DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   what's better: install VMWare & Windows on MBP... OR buy cheap Dell laptop? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/116039-whats-better-install-vmware-windows-mbp-buy-cheap-dell-laptop.html)

Malcolm Hamilton February 29th, 2008 02:08 PM

what's better: install VMWare & Windows on MBP... OR buy cheap Dell laptop?

Hi there,
I'm a long-time Mac user (never owned a Windows PC), and soon-to-be EX owner, who has finally accepted the fact that I'll have to use the PC version of Sony's Clip Browser. The Mac version doesn't convert EX .mp4 to MXF (which is what I need for Avid).
So...
What's the better of these two alternatives (by the way, I have a MacBook Pro, which I want to use for editing):

1. Install VMWare or Parallels (or possibly CrossOver?), and I guess Windows, on one partition of the MBP hard drive, and then, in the field, use the PC version of Sony Clip Browser to 're-wrap' from the SXS card to MXF on my desktop. When I get back to my office, I guess I'd have to boot into Mac OS and import these MXF files into Avid the way any Avid/PC user would do.

OR

2. buy a cheap Dell (or Sony) laptop with an ExpressCard slot, and transfer to this in the field. Then, using 'MacDrive' software (which makes a Mac-formatted hard drive work with a Windows PC), I'd back up onto a hard drive as well (this idea came from Craig Hollenback), and when I got back to my office I could then attach this hard drive to my MacBook Pro, copy the files over, and import into Avid.

Alternative 1. requires the purchase of VMWare (or whatever; less than $100) but also, I think, I'd have to purchase Windows.
Alternative 2. requires the purchase of a cheap PC laptop.

Any advice re the best workflow arrangement? I don't want to spend more than I need to, of course, but I do want to find the easiest way to do it. The less I complicate things for myself, the better. (Of course, Sony and Avid could simplify things for me by updating their software, but somehow I'm not at the top of their lists).
Cheers,
Malcolm

Joseph H. Moore February 29th, 2008 05:37 PM

You don't have to reboot to use VMWare Fusion or Parallels. You can share the files seamlessly, just drag and drop.

Malcolm Hamilton February 29th, 2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 835498)
You don't have to reboot to use VMWare Fusion or Parallels. You can share the files seamlessly, just drag and drop.

Thank you Joseph... that sounds good. This should be obvious, but I have to ask: do I need to install Windows? or can I just install VMWare Fusion or Parallels?
Malcolm

Joseph H. Moore February 29th, 2008 06:07 PM

Yes, you'll need a copy of Windows. If you're starting fresh, I'd recommend Parallels/Windows XP Professional as the most stable combination. (Vista is still a bit hairy, IMHO.)

Malcolm Hamilton February 29th, 2008 10:46 PM

Thanks again. I'll check into the cost of XP Professional. And then I guess I can compare this to the cost of buying a PC laptop (that would come with Windows installed).

... which takes me back to my conundrum. Which is the better of the two alternatives? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Malcolm