems data can become corrupted. I'm also told there is a way to disable this in OSX. There's some advice from Barry about proper handling of P2 cards with Macs here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=corruption+P2 and a search will reveal more. If it can happen to a P2 card it could happen to a SxS card so taking the same precautions would seem prudent.