DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 to KONA LH to FCP 24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/112276-ex1-kona-lh-fcp-24p.html)

Jay Morris January 13th, 2008 11:24 AM

EX1 to KONA LH to FCP 24p

I shot a bunch of test footage today. I will create a link and put some clips up for viewing after I edit something together.

First, I have a quick question...

I have a Mac Book Pro with the latest version of Final Cut Pro. I know that I can use a USB cable, the EX1, the Sony Conversion Software and FCP to bring in my EX1 clips, but I would rather edit on my old G5 with an older verrsion of FCP. I want to do this because I have a big monitor hooked up to the system (I'd rather only use the laptop as an editor when I am on the road).

How do I get my EX1 footage into my older version of Final Cut Pro?

I have a Kona LH card with SDI in, so I attached the camera to that and created a DVCPRO HD 1080i 29.97 Project (it's a Kona LH Easy Setup). I captured the footage live and everything looks good.

Is this the best way to capture using my old G5?

Would working with native Ex1 files on the latest version of Final Cut Pro look better or about the same?

Thanks!

Also, if someone can answer the above question, I have a second question...

I shot in 1080 24p, but digitized 1080i. How do I make it 1080 24p? Would there be an advantage to going from 1080i to 1080p? If I shot this footage for broadcast, 1080i or 720p are the only options, right?

Jay Morris January 13th, 2008 12:15 PM

I installed Final Cut Studio 2 on my laptop. I guess that I could install it again on my G5, right (I am not sure how many computers I can put it on)?

I think that I would just need to upgrade my Operating System. I am using 10.3.9 now. I would need to upgrade to tiger or leopard. This would allow me to edit with XDCAM files directly using the Sony software. Should I go this route? Does leopard have any major issues?

Andrew Wilson January 13th, 2008 08:54 PM

If you have to ask then technically, you can only have it on one machine. You would know if you bought multiple site licenses.

I'm running 6.0.2 on 10.4.11 and it's running great. (macpro 8x3.0)

I usually wait until at least a .2 revision of an operating system to upgrade unless I absolutely have to.

Noah Yuan-Vogel January 14th, 2008 12:55 PM

I dont know what the exact license terms are for FCS2 but the installer does allow you to install it on as many computers as you want, but the software checks over your network for other computers running the software with the same license, so you can only open it on one computer at a time. I would say it is safe to install on several computers for convenience, but if you plan to use it on more than one computer simultaneously you should buy extra licenses. It is technically possible to run the same license on two computers as long as one is disconnected from the network, but it is not legal and it would be a pain to work that way.

as for leopard, it has plenty of issues, many of which are known and fixable but it's just a pain in the butt to have to go through and fix them. ive installed leopard on 3 computers and all of them had different issues that i had to resolve. I would highly recommend just using tiger unless there is a particular feature in leopard you really need (and i dont mean being able to change your background in ichat) and dont mind a few hiccups.

Vince Gaffney January 14th, 2008 12:57 PM

The SLA for FCS 2 allows two installs. One on a workstation and one on a notebook. They are not to be used at the same time.

Happened to read it while i was doing an install.

V

Andrew Wilson January 14th, 2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Gaffney (Post 808164)

Happened to read it while i was doing an install.

V

So you're the person who reads all that stuff. Nice to meet you. ;)

Vince Gaffney January 14th, 2008 01:27 PM

I took my turn. Next...