DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Picture profile for theatre filming (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/115446-picture-profile-theatre-filming.html)

Greg Hawkes February 22nd, 2008 02:45 AM

Picture profile for theatre filming

I will be filming alongside a friend shortly to test how the EDX1 handles the varying light levels and colours of a live theatre performance of a musical.

My friend will be using two DSR300s (which I also have) and I will use one EX1.

The only two picture profiles I have set are based on Doug Jensen's suggestion for outdoor filming:
Matrix: On
White balance 5600K
Select: High Sat.
Gamma Cine 4
Black -3
Black Gamma -2
This gives me very good results outside.

I have modified PP2 but only changing the white balance to 3200K.

Any suggestions for settings for the theatre shoot?

Michael H. Stevens February 22nd, 2008 04:31 PM

Cine4 is best for dull scenes but with a theater and lots of dark areas you might want to stretch the blacks and not compress them more. Also as lighting is likely always changing you may consider AEB or at least do some manual measurements. Consider shutter OFF to give a bit more exposure. Don't be tempted to raise gain above +6db.

Greg Hawkes February 23rd, 2008 04:49 AM

H i Michael thanks for your reply

What is AEB?

When and where do you suggest I do a maual white balance.

I will not be able to see the show before it starts as I am simply there to compare how the EX1 handles the different light levels hopefully without too much manual iris adjustment and in a perfect world none.

Bill Ravens February 23rd, 2008 08:18 AM

I would recommend against ever using any AEB or AWB for a theatrical production. The changing gobo light colors causes fluctuations in the camera auto settings that are very distracting on the final footage.

Phil Bloom February 23rd, 2008 08:26 AM

I would listen to Bill!

Greg Hawkes February 23rd, 2008 08:41 AM

Thanks Bill and Phil

Which do you think is better.

Preset 3200K and adjust in post?

no opportunity here to do a white manual white balance as I am not attending the rehearsal . Even if I where able to which scene would you set the white balance? These type of productions often have widely different lighting sets.

Phil Bloom February 23rd, 2008 08:42 AM

preset 3200k

Gregor Baumann February 26th, 2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens (Post 831059)
Cine4 is best for dull scenes but with a theater and lots of dark areas you might want to stretch the blacks and not compress them more.

I've read in another thread, that C4 adds black stretch compared to C3 or C1. That conforms with my tests of the EX1!

Greg Hawkes February 27th, 2008 02:41 AM

After my own simple tests have decided to film half of test shoot with 3200K white balance preset and half with ATW.

As for Gamma. What about Cine2? Our main concern is not to overexpose the frequently overbrightly lit (from a vide cameras viewpoint) scenes.

Bill Ravens February 27th, 2008 08:27 AM

Cine2 is designed to limit the gamma to hard limits at IRE 100, to force broadcast legal values. Use this preset in low contrast conditions and beware of blowing out hi-lites.

Greg Hawkes February 27th, 2008 08:32 AM

Bil thanks for your comments.

So what would you reccomend trying for this theatre shoot bearing in mind not whanting to blow the highlights out.

Piotr Wozniacki February 27th, 2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 833974)
Cine2 is designed to limit the gamma to hard limits at IRE 100, to force broadcast legal values. Use this preset in low contrast conditions and beware of blowing out hi-lites.

Bill, are you sure? My common sense is telling me quite the opposite: in low contrast conditions, one of the following two approaches should be adopted:

- if potential noise from gain in stretched blacks could be a problem, crush them even further while taking full advantage of mids and highlights (use STD1)

- if the overal lighting is not so bad as to reguire using considerable gain, stretch the blacks to get more detail, still avoiding to waste the highlights (they are not dangerous, as we're talking low-ligh generally; use STD4)

CINE gammas (especially CINE2) would steal too much of the precious light!

All this IMHO; correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Michael H. Stevens February 27th, 2008 09:09 PM

Clarification about what I said regarding using AWB. I do tend to type too quick and not be specific enought. I DO NOT recommend leaving AEB ON. I mean you can just switch to AWB with the joystic to take a quick reading that you can program into your PP. You can do this in under 15 sec which would be no problem in the edit. ALSO when setting preset you must allow for what temp you want and not go 100% to the measure else you will as Bill said get color changes that are too much to be unnoticed. Sorry for being to brief.