DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX-1 and Macprobook (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/115978-ex-1-macprobook.html)

Tito Haggardt February 28th, 2008 04:40 PM

EX-1 and Macprobook

what, if any, would be the minimum add ons to a macprobook to insure compatability with the Sony EX-1?
thanks i don't know much about mac in general
tito

Steven D. Martin February 28th, 2008 05:05 PM

I'm using an EX1 and a MacBook Pro; it is a remarkably amazing combination with no accessories necessary.

Tito Haggardt February 28th, 2008 05:32 PM

thats great news!
so a 15"/2.4GHz/200GB bottom of the line model will do the job.
do you edit on your laptop? FCP?
thanks for your help
tito

Steven D. Martin February 28th, 2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito Haggardt (Post 834896)
thats great news!
so a 15"/2.4GHz/200GB bottom of the line model will do the job.

I'll be shooting an hour-long PBS special in Germany this spring. I plan to do shoot it with the EX1 and edit on my MacBook Pro (last year's model) with a Western Digital 250gig Passport drive attached. I won't need my larger machine until I do the color correction pass and need two monitors.

I've been testing for the last month and have no reservations about this workflow. This setup is truly unbelievable. My last show was done with a JVC HD100, and I thought IT was amazing- but there's no comparison between it and the EX1.

Tito Haggardt February 28th, 2008 06:52 PM

thank you Steven

Alister Chapman February 29th, 2008 03:21 AM

I use a plain vanilla MacBook and even that works fine.

Paul Joy February 29th, 2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 835092)
I use a plain vanilla MacBook and even that works fine.

But only the Macbook Pro has the Express card slot for direct offload.

By the way, new models were released a couple of days ago, now with updated cpu's and multi-touch. No Blue-ray though, so it looks as though I'll have to go for the external burner.

Paul.

Steven D. Martin February 29th, 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 835249)
But only the Macbook Pro has the Express card slot for direct offload.

By the way, new models were released a couple of days ago, now with updated cpu's and multi-touch. No Blue-ray though, so it looks as though I'll have to go for the external burner.

Paul.

IS there an external Blu-ray burner compatible with the Mac? Will DVD Studio Pro ever support the Blu-ray format?

Gabe Strong February 29th, 2008 12:28 PM

Not only is there an external Blu ray drive that is compatible with Mac, you can even have a slot loading Blu ray drive installed on your Macbook pro! Of course that means you have to ship your computer off for a couple days...which I hate to do.

However, DVD Studio Pro is NOT compatible with Blu ray yet. So you can get the drive, but you have to use Toast 8 or Adobe's Encore or something like that.

Leonard Levy February 29th, 2008 01:06 PM

If you intend to edit with it I would consider getting external Sata drives and a Sata to expresscard adapter. They're faster

Tito Haggardt February 29th, 2008 03:27 PM

"you can even have a slot loading Blu ray drive installed on your Macbook pro!"

apple does this and the sata adapter is also from them?

do i add these things on when i order from the apple store?

thanks everyone for the feedback and please post any other add ons that would make the workflow smoother.

tito

Rob Katz February 29th, 2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven D. Martin (Post 834906)
I'll be shooting an hour-long PBS special in Germany this spring. I plan to do shoot it with the EX1 and edit on my MacBook Pro (last year's model) with a Western Digital 250gig Passport drive attached. .

sdm-

is the passport usb2 or fw?

will u be leaving your original footage and edit on the macbook pro's hd?

aren't u concerned about backing up all of your footage beyond the passport drive?

i'm a novice looking to learn so these questions are intended in that spirit.

thanks in advance for any and all thoughts anyone cares to share

be well

rob

Gabe Strong March 1st, 2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito Haggardt (Post 835421)
"you can even have a slot loading Blu ray drive installed on your Macbook pro!"

apple does this and the sata adapter is also from them?

do i add these things on when i order from the apple store?

thanks everyone for the feedback and please post any other add ons that would make the workflow smoother.

tito

No, Apple does NOT do this. This is a third party add on, which is why I was mentioning that you have to send your laptop away AFTER you get it from Apple. Here's one company that offers it:

http://fastmac.com:16080/slim_bluray.php

Steven D. Martin March 1st, 2008 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Katz (Post 835612)
is the passport usb2 or fw?
will u be leaving your original footage and edit on the macbook pro's hd?
aren't u concerned about backing up all of your footage beyond the passport drive?
rob

It's USB self-powered. No, I don't have enough extra space on my local HD, so yes, I'm concerned about data loss, but will copy everything to another HD as soon as I hit the ground back home.

Paulo Teixeira March 1st, 2008 05:46 PM

According to this article, a Blu-Ray drive should hopefully be out this year.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ok_drives.html

So I guess the true reason that Apple doesn’t offer it is because it isn’t perfect yet.