DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Hood recommendation for EX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/113733-hood-recommendation-ex1.html)

Michael Stewart February 1st, 2008 12:09 PM

Hood recommendation for EX1?

What is everyone using?

Thanks
Mike

Paul Cronin February 1st, 2008 12:50 PM

Portabrace CBA-EX1 it should arrive mid next week. I had a Kata that was from my Z1 but I did not like the fit.

Paul Joy February 1st, 2008 03:33 PM

One of the stands at the video forum had one on display yesterday. It feels really nice, much softer than I expected. Unfortunately it was not fitted to a camera which was a shame.

I have to say though that I did not feel like I was holding something that should cost over £200. I'm not sure where that price comes from but it does seem a lot for what it is.

I thought KATA's rain cover looked quite nice, what problems did you have with it?

Paul.

Paul Cronin February 1st, 2008 04:04 PM

I agree Paul it seems like a lot of money for such a small item but it is hand made. I will let you know what I think since mine comes mid next week. Then goes on the road and get worked hard.

Ola Christoffersson February 4th, 2008 02:17 PM

I got my RS-EX1 rain slicker today. Supposedly from the very first batch. My camera actually went all the way to Vermont to model for this and all other PortaBrace products for the EX1 in mid december.
Anyway - I was impressed with the overall quality and features. I have not owned a PB rainslicker before so I did not know what to expect but it seems to be able to keep the camera dry in very heavy rain. I can get to all controls fairly easy and the viewfinder can be viewed both from above, below or straight on while protected from the rain. This is acomplished by using transparent protection both above it and below.
I find it a bit time consuming to get the camera "dressed" but this might improve when I get som training.
Also - the only inconveniance I have discovered this far is that it is a little hard to get a good grip on the focus through the cover. The velcro is scratching my hand as I reach in to pull focus in an annoying way.

Benjamin Eckstein February 4th, 2008 02:31 PM

Ola, can you use the LCD with the slicker or just the viewfinder? I assume just the viewfinder.

Ola Christoffersson February 4th, 2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein (Post 820048)
Ola, can you use the LCD with the slicker or just the viewfinder? I assume just the viewfinder.

Oh - sorry! When I wrote viewfinder I meant the LCD. Makes more sense now doesn't it? ;-) You can ALSO use the viewfinder.

Paul Cronin February 4th, 2008 04:18 PM

Ola that is good new I look forward to my hood showing up on Wed.