DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Comparing Schneider WA adapters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/115957-comparing-schneider-wa-adapters.html)

Clark Peters February 28th, 2008 12:17 PM

Comparing Schneider WA adapters

I have a question about the Schneider WA adapters. Aside from the obvious differences (one is wider, the other is zoom-through and costs twice as much), how much optical difference is there between the 0.6 and 0.75 lenses when fully zoomed out?

Resolution, chromatic aberration, and "glowing highlights" are my biggest concerns. Rectilinear distortion is less of a problem for what I'm shooting.

Thanks.
Clark

Ryan Avery February 29th, 2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Peters (Post 834702)
I have a question about the Schneider WA adapters. Aside from the obvious differences (one is wider, the other is zoom-through and costs twice as much), how much optical difference is there between the 0.6 and 0.75 lenses when fully zoomed out?

Resolution, chromatic aberration, and "glowing highlights" are my biggest concerns. Rectilinear distortion is less of a problem for what I'm shooting.

Thanks.
Clark

Anytime you add more peices of glass, the chance for chormaitc abberation, flare, and resolution loss is increased. Having said that, we attempt to make the finest quality attachment you can buy. Therefore, our .75x has the chance to display more image problems but it certainly is not the case in actual practice.

While both pieces are excellent, the .6x is a simpler single element design and therefore sharper and less prone to issues. How much is up for debate. In my opinion, the difference is not noticeable but to each his own opinion. With the proper application of a sunshade (which we offer for almost all our attachments) the incidence of flare and other issues is greatly reduced or eliminated leaving the best chance for your image to be as sharp as you can get out of an accessory attachment.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Clark Peters February 29th, 2008 05:09 PM

Thanks Ryan. I was hoping that I wouldn't be giving up clarity to achieve a wider view.
Clark

Joachim Hoge August 12th, 2008 02:04 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I´m hoping Ryan could answer.
I Just got the 0.6 for the EX1 and it worked fine when I tried it the first time.
When we put it on today everything was out of focus. We could not make it work, any idea what have happened?

Ian Briscoe August 12th, 2008 02:57 PM

Joachim

I think you have to make sure the focus ring is in the "AF/MF" position - NOT "Full MF" - and you may also have to turn Macro on.

Ian

Ryan Avery August 21st, 2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Briscoe (Post 919761)
Joachim

I think you have to make sure the focus ring is in the "AF/MF" position - NOT "Full MF" - and you may also have to turn Macro on.

Ian

You got it.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Alister Chapman August 21st, 2008 11:02 AM

Surely a single element lens must introduce some CA as there can be no correction for red/blue dispersion with a single element glass lens. Any single glass element will cause dispersion at different wavelengths. It is only by using combinations of special glass lenses with opposing dispersion characteristics that CA can be eliminated (It normally takes 3 lenses to produce a true apochromat).

Buck Forester August 21st, 2008 11:28 AM

I'm no opticologist, but I got the Schneider/Century .55X fisheye adapter and it looks suh-sweet! It will be used often. It looks very sharp to my eyes.

Ryan Avery August 21st, 2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 923053)
Surely a single element lens must introduce some CA as there can be no correction for red/blue dispersion with a single element glass lens. Any single glass element will cause dispersion at different wavelengths. It is only by using combinations of special glass lenses with opposing dispersion characteristics that CA can be eliminated (It normally takes 3 lenses to produce a true apochromat).

That is correct but some coatings can minimize CA. We try our best to reduce this effect usually with good success.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics